Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’m not aware. They’re scoring at the moment and in September plans are to be drawn up. On the walks it was mentioned about drinkers, fencing, gates and roadways been in the actions (they want to avoid poaching, overgrazing andunder grazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eire23

Has anyone on here got lowland commonage as in grassland. Any idea how it's scored? I have the two shares of ot so only me grazing it but I haven't a clue how it will be scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot understand why if you were in commonage or a CP area why you be unsure of joining. Ambiguity is the case in many schemes you may get caught in one but it like monopoly ''do not pass go do not collect 200 euro''

Look at the lads that did not join the silage imitative last year's. Join you can always pull out and pay back the money

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Also joined organics this year so any land in Acres I would loose organic payment etc. is the main reason. The rules on organic was clear. Acres Coop….not so much bar telling you how much it could be worth maximum to you.

I can accept that and generally if in organics unless you have land at the lower rate there is little point in putting too much into Acres. However the exceptions to this where an action might get you to tier one so you could draw other benefits. But in general if I was unsure I would apply and if in organice leave out area base actions ubless they paid substantially more than organics.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are measures in Acres that don't take land from Organic payment, esp trees and hedges. I'm losing 2Ha from Organic as the payment on those for a riprarian zone is much higher. I too was wary of going into Acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Npi’s and actions list no reference costs yet tho.Capital Infrastructures such as gates etc will only be paid 50% costs

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Spot on re acres actions to choose if joining organic scheme.full symbol organic here and chose 2.5 k mtrs grassland margin ,2k mtrs riparian strip and new hedgerow .total 7k with .8 of a hectare deduction from organic payment eg 160 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Went to a talk yesterday.

a few things that struck me about the score cards were- if you’ve specific wild flowers to a grazed pasture in a bog area, you won’t be marked on them and vice versa.

when looking at the quality of your bounds, they pick the worst 30m and rate you on that. So if I’ve my bounds fenced and a neighbour doesn’t and they have broken down the ditch- it would be marked low for me. But we are in a cooperative zone so he would too if he is in the scheme.

they were telling us to leave 2m strips around a meadow when cutting silage- it’s July 25th. We have them already cut.

Had my land scored lately, I was under the impression only my commonage would be scored. Bit leery of how this might affect organics, still ready to pull the plug on acres if it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Never seen such a balls of a scheme. I've been lumped in with the Burren even though I'm not in the Burren. It seems no dry stone wall maintenance is allowed with these clowns. My advisor spent about seven hours walking the land for flowers. Any evidence of ryegrass in a field and you'll get almost nothing. The Burren lad's reasoning is that if you have ryegrass in your field it's profitable and you don't need the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

Anyone pull out of acres altogether? I'm guessing it's no big deal as long as you do it before the money is paid out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Got a call from the Advisers staff today, they scored mine yesterday.

Not too bad, but they warned that a disk harrow in the corner of one field needed moved, " in case you have an inspection".

When I asked why this would be a problem, they couldn't rightly say ... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭older by the day

Did any one else get a bill from teagasc today. I paid 550 for the plan last year and now 100.

Sher I didn't see a penny yet. I have nothing done yet either. Any one know the price of trees and hedging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I am seriously tempted at pulling out of this whole scheme.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

Had the adviser out here last week and told him the same thing.He said he's hearing the same from a lot of people.I think the advisers are just as pissed off about it as we are.

Got Hedging for new hedgerow at 60 cent per plant in april . Minimim of 5 plants per metre required.The tree option is quite expensive when u take tree,tree guard and stake price.Could end up round 10 to15 eu per tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

100 trees pays 621 per year....so 3105 for the entire scheme....and could cost 1500 plus the hardship of planting!!

Fùck that....

I put down 100 trees to get into the scheme....its just not worth it...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, but you're not going to pull them up again when the scheme finishes..........

I have another question. I'm down for the 1m grass margins. Because it was fenced off for reps. Only problem is that some of it is full of bushes and briars. Will I have to clear. The scrub. With a digger or round up

• Advertisement

Dont touch it .Just make sure fence is out at least 1mtre from mearning-ditch in my opinion.Spray a big no no as the whole poimt is to promote biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I copied and pasted from ACRES specs for Grass Margins - Grassland.

"Requirements

1. Create a grass margin by 15 May in year 1 by erecting a permanent stock proof fence

2, 3, or 6 metres out from the field boundary. Only one margin width can be selected

across the holding. To be eligible for this action, the minimum continuous length to be

delivered is 10m. If selected as a priority action, the minimum length to be delivered

is 500m. The maximum length for payment is 2,500m.

2. The location and length (metres) must be identified on the LPIS parcel(s) and marked

on the map submitted.

3. To create a grass litter layer, you cannot cut or graze the margin between 15 May Year

1 and 31 August Year 2.

4. From year 2 onwards you must cut the margin between September and February but

not below 10cm to ensure the litter layer is retained. Alternatively, margins may be

managed by grazing, but this can only take place during the month of September and

ensure that no poaching occurs, and the litter layer remains.

5. Chemical or organic fertiliser or lime cannot be applied to the margin.

6. Pesticides and herbicides are not permitted, except for the spot treatment of

noxious/invasive weeds.

7. Margins must be stock proof and fenced with permanent stakes and wire appropriate

for the livestock type to exclude all livestock from the margin with the exception of

September if the margin is managed by grazing.

8. The margin(s) must remain in the same location for the duration of the contract.

Additional guidance

• Appropriate management to create this essential litter layer is to allow the grasses to

grow tall over summer in year one by not cutting or grazing so that this grass will then

collapse in the autumn. Fresh grass will grow up through this and the following

summer most of the first year’s growth will have died back and formed a litter layer.

• Depending on the height of the litter layer after year one you may need to cut higher

than 10cm.

• When margins are cut, it is recommended to remove offtakes to reduce the overall

fertility of the margin"

i wonder will my bushes and briars ever do if there was an inspection. Surely the acres don't want us to destroy a natural habitat. They say it should be cut in year two. My fences have thorny wire. Between the cost and labor of the trees and hedgerow and if the fence along the watercourses need changing. I must think seriously about pulling out. I gave 550 for the plan but can't be helped

First Owl next box nearly completed. I will put a bit of mineral felt over the top of it even though I am fitting them inside.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You'd be better off phoning your advisor for advice. We didn't choose that option so I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

On the tree guard and stake, these look good value @ €1.95 each. I know you have to order 1,000 but a few sharing;

Those look excellent value compared to price i got in april last of 3.50 to 6 for guard ,2 to 4.75 for stake and 2 to 6 for tree depending on type and height.Need to be sure any supplier is dept approved like in glass .

• Advertisement

Was that an owl house built in the boom. Will have to reinforce the shed to hold that up. Where did you find the measurements

Advertisement