Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• You are quite right. I was in a coffee shop near Dundrum when the news first broke, I heard a couple of women around me giving out stink about him, “knew he’s a shyster”, I asked what was up and about 6 or more of us womenfolk got into conversation about the breaking news, and not one voice spoke in favour of Tubridy. “Talentless”, “fake”, “vacuous” were descriptors used. One woman questioned who were his alleged fan base because she knew nobody that liked him as a presenter.

I worked in a public setting years ago and would be in conversation with public groups, one group of women said they found him “unsettling first thing in the morning”.

I have cousins, sisters, who like the #kindness shtick, but they are ladies who first always try and find the good in people, and don’t listen that much to him anyway. They think I have too mean a take on him! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'm confused.

With all th ill-treatment the Toyman is receiving here, why doesn't he land himself a similarly paid job in Britain or the USA? At least until it all dies down? Why is he publicly begging for the same gig back?

Wasn't the primary purpose of these enormous wages, that do not affect his soul, to forestall these big overseas moves he was ever on the cusp of?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One thing I found laughable is Tubridy’s pleas to come back as “this is all I know” and “I love my job”. If any of you have ever worked with a colleague who has been let go or in some cases fired (I’ve been in both situations) I’m sure they felt those emotions but unfortunately, it didn’t matter and wasn’t going to change the decision.

In the cases I’ve seen of the above none of the parties involved did anything approaching the level of seriousness as to Tubridy’s actions. It once again points to an enormous level of entitlement that he would say such things, and a smug feeling of superiority that rules and norms are different for him, and he should be accommodated no matter what his behaviour.

Extra: and none of these individuals who lost their job for one reason or another had a fraction of the nest egg Tubs has to rely on. Most indeed were living paycheck to paycheck, where losing your job suddenly and unexpectedly can be extremely tough.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

@RoTelly to confirm, Govt. of Ireland and An Post pay for all their advertising and all channels incl. VMTV (and "forden" channels) are bought for campaigns as part of the mix.

As per my comments yesterday on this I pretty much knew this to be true, but did have it confirmed overnight with 2 media buyers in 2 separate agencies. I was so thrown by the “obviousness” of the question at the time that I had to double check!

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Is it intriguingly delicious or deliciously intriguing?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Thanks for the confirmation. Could you find out who's behind the RnaG adverts, RTÉ have been running them with the Government of Ireland logo on them.

I have 2 issues about this: -

1. The national broadcaster should not directly be supported by the Government of Ireland in this manner because it may have editorial / political implications
    2. RTÉ should be promoting RnaG like any of their other Radio services, can you imagine if the Government of Ireland started taking ads out for 2FM.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Ah jaysis…..

I’ll see what I can do but genuinely up the walls this week….as evidenced by my lack of posting compared to usual standards.

Anymore requests now your Highness? 🤣🤣🤣

And another thing :)

Only if you think of it, if not no worries. Thanks for you help always good info on this stuff.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

seriously...?tubs being 'forgiven'...?and all the other things going on in rte and its seemingly back to business as usual...? ffs what a crock of shite...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Tubs has been earning 350k for about the last 10 years, thats 3.5M, plus the 345k over-payment. It's unlikely I'll earn anything like that in my entire lifetime. Shouldn't Tubs just retire and go write his memoirs? Obviously, he is both an egotist and a narcissist and feels the need for the attention of being on the air but this is not the kind of attention he craves. Presumeably he has a decent sized nest egg. If it was me, I'd be doing a Luke Skywalker and retiring to an Island off the coast of Ireland where I would meet no-one who hates me.

• Advertisement

The same women use online dating in American prisons

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not sure you understand what an overpayment is.

If Tubridy got paid more than his contract stated, then that would be an overpayment. Tubs got what was stated in his contract so it wasn't an overpayment. What it actually was is an underreporting of his salary by RTE (and sort of himself by keeping silent) and not an overpayment.

• This is very true, it’s kind of a motherly instinct, they see the Toyman as a little unloved boy they have to nourish and care for.

€350k???

you’re understating that in every year and by half in one year when he “earned” over €720k from RTÉ alone.

• I saw R’s bro this morning, it was a bit surreal being medically examined by him considering all the stuff here. I can’t say enough about how good a doctor he is, how very astute and pro-active he is and genuinely interested in seeing that the very best is done for you and ASAP. Great clinic he runs and I see his patients doing remarkably well. He would be worth every cent of his broadcasting brother’s takings and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The late great Bill Hicks picked up on this phenomenon, well the pre-online version:

I read another article, a woman is suing the state of Wisconsin. Here’s why: She married a fella. He’s on death row. Why is he on death row? He killed 8 women … he has AIDS, and she’s suing the state for rights of conjugal visits. And I’m afraid to say that the first thing that came to my head was: “And I’m not getting laid.

I couldnt remember how much the figure was so used a ballpark figure. I knew I'd get reamed if I used an incorrect and inflated figure so I erred on the side of cution.

I assumed there are additional payments as well. Did he get a cut of Toy Show the musical? I wouldn't be surprised if he got some sort of creative consultanting fees.

I understand what an overpayment is. Clearly I just didnt understand exactly what this issue was.

All the heat went out of this relative nothingburger of a story. Think it jumped the shark when SF’s brightest and best, Brian Brains Stanley, asked Kelly what he used to sell for Cadbury’s.

Absolute shambolic stuff.

The following will happen:

1) New funding model for RTÉ to replace the licence fee.

2) Tubs to be back on radio and telly if he decides he wants to continue

3) This thread to dwindle to about 5 truly obsessed and paranoid regulars - it’s the long tail of any message board thread.

From a PR perspective this was handled well. Bad news story, no hiding it, throw lots of petrol on the bonfire, get openly stupid politicians involved, let the outrage quickly burn away.

Some of those politicians though. One of them was barely able to read.

• Advertisement

€5.4 million 😀 10 years to 2021

1. 515,000
    2. 523,000
    3. 545,000
    4. 545,000
    5. 512,000
    6. 495,000
    7. 495,000
    8. 495,000
    9. 495,000
    10. 753,000

______

Yesterday

Still claiming it’s a nothing burger in week 5. Intriguing.

The Cadbury’s question was a leading question with a follow up, as well you know. For a person who claims to have a PhD you seem remarkably unfamiliar with this as an interrogative technique.

And the personal abuse once again of posters who have a differing opinion than yours.

Fair question at this point, but do you work for nothing burger RTÉ? Only fair I think.

and either way Do you think it is a good service?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's a lot more financial stink to come out of RTE. The Tubridy/RTE/Renault money will be chickenfeed compared to it. Stuff that has nothing to do with Tubs but he'll still be mentioned.

I agree with you about the politicians. It shouldn't be politicians questioning RTE/Tubs/NK. It should be Senior Counsel.

The best part of the PR from RTÉ was that text message to Adrian Mole from Breda O'Keeffe.

______

Yesterday

Someone quoted €8m in one article I read. I assume that was for 15 years.

______

Yesterday

I don’t work for RTE, or have any involvement/relationship with any of the parties involved in this. I think RTE needs to be reformed btw. I just think a lot of the enormously indignant performative outrage around this story was born out of silly season theatrics and Twitter “all day outrage” merchants.

• Advertisement

Grand suppose we should just let them continue with that great PR they are so good at.

Hopefully this nothing burger will result in reform, or should we just carry on?

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement