Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times a year do you go abroad be it for holidays or business?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jonathan2712

Generally at least two flight a week, sometimes as many as eight. 95% work related. I fly to London and back weekly, and probably do 6 - 7 US trips per year also.

Just to add an extra dimension to your argument. This is a very small island. If people couldn't come and go for business, what do you think would happen to the economy? And its the stable and developed economy that allows us all the luxury of being in a position to think about the environment, and not just where our next meal is coming from.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I spent half my 20s in college and the other half working abroad or signing on/working crappy contracts here at home for a few months here and there. Recession eased off a bit and I got a bit of stability in my early 30s. I started travelling a lot then. I took 10 trips last year and I have been on 8 trips this year. I had a lot of leave built up during covid to use. Also have time in lieu I can use. I also try to go during bank holiday weekends to save a day's annual leave. I probably would have taken 5/6 trips a year before covid. I find holidaying in Ireland poor value for money.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's not really difficult, especially if you don't work a Mon to Fri job. Have 4 days off Mon to Thurs, you can get great deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

You obviously don't have kids then, it is a lot more expensive with a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Used to travel 60 times a year all over the world before COVID. This is one positive of Covid, I can now do a lot over the net with meetings. Certain things still need to be attended due to business and cannot be avoided.

Now its down to around 15 trip a year, 12 for business and 3-4 for Vacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

a go on a broad be alrighte 😁

going abroad tho - fcuk that !

Jarvis Cocker : "cos everyone hates a touriste" ; them wordes always stucke with me , whether they were used euphemistically or no in ye songe is of zero relevance.. no one abroad thinks yer great; all's they want is yer @coine

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Aviation is in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)

Applying excise duty to aviation fuel can only happen at the EU level.

The first country to apply a tax won't sell a litre more fuel, as airlines will buy elsewhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

10-15 years ago I did a two week trip on business

1. Dublin to Heathrow
    2. Heathrow to New York, where I got to the top of the Empire State Building
    3. New York to LA, where I spent a day at Universal Studios
    4. LA to Melbourne where I had Sunday at the MCG watching a one day cricket international between Australia and England, then on the Tuesday it was the Aussie Open where I saw Leyton Hewitt win at 2 o'clock on Wednesday morning
    5. Melbourne to Singapore
    6. Singapore to Frankfurt
    7. Frankfurt to Heathrow
    8. Heathrow to Dublin

Because it was a round the world trip on BA it cost about £7k to go Business Class all the way (paid by the company of course). It was only Frankfurt and the Heathrow/Dublin flights that were connections. Had business to deal with in all the other locations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Going to Montenegro in September, last flight was London in October 2021 , before that Majorca in 2017

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't been outside this country in.... 8 years? Yeah, sounds about right. In my younger days, I've visited Belgium (twice), the UK a few times and Florida and the Netherlands once. I was mad for wanting to travel more when I was younger, but nowadays I'm not too pushed. If I won the lotto, I'd do a themepark world tour. But outside of winning the lotto, there isn't really anywhere I can afford to go.

I think too much about things, so there's very few countries I want to visit. I'm not into sport, architecture, religion, history, geography, and I detest the idea of spending a hape of money to sit on some foreign beach. Japan is somewhere I'd love to visit, but I don't think I'd cope with the crowds and it's still quite expensive. Plus you'd need weeks there. So also on the lotto list.

And when I say afford, I mean nothing really makes me want to spend money on it. I love those Expectation vs Reality photos, makes me want to go to these places less. And now they're all covered with social media wannabes, ugh.

Global aviation pollution is 3.5% of overall, so not a massive area to tackle, albeit it should be tackled. I just don't understand how they make money on cheap flights. The below article breaks down the actual costs of flights taking everything into consideration, and basically ended stating shorthaul EU flight for 2.5 hours costs $12k, but tickets are cheap as chips... Someone somewhere is paying!

I spent about 4 years in total in various Asian countries during my 20's. When we had kids we didn't travel as much as it is not as much fun when travelling with very young kids. At the stage now where we are starting again. It's great to be able to do, but need to find the balance and be able to save for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some people here, a good few even, have massive carbon travel related footprints. But would likely turn around and criticise the likes of us for burning a few bags of coal in the winter whilst they sit in tee shirts in their heating systems driven by industrial wind farms that we have to look out on. But there you go, that's the way of it for the urbanites now :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Japan is great. Walking around Tokyo it didn't feel like you were in one of the most populated cities on the planet. I feel more claustrophobic walking around Dublin. Public transport is excellent and the people were the politest people I've ever met. Go if you get the chance.

How do you know the people here who are travelling the most are from urban areas? They could be from rural areas, commuting 80k each way to Dublin in an SUV, with a few large dogs at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I know I just need to avoid the really busy areas at the really busy times. Now I just need an extra 4 weeks annual leave and a few grand, and off I'll go! Some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I travel quite a bit, probably every second week with work and go abroad once a year for holidays. Mostly Europe, but also a couple of long haul. This year I have been to the US, UAE, Malaysia, Australia and NZ. Next year I my long hauls will be to Brazil and Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Air travel is bad, but there's no faster, more convenient way to travel and a lot of focus is given to reducing environmental impact.

Coal is an inefficient, smelly, and expensive way to heat a single room in your house. It'll be taxed and regulated out of existence in the next 10 years, jus like turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have a fairly big carbon travel footprint, mainly due to long haul flights. I also burn fuel in my stove and have gas central heating in a BER F rated house.

On the flip side, I've an early 2000's car that I rarely drive / have no intention of upgrading and cycle everywhere. No kids either.

Some people will have a big carbon footprint from one thing, others from other things. The trick is to stop criticising people and mind your own business.

• Advertisement

And that's the reason I don't go anywhere in July and August, too many kids!

I'd say the trick is for you to take personal responsibility for your own large carbon footprint. I've no interest in it - for you to sort out and others their own likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I started tracking my flights in 2014. Totalled 189 flights in that time (have 4 more flights booked up to the middle of August), 678,000km and 960 hours in the air.

Average of 18 flights a year.

Highest was 46 in 2019.

Took 7 in 2020, all before March.

It's practically all work travel and average 1 holiday a year.

No, not at all.

There are better ways to heat a house that have been available for 20 years. Coal is on the way out. The carbon tax increased by €10 a ton this year.

There's no better way to travel abroad. When one becomes available you can bet that jet fuel will be phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What job requires that much fling ? Unless your the captain or cabin crew ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Neither of those, but would assume captain or cabin crew would be doing way more than 180 flights in a year let alone 10.

I know a good few field service engineers who cover multiple countries.

The guys I usually see are based in Birmingham and service UK and Ireland, but could also cover France, Benelux, Germany, and Spain if their guys are on holiday or busy. They could easily do a dozen short hops a month depending on the calls.

Advertisement