Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fine by me.

Some Irish people can opt for citizenship of Britain already and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not only can but must, I think. From memory the GFA say not only that NI people have the right to identify as British, Irish or both, but also says that this right continues regardless of any change in the status of NI. So, even after a border poll and reunification, NI people will have the right to identify as British — a right that, if it means anything, includes the right to take up British citizenship.

The most likely scenario is the reverse of the current situation - after unification anyone born in NI will automatically be an Irish citizen, but can if they wish disclaim that citizenship in the usual way. And anyone born in NI (even if not a UK citizen by descent) will automatically be entitled to become a UK citizen by registration or another simple process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

We get endless posts on here about the terrible sectarian people in the north. Usually it’s reserved for unionists but some posters apply it across both communities in the north.

I am not going into history here, just current. I think all communities in the north have a greater awareness of the pain and hurt of the other and their need to be sensitive. Sure a minority of people use that awareness negatively to cause hurt eg on bonfires, at festivals, etc. but it is normally called out by the majority or at least the press.

I don’t see this in roi. I see a majority who are completely naive to the hurt of others and actually laugh about the mocking of it. We saw this on that chat show which Keilty challenged and we see it at everything from the ploughing matches to international changing rooms, to nightclubs.

this does not auger well for a Ui working. We need awareness raised in the south about the pain and hurt being lived daily. We need very clear challenging of this growing culture of ‘republican terrorism denial’

heres one from today which is one of the most disgusting I have seen. No doubt, good people doing bad things - because they don’t know and no one will tell them (ignorance).

I have a few friends whose lives have been devastated by Ira sectarian atrocities. When they see this mocking they will again be hurt to the pits of their stomach.

someone needs to step up and challenge this stuff. It is fanning the flames of hate towards your people. Not conducive to any shared future.

Now there is a flag deserves to burn on a bonfire! Smiling bigots

oh I sooo much hope your team lasts long enough for the lionesses to get a run at them. I despise them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

And anyone born in NI (even if not a UK citizen by descent) will automatically be entitled to become a UK citizen by registration or another simple process

In the event of a UI, I'd fully expect the UK to try and limit this by either time or other stipulations. Based on the UK's wayward commitments to other agreements it's signed over the last few years, I can't help but think that NI will be collectively forgotten about and dimissed as 'job done' as soon as the ink is dry....

I would not trust the UK like a lot of other countries wouldn't but even so I can't see them taking it away for at least a generation.

• Advertisement

Silly stuff and should not happen.

Vera is like Paul McGrath, her name is unfortunately a rhyme for the song. I doubt she supports or even knows much about the 'RA.

There we go ‘silly stuff’.

when will people of this island mature to call out this retraumatising of victims. I equally think the placing of a plaque in Belfast the other day to eulogise the Shankill butchers is disgusting and should result in prosecutions. I would not dare describe it as ‘ silly stuff’.

I have zero doubt that the ROI manager will be equally disgusted with this. If I recall, she was the only one that spoke out clearly against the same team singing IRA songs. I am not sure we have heard of any actions taken against any players by the FAI.

No one can talk about a shared respectful Ireland, unless they are going to come out and be very clear how wrong this behaviour is

Yes, it is at the silly end of the spectrum. A bit like England supporters referencing the war when they play Germany.

There are much worse examples of taunting/triumphalising and traumatising here sadly, as we have just seen.

So tell us what you want to happen to people who do things like this?

I am not going to get into the whataboutery. This is a thread about the cost of a united Ireland. And while I think addressing matters like this is a benefit, I know that a huge number in ROI will see it as a cost, i.e. the cost of acknowledging prejudice and sectarianism that is currently in denial.

What do I think should happen to the people who brought that flag? It should be fairly easy dealt with because it is an organised event that tickets are sold for. A standard practice out there in sporting organisations when this type of thing occurs would be a lifetime ban on attending games. I actually think that is harsh as these people are ignorant and just reflecting the views of the community. I would give them a few options that avoid a lifetime ban, and one would be a short education process which would involve meeting an organisation like SEFF and hearing about the damage that has been caused to lives by the organisation that they are finding funny.

SEFF have been good at providing this support to other organisations. I know they recently met with the GAA following some of its issues. I have spoken to one of the people who met the GAA and they said that it was an extremely positive engagement. I understand they requested a meeting with FAI following the changing room, debacle, but that visit has not been facilitated by FAI.

And what would be the penalty for worse forms of sectarianism, like burning effigies of people, proposing to kill all members of a religion etc? Actual threats against members of other communities in a UI?

Nobody has denied that sectarianism exists BTW, it's just the fact that one community indulges in overt forms of it for quite long periods with their advocates in society and politics calling it 'culture' and 'tradition' in order to defend it or play it down.

• Advertisement

You asked a question and I answered it. Do you think those sanctions would be fair and reasonable?

With regard to other forms of sectarianism. I certainly do not agree with you that burning an effigy is any worse than what is written on that flag, but I agree with addressing sectarianism where ever it arises.

I just posted earlier how I think those that are putting up memorials to terrorists should be prosecuted. If those putting up effigies on bonfires can be identified, they should also be prosecuted and if there are organised groups arranging the bonfires, then they should ban those people from participating in the future building.

As with the football issue, I would prefer if there was a step before prosecutions that involved education. I think we should be fully consistent on dealing with this type of behaviour.

Is part of you strategy for this utopia ireland to get the Psni to take over policing Dublin? I was worried that we’d have the guards in Newtownards but looks like it would make more sense for Psni to take over the whole island.

In the meantime point your tourists to Belfast, they will be safe in the failed statelet.

I think most can see the hypocrisy in action here.

It is of course not about an isolated incident of burning effigies but a veritable orgy of sectarianism and hate lasting several months of the year. Organisied and facilitated by more or less silence from political leaders not to mention those in the comnunity who defend and cherish this period. You have previously called it untouchable 'culture' and 'tradition'.

Personally, I would have no need to prosecute the young people who build these toxic pyres, I would endorse and plead with politicians and adults in their communities to do things like this,

which we have recently seen, has beneficial effects in persuading people that their behaviour is toxic. Persuasion being better than prosecution IMO. 'Féile' is another prime example that it can be done if the will is there.

Compare you last two posts francie with regard to isolated instances. If you are going to be totally hypocritical then have the sense to separate you posts a bit.

I’m not going down that whataboutery rabbit hole with you.

the point is simple. Those who want to make a united Ireland work would be achieving a lot more by addressing attitudes within their own community in preparation.

Your attempt to equate a flag that has been noticed by nobody (but those seeking offence)to month long taunting/threatening behaviour in interface and public areas in the actual divided society is rank hypocrisy.

Nobody ever claimed a UI is going to be a utopia. So your attempt to taunt on that is just cringe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Regarding your second paragraph. This has been discussed here before. After unification NI wont exist. There is nothing in the GFA that says that after unification that people born in what was the boundary of NI are entitled to citzenship.

The GFA means that UK cant annul any citzenship that had been given out prior to unification.

But is there just as much chance the UK could collapsing as there will be a UI. Then British citizenship wont exist anyway. Will the individual home nations offer each other citzenship after. Probably not.

I think you are worrying about stuff you don’t need to concern yourself with. Let us Brits worry about that. Roi or new Ui have zero input or power over that one

Didn’t realise you were flying your flag today. Summed up by a bit of OWC humour

Pity they won’t get massacred by the Lionesses

• Advertisement

Funny alright from somewhere that is not represented at this tournamnet. A wee bit of bitterness there?

Fair play to the Irish girls, gave it a lash and did themselves proud. Massive support for them at home and in Australia, great to see.

I am shocked francie. I thought you would have been claiming they were representing the north as well. Youve finally realised there’s a border.

The north has a ladies team. I was shouting for them because they are Irish. The team you support (England) 'massacred' them 5-0 in the qualifiers.

Irish girls represent anyone who is Irish downcow. Loads of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish in Aus at the game, including neices and nephews of my own. Great that they had a team there that they could support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You will have to go quiet when the rugby world cup starts in September. The irish set up is not sectarian enough for you. Suppose you will be still be up for England then too should Ireland meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Why the obsession with England beating Ireland and not any other country they may play?

firstly, it’s not an obsession. indeed England are one of the teams we love to beat.

i had no interest in this tournament and I had more or less forgot about the Irish team being the only women’s team in the world to be punished by fifa for sectarian behaviour. Then came that disgusting and offensive banner. I guess I thought if fans dress their manager in an IRA uniform, who would they least like beaten by? - I would think England. Hence my ‘obsession’

in addition the team I would like to win the overall tournament is England just because they are the team from the Uk taking part.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is strange about the British - well let me list a few.

1. They do not have a British soccer team. Nor a rugby team.. Nor a cricket team. Strange. Most nations have a least a soccer team.
    2. They do not have a British name on their postage stamp - in fact no name at all. The only country in the world not to do so.
    3. They do not have a British central bank. Only the Bank of England.
    4. Queen Elizabeth II was always Queen of England - never referred to as Queen of Scotland, and Wales only had a Prince. King Charles III was crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey. A separate, small, ceremony for Scotland.
    5. The established church is the Church of England, not the Church of Britain.
    6. The National Anthem is only traditional - England does not have a National Anthem of their own despite considering England as a country, although one that does not issue passports. NI also uses GSTK.
    7. There is no devolved administration for England, but Scotland, Wales and NI do. So during the Covid, the First Ministers of each devolved assembly gave the nightly Covid report, but the Prime Minister of the UK gave the one for little old England.

I am sure there are many more.

Yet one section of NI insist they are British, but yet the British are obviously not so keen so to do.

The hate is strong in that.

I don't think there is a reasonable person in the world that thinks those girls were supporters of the IRA and just sang a song because it has a catchy chorus that rhymes with Vera, just as it previously worked with Paul McGrath. They apologised for any misunderstanding immediately but still the unreasonable hating.

Being lectured by those who support and encourage months long fiestas of actual hate, as 'culture' and is funded in part by actual paramilitary organisations is hilarious frankly. I hope the girls get the tragic irony in it.

I’m not sure where you are dreaming up the hate.

I said I had to all intent and purpose forgot their Ira singing.m / surely that’s the opposite of hate.

I referenced what uefa decided (but they are probably infiltrated by the bonfire builders) https://news.sky.com/story/ireland-women-footballers-fined-836420000-for-singing-song-referencing-ira-in-world-cup-celebration-12764012?ssp=1&darkschemeovr=0&setlang=en-GB&safesearch=moderate

you think no one in the world other than the uefa board think they done wrong - hardly surprising.

then there fans dress their manager up in an ira uniform.

sure it’s only a bit o’ crack

• Advertisement

I didn't say they 'had done no wrong'.

I said I don't think there is a reasonable person in the world who thinks those girls support the IRA...'

One group of fans printing a flag..hardly equates to what we see paramilitary organisations do for a couple of months a year with the tacit support of those in the community who call it 'culture'.

If the girls were fined 20,000 for indecent conduct, what would the fines be running at for your community during the hate fest? Care to take a guess...I'd say several million myself.

Then, as usual, you try to walk away from the opinion you expressed earlier...you will support another team because you wish to see them 'massacred' because of the song they sang.

That's the classic expression of hating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement