Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

There was undoubtedly some head banger(s) in there who wanted rid of him any way possible. Blinded by hatred - like a few posters on this thread.

They had the commercial angle, but to try and pile it on, they went with the personal/political angle too, which was a huge error. Had they just left it at commercial reasons, this is dead on day 1.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not really - Common sense would tell you that Banks maintain a file on all their customers and they know a lot about you.

Especially Investment Banks , they are investing in their clients and their businesses - For most people the file will be all about those businesses and the possible risks to their revenues.

As I said earlier in thread , if the customer was a property developer , their file would be all about the property markets in the places they owned properties and the risks therein as that would be the lions share of their risk profile.

In the case of Farage , his entire "business" is being a public mouth-piece for right-wing political opinions so naturally his risk profile talks about all the things he has said in public and the risks they might bring either to his ability to earn money or the risk he might bring to the banks ability to generate revenue.

That a Political operatives risk analysis document contains lots of information about his public political positions is hardly surprising is it?

I mean what else could they have said about Farage??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Shoog

You are mischaracturizing people position for your own cause. Farage was dropped for business reasons by a private bank. He didn't qualify for his account so had it withdrawn, they also didn't like the image he presented as a customer which cemented the deal.

The mismanagment of the PR surrounding all this is just a side show and not the main act.

If Farage didn't have enough money in his account and this was the clear basis upon which they could "exit" him, why didn't they just stop there?

After all, that's the only basis they needed. A very clear cut one, too.

But they didnt stop there.

They then spend 40 pages talking about his political views.

That's because they used his political views against him as a reason to exit him.

So even if you were right about the money side of things, it still wouldn't justify the actions taken by Coutts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Those "deeply inappropriate comments" ..... "did not reflect the view of the bank" according to the former CEO. So why would they put anything in there that "did not reflect the view of the bank"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭brickster69

Exactly all they had to do was tell Farage once his mortgage gets paid off we will shut your account unless you add funds to x amount, that was it.

But no, they schemed on shutting him down months in advance. It's obvious from the dossier they never wanted him as a customer because of his views and connections to other people like Trump and Djokevic etc. Why was the dossier all about what he had wrote on Twitter or his views on climate change or something.

Paying his mortgage off was just the excuse they needed to get shot of him. even Keir Starmer is coming out backing Farage now, that say's it all.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

.. because they also consider reputation.

Its very telling that throughout this the BBC still put lack of funds out front in their reporting of the incident - go check if you don't believe me. You would think at this stage that if that was a lie then their legal team would have stamped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apparently the bank had noted that he re retweeted a Ricky Gervais tweet with some joke that had a trans element . Its Babylon Bee stuff, the latest corporate grift is DEI/ESG , its hilarious to watch

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭brickster69

What about that vicar bloke ? He gets an e mail through asking for feedback on ways the bank could improve. He responded by saying 2 well i think you should take all of those pride flags down, because it might put some people off. It was constructive feedback.

Then what happened, they shut him down as well. then you get people sticking up for the banks in all this, they should be horrified.

There could be thousands of people who have had their live turned upside down for all we know.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In this case I think it's more about the language used rather than the underlying sentiments expressed to be honest.

I have no doubt that the bank would have preferred that whoever actually wrote the document had used more "parliamentary" language when describing the concerns/risks as they related to Farage.

However I don't think that changes the fundamental concerns they had about the risks he represented.

Banks really don't give a damn about who or what you are, they will do business with absolutely anyone and there's ample proof of that everywhere.

The ONLY thing they care about is their profits and any potential risks to those profits.

As I have been saying for quite some time I have no doubt that Coutts have customers that are far more objectionable than anyone might imagine Farage to be but either they have a much lower public profile than Farage so the risk is mitigated or they generate enough revenue for the bank such that the risk is worth taking.

It appears that neither of those potential mitigations applied to Farage so they closed his account.

They should have been more careful with the language used in the internal review document and Rose should not have shared the info with the BBC , but that doesn't make the decision to close his account wrong or illegal.

• Advertisement

Those defending Farage because of moral outrage seem incapable of actually acknowledging the basic facts of what has happened. If they could just do that then they might be taken a little bit more seriously rather than it all been treated as just another hobby horse to ride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Or he's another bigot who's lying by omission.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Indeed, which is brave for Starmer to say given the sheer level of toxic hostility toward Farage within the Labour Party.

Keir Starmer says NatWest “got this one wrong”. He says Alison Rose got this wrong.

People should not have their personal details revealed, he says. He says that is a general rule.

He says he does not think people should be refused banking services because of their political views.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because he asked for the details they had about him and they provided it, as they are required to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rapidash, Do you accept that Farage initial portrayal of the situation was inaccurate?

I'd frame it the opposite, even if you hate Farage to the core, you should be calling out the banks and the BBC, and always be on the side of defending a free an open society

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, I shouldn't. Farage lied as has been pointed out countless times.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Its hardly applicable to an organization whos very existence is predicated on been able to pick and choose its customers. I don't even defend the existence of Coutts but you seem to think that its important that an exclusive bank exists for the likes of Farage but then refuse to acknowledge the logical consequence of exclusivity.

I literally have no flesh in this game and the outcome of it will have zero impact on me. I have zero grounds for outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

It’s part of the whole far-right wheel house these last years, of which Farage is a typical mascot. Something new has to be Woke!! every few weeks for this whole grift to work. Otherwise GB News would run out of content within a single afternoon.

So now the banks, that profit-driven bastion of Thatcherism in the UK, are now “woke” and “thousands might lose their accounts!”…but it’s just another fictional battlefield for Farage’s sycophants to thump their chests at, while the man himself tries to deflect from his own diminishing funds and standing with people whose respect he actually wants.

It must be a tiring existence to be so constantly angry that the rest of the world are not subscribing to their particular fan club. To be so annoyed that we all don’t come out in fawning support for what amounts to a 21st Century iteration of a BNP front-man.

If it was as clear cut and simple as that , then the bank would be in trouble as "religious beliefs" are one of the protected categories (Political views are not).

Having had a bit of a read about this one though - It's appears to be not quite as simple as you describe.

He didn't just "suggest they take down the pride flags as it might put some people off" , he wrote a multi-page letter detailing his deep objections to Trans ideology and its promotion to Children (Not sure how a flag outside a bank does that) and he accused the bank of "actively promoting this" by flying the pride flags.

He claims he was "polite" in how he made his "suggestions" but the bank says he was rude,abusive and offensive which was why they stopped doing business with him.

He hasn't released a copy of his letter to support his claims of being "polite" however.

• Advertisement

Where is the actual evidence that Farage is profiting (i.e. grifting / scamming) off the back of this scandal?

Not empty, predictable references to the "far-right", but actual evidence that Farage is scamming to earn money off the back of this scandal.

Or is it simply yet another example of evidence-free slogans thrown around this thread for the sake of it.

I will say this much, I have ample grounds to hate Farage since his actions have adversly impacted my life in many and diverse ways. So I hope he **** off and dies from an outrage embolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've read the Coutts dossier and while there's conflicting information in it, it's clear from it that the bank had taken the decision to 'exit' Nigel Farage well before his mortgage expired. The document even said they wouldn't renew it.

Below is an excerpt from the document. Clearly the second paragraph shows that it was a decision based on reputation, i.e. his beliefs, rather than Farage meeting the required financial criteria.

A lot of people in the thread are blinded by their hatred for Farage (the hatred is understandable), but if you look at it objectively, it does look like they 'exited' him for reasons other than financial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The evidence obtained from the bank through a data request contradicted a BBC News story, which initially claimed that the account closure was motivated by commercial reasons only, citing Mr Farage's failure to meet a £1m borrowing requirement.

The BBC and its business editor Simon Jack apologised, saying the reporting had been based on information from a "trusted and senior source" but "turned out to be incomplete and inaccurate".

So not only did Alison Rose talk to a BBC journalist about the private financial affairs of a customer, but she also lied about the details she passed on?

FFS!

People are right to be concerned about policing values and politics when it comes to accessing services. Its all well and good to **** of Farage because he is Farage, but there is a deeper more concerning issue at play here.

What that actually points to is that they were conducting a financial review triggered by his end of Morgage and that this was carried out well in advance of that happening. The Financial review would have considered all information on his account - including his risk dossier. The Mortgage end was the trigger.

He is a political commentator , PAID to make political comments.

Do you think he'll get more or less work now as a result of jamming himself onto the front pages across the UK based on a fabricated claim of a vast conspiracy by all the banks to oust him from the UK because of his role in Brexit?

Are you really THAT naive about what motivates people like Farage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Profiteering? Grifting?

It’s *fodder* my dear Eskimo. Fodder for his “Hour of Hate” from the MiniTru. Getting angry at the Woky Leftist Banks must be worth one Talking Pint….or 20. (Can’t imagine those are actual draft pints…must be from cans in a mini-fridge…a couple of 6-packs at least then!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think he'll need to "scam" off this, but he will be grifting as much as he can, "donations" to help the effort, raising his profile for cameo, he becomes an onlyfans for right wing loons.

The fact that he might destroy british boutique banks and see their capital leave the UK in the process won't bother him.

He's trying to cluck about "woke banks" and manufacture outrage about it, the banks won't need that hassle and will go elsewhere. But what Coutts have done is entirely above board and part of their ethos - exclude those who aren't rich enough to keep an account, keep detailed records on the customers they have to the customers benefit for their banking services, i.e. they have to know who you are, politics included, to optimise what you do with your money. They will literally have people with left/right wing politics, for example, being advised what to do when a more left/right wing government runs the country and how they may benefit or lose from it, that is their job.

farage decided to make it all public, confirming to everyone that he is a racist and xenophobe but the bank would use that information to make him money.

Please say that you understand that, I don't think it can be simplified further.

But that's not what grifting is.

Grifting is the act of scamming or swindling people out of money.

Making money through legitimate channels, such as through his TV show, is not grifting.

• Advertisement

and a bank CEO broke the GDPR law and a basic tenet of banking by talking to the BBC, much more important than whatever Farage said or didnt say, again the frame should trying to keep banks and media honest instead of trying to defend them just because people dont like Farage

Advertisement