Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

How do you reckon I am peddling wrong information? If there is no impact and nobody cares, this would be a non story, there would be "crickets" from the UK treasury and Alison Rose would still be employed. Far from a non impact story and a lot of people care.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, she did resign, which is a big deal. But she resigned because of the leak, not because of the account closure decision. That decision, as you'll have noted, still stands.

It's true that the Treasury aren't finished yet, but the proposals they have announced are as I outlined. The likelihood that they will prohibit discrimination in banking on the basis of political opinion is not very high. There would be a couple of problems with such a proposal:

• Why just prohibit discrimination in banking? Other protected characteristics apply to all businesses; if political opinion requires protection, why does it only require protection in a banking context? Shouldn't we be thinking of amending the equality legislation to make political opinion a protected characterist generally? If not, why not? And why do the reasons for not doing this in other businesses not apply to banking?
    • A right to basic banking services is already assured by existing law. Doesn't this mean that there is, if anything, less need to single out banking, as opposed to, say, internet or telephone services? If your concern here is freedom of speech, how can you say that banks can't deny you any of their services because of your political opinions but internet providers, social media business, newspapers, etc remain free to deny you all of their services?
    • How is this going to affect efforts to combat money-laundering/financing of terrorism/etc? Banks are expected to co-operate with the authorities on these matters, and a lot of the actions they are asked to take are intelligence-driven. If banks have to justify their actions to their customers by showing that they are not motivated by a distaste for the customer's politics, they only way they can do that is by showing what does motivate them, which means disclosing the intelligence. That's going to be a big problem. For that reason alone, I suspect the police and the intelligence agencies will not support any suggestion to expand the right to banking services in the way suggested.

For all these reasons, it's a hundred to one against the tiny little tail of Farage and his posh person's bank account being allowed to wag the dog of the banker-customer relationship in the way some of Farage's softer-brained fanboys are predicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well after reading her statement, I’m not surprised she’s stepping down - speaking to the media herself about it was a huge error in judgement on her part.

But the whole story just shows what a snake Farage is. His original complaint was that he was booted out because the banks are trying to run him out of the country for masterminding Brexit(completely false) and that he was being persecuted solely on the basis of his political beliefs(again, completely false).

Now because of an error or judgement by the CEO he’s on his show doing his man of the people schtick saying they should all be fired.

Ironically enough, the net result of this is that Farage is less likely to have luxury banking services made available to him. Why would you want to bother with someone who will shout lies to the high hills about you or your company if you do something he doesn’t like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If his account is restored and it will be, it will be by the New CEO of Coutts, after the current one steps down.

No CEO can drag their business through online the mud like he has, light a bonfire to probity and procedures, business reputation for personal animus and survive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Farage wasn't debanked for his political beliefs. This is objectively true.

Nobody cares about Alison Rose since she's stepped down and the government is just virtue signalling like they do with literally everything else.

Remember these?

These have all been done, yes? That's how we know that new regulations on banking based on the word of a grifter will be enacted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He doesn't have enough money for a Coutts bank account. Him blaring everything about them closing his account has caused them a reputational risk. Can't see them opening an account again for him.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Great too see the Natwest boss have to step down. I can't stand Farage or anything he stands for but she crossed a line and targeted him because of his political beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the EU? thats a Segway ! I reserve judgment that these rules havnt been abused by hacktivist staff

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No they didn't..

She stood down because she messed up and shared private information and as already pointed out by other posters , Bankers live and die on their reputation and discretion.

Coutts did absolutely nothing wrong in closing Farages account and broke no laws.

He was not "targeting for his politics" - he was no longer profitable to the bank AND he represented a reputational risk due to his public persona.

The document that Farage himself published details this - It also ironically discusses the likelihood of Farage having a public melt-down about losing his account and playing the victim card but they decided that on balance even with that risk it was still better to end their relationship with him.

They under-estimated how loud Farage would scream and how he would twist the truth to position himself as a victim though.

Farage still isn't getting his Coutts account back nor will he get a similar account from any other Bank either.

He'll be offered a standard business account from a high street bank just like the "everyman" he claims to be and claims to represent.

His access to the world of Banking for the hyper-elite is gone forever.

Well that's nonsense. She didn't even really know the full reasons.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What? You think banks have staff flouting rules commonly?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I didnt say commonly , but if there is one, there is more than one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He'll be offered a standard business account from a high street bank just like the "everyman" he claims to be and claims to represent.

His access to the world of Banking for the hyper-elite is gone forever.

Given how your predictions have gone since the start of the thread, I'd be taking that with a pinch of salt.

Right now, I'd say Farage is thrilled with how things have gone and he is exactly where he wants to be, ridiculous as the situation might be in a clash of a millionaire vs his private bank.

What a disastrous gamble that "reputational risk" which was practically zero proved to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It wasn't a gamble. The bank expected that as with all their other customers, Farage would be too embarrassed to lie about it and draw attention to his situation publicly. Most people with accounts with such a bank would not want the world to know that they had lost such access.

They completely miscalculated in that Farage has no level of embarrassment. The fact he got Brexit so completely wrong and has led to such a massive cost to the UK and he still feels no shame should have warned them of that.

The reputational risk comes from the subsequent leak. Not the closure of Farage's account.

The CEO should have kept her mouth shut. Farage and others have shown that facts don't matter, so little point in trying to correct the record. That she made things worse is truly astonishing, one wonders how she ever got into her position given such a complete lack of thinking on her part.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've no doubt that Farage is thrilled.

All this has re-ignited many grifting opportunities for him at a time when he was rapidly fading from public view.

Not sure that I made many predictions , but nothing that I've said so far has proven to be wrong.

I said that he didn't have enough money for an account - He Doesn't.

I said he wasn't "targeted for his poltics" - He wasn't.

I said it wasn't a revenge conspiracy because of Brexit like Farage claimed - It wasn't.

Rose resigned not because they were wrong to close Farages account , she resigned because she shared client information when she shouldn't.

The information she shared was accurate (if incomplete) but she shouldn't have shared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Shoog

I for one predicted exactly what has happened to Rose and Farage. I think that few here who do not support Farage are remotely surprised that she resigned.

Every single prediction you have made since the start of this thread has been proven false.

It started with conspiracy theories about Russian money, then allegations Farage must have been involved in some dodgy dealings / illegality, then to the oft-repeated lie that political views had nothing to do with the decision; and so on and so on and so on.

Your positions lack credibility because they are coloured and tainted by a biased disdain for Farage. You even continue to repeat misinformation even after it has been proven to be false (as you have done in the post quoted).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you accept that Farage initial portrayal of the situation was inaccurate?

The only person lying in that Tweet is Andrew Neil - As the vast majority of replies to his tweet (that you didn't include for some reason) point out quite clearly.

There is a seeming inability on the part of some people to comprehend that two separate things can be true at the same time.

He didn't have enough money AND he was a reputational risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Shoog

Please finally answer the question - does Farage have enough deposits or investments with Coutts to qualify for an account ?

If you are so confident that he meets their basic requirements on deposits state it clearly.

If you can't then its all BS from yourself.

Did they follow normal procedure, can his client relationship manager show the dates he was contacted to warn him of the status and closure of account, how come his letters were not answered, especially by a business which prides itself on a level of service and communication that verges on personal butler.

How come the normal allowance to existing customers was not followed in this case but the condition for new business.

In short why was the approach to his situation so different to the norm.

That's the reason it is such a damaging reputational crisis for Coutts, that's why Alison Rose was numbered from the start but tried to tough it out Anglo Irish Bank style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This has solely about farage keeping his name in the news.

It's the outrage about the outrage.

I get a feeling the tories will mess up their banking system as the farage idiot supporter is part of their core vote.

So farage will have a brexit and banking disaster to answer for.

And he won't care because his donations will be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭brickster69

More heads to roll today no doubt, who gave the info to Natwest anyway, someone must of ? Tip of the iceburg this lads, news coming out of it happening in America also now.

Big meeting today with the banks

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

A bank CEO leaks information about a clients bank account to a BBC journalist and yet everyone is still piling on Farage as if he was the source of wrongdoing in this story.

It demonstrates that some people simply don't care about the truth of the matter here, it's all about condeming Farage and nothing less besides.

"You lack credibility when talking about Nigel Farage" says the poster who has Nigel Farage as his actual Avatar

I never talked about Russian money , not once - Feel free to quote a post where I do.

What has I said that has been "proven false" ?

My very first post in this thread which was about 10 pages in , lists out the possible reasons for a bank closing an account - taken from the actual legal documents relating to the topic - That was just facts.

I talked about him not having enough money - He doesn't.

I talked about him being a reputational risk - His was.

I said that Farage was lying when he said it was a conspiracy among the banks to force him out of the UK because of Brexit - He WAS.

I also questioned why Farage waited 9 months until right before the deadline to go public with all this and why he hadn't engaged his lawyers at any point along that timeline and despite all his incessant chattering , it appears he still hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The 40 page dossier on Farage will have done damage to the bank because other clients will be wondering what information Coutts are building on them.

Again with the inability to comprehend that two things can be true at the same time.

Rose was wrong to share private customer information with a Journalist and has resigned because of it.

Farage has also lied and twisted the truth to position himself as a victim of some vast conspiracy - He isn't.

They closed his account for valid business reasons and broke no current laws in doing so.

Just to add,if Coutts could have shown an attempt to even follow normal procedure this story wouldn't have lasted a day.

They couldn't and they know they couldn't so the CEO tried to tough it out, forget the reputation of the business, regulations and professional conduct, go full Seanie Fitzpatrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well, he originally claimed that the banks were trying to run him out of town because he masterminded Brexit. Which was, and still is, complete and utter nonsense.

Rose was right to step down because she mishandled customer information. Her actions do not prove Farage right or justify his shouting inaccurate information from the rooftops.

And of course, he won’t be getting his account back because that decision was nothing to do with Roses actions.

Farage has proven just how much risk he is to a bank with this debacle.

Advertisement