Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That there’s potentially more serious stories about waste and financial mismanagement to come should not diminish or downplay the attempted alight of hand by Tubs and NK. And Tubs in his role as the most honest man in Ireland 🙄 has betrayed the public, his colleagues taking cuts, and himself with his pious holier than thou sanctimonious “we’re all in this together” Captain Kindness Toyman fake persona crap.

I think many are more appalled at the lying (by omission), the hypocrisy, the initial 2 fingered “nothing to do with me” response, the OTT acting at the Oireacthas committee laying it on thick with the “I love your county very much”, “yes my salary’s enormous but it doesn’t affect my soul”, “I really respect the work of this committee” and “will we break for tea, that would be nice” etc etc tbh than the pocketing of extra cash.

He’s been exposed as being a fraud. I can’t see a way back from that.

I think it wasn’t handled badly. There’s no good way to handle bad news or a breaking scandal, but attempting to cover it up doesn’t work. The smart play in the era of continuous outage is to feed the outrage meter. It burns bright, the politicians get involved, the papers have a story, then Paddy and Petula get bored of the story and away it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What makes you think that? I'd say a lot of people are just watching quietly and waiting for developments. Our licence is due soon and like hell will I pay it on time, unless I see real commitment to change and that includes inviting Mr.Tubridy to go look for work elsewhere. Doubtless I'll pay at some stage but I'll hold off for months and for as long as possible. This is how the people will quietly deal with this matter. RTE will be financially starved and brought to the table kicking and screaming for funding.

Nope. Not true. Some of us have been calling this stuff out for years - which again, as a regular on radio you simply have to have aware of, and to claim otherwise isn’t credible.

There is nothing new or seasonal in this. I’m just surprised it’s taken this long to surface.

No. That’s absolutely incorrect.

The first priority in crisis management is to get your company/brand etc. OFF the front pages. They’ve failed spectacularly on that front.

• Advertisement

It wasn’t my question.

He asked it to ask afterwards what qualifies a chocolate salesperson to become an agent? .

it’s really not that difficult to understand.

it as a question was no more ridiculous than some of the answers delivered by RT or NK.

And we’re in week 5 of this, the fire hasn’t been diminished yet. Hardly a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He's a smug fcuker for sure but he's been attributed far more blame than he should have been. RTE are by far and away the most culpable in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Agreed. I'd actually love to have the headcount for the entourage currently in Australia. I bet its bigger than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So a month prior to this scandal RTÉ were on the PR offensive as the leaks of the decision for the role of DG came to light, then this resulting in the former DG resigning her position, fortunately her term was just ending.

You might think that the Politicians did badly but did you see Adrian Mole? Did you see his performance as DG? He was, and still is, acting like he knew nothing, which would not surprise me because either his performance of Mr. Nice But Dim is effective or he really is that dim.

Then Breda O'Keefe shuts them all down... only she makes the worst mistake of revealing she left on a exit package, who else took up those packages and who agree to them, it was musical chairs on the Executive board of RTÉ when Dee was DG.

Then BO'K text messages Adrian Mole during a sitting of the committee that she refused to attend, and he attempted to read it out.

Meanwhile he's got a promotion to Deputy DG in the time of the worst crisis in RTÉ. And more and more is coming out about what was spent through the Barter account, while RTÉ are complaining they have no money.

Weather we agree on Executive pay or not, here we have a group of executives getting Moving fees (€50k for Dee), a car allowance of €25k each, expenses and other leaving on redundancy packages.

Perhaps it is a nothing burger to you, perhaps this is excellent PR, much like RTÉ's decision that their market and comms team would no longer take questions and that those questions should be directed to Q4PR, the people they hired to PR the hell out of .... THE TOY SHOW THE MUSICAL.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Did anyone go to see Toy Show the Musical? Was it like the Toy Show under Tubs and not contain any actual toys?

RTÉ had 22 reporters at the Rio Olympics. That’s reporters, not including any other production staff etc.

Most of these were non-sports reporters too, which led to some comical reporting on some events, where clearly the reporter hadn’t a clue about the intricacies of the sport. That was a very nice 3-4 week jolly in Brazil with everything paid for. And you can bet your ass it wasn’t a 3 star hotel they were staying in.

I can’t recall the numbers for Tokyo - you’d assume Covid reduced the numbers, but a highlight was one night on the news I saw Damien O’Reilly covering the Olympics. That’s Damien O’Reilly of agricultural reporting and nationwide btw. Needless to say it was embarrassing.

• €150K or more would enlarge my soul and my wallet in equal measure

• Needless to say I didn’t go to it but it’s format was this:

No Toyman

No Toys

Yes Tears

The theme was chiselers of a dead mother went to the LL Toy Show with their very sad dad who was grieving for his newly dead wife and the Toy Show cheered them all up no end.

The neighbours took their kids on a freebie. They hated it. Said everything was overpriced from “the merch” to the food and drink. Imagine how they’d feel if they paid for the tickets?

They also said there was a Renault car in the foyer of the convention center as you entered, and a “proud sponsors of TSTM” messaging. So Renault were involved there too.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this previously but when the Renault roadshow thing broke a little birdie told me that almost all the guests at the fatuous roadshows were NKM stablemates. I assume they received fees too but not sure this has been fully teased out.

This is something that I brought up with former head of sport on twitter, Ryle "The Grip" Nugent, he argued that they were need. Now that I realize they had most likely sent people on a freebie to the Olympics that year, I can only image that RTÉ coverage of those Olympics could have been much stronger.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

The outrage over this is gone......unless something else comes out......and there hasn't been anything for a while now......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Nobody else wants him. His agent NKM said nobody else has ever come in for me.

So, why should the Irish public be stuck with a talentless yoke who is a one trick pony with very limited shtick?

Of course they were! You couldn’t have them working more than 4 hours per day! 🤣

It’s one thing bringing/needing staff; but at least bring staff who have a clue about the sport they’re commentating or reporting on. Some of them were utterly clueless. I’d say for many it was their first time attending a sporting event of any description, let alone the sport they were assigned to report on.

Years ago RTÉ had Peter Collins do post match interviews with some of the Irish rugby team. He got almost all of their names wrong, and each player corrected him with “it’s Victor actually” (Victor Costello etc.). He then asked soccer-type tactics questions to rugby players and got somewhat bemused looks and to be fair polite answers to stupid questions. I think Victor did an eye roll exiting after his interview but I may be mistaken on that, it was a long time ago. When they came back to studio there was some sort of apology for getting all the names wrong. Well the Olympics reporting was pretty much like that.

• Advertisement

Vincent it has been explained to you time and time again why Brian Stanley asked NK what he used to sell in Cadburys. So either you do selective reading and only read what suits your point of view, or you are stupid.

I don't think you are stupid so it must be selective reading.

How many people on here think it's a dumbass question?

I think you will find that you are in a tiny minority Vincent.

I don't think Paddy and Petula will get bored of this story.

How long has this Nothing Burger been talked about and mentioned on Boards?

There is a lot more serious shiit that has gone on at RTE but that does not mean we should give RT and NKM get out of jail free cards. RT and NKM need to be punished for what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ryan is just the tip of the iceberg. He was the weak link in the chain and once he was exposed, the whole house of cards started to fall. The broker account(s) were used, as one of the TDs eloquently said, as a slush fund. It was like having a black-ops budget, off the books, subject to the square root of FA control, and used for dubious trips, jollies and "gifts". Look at the costs of Japan and Spain for starters, monumental and entirely a piss-take IMO.

Quite how some people are being allowed to go early, no doubt on whatever generous retirement package was available (another area that someone with authority and a pair - metaphorically speaking; women applicants are welcome to apply - should be digging into)

There is so much shite floating around that this smell will linger until someone does something meaningful about it.

So you are going to ignore the fallout from this?

______

Yesterday

His fingers are in his ears 😚 as he says fallout what fallout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm not sure what the fact of NK being a former chocolate salesman has to do with anything. I think Brian Stanley thought he was being clever in using that approach. He wasn't IMO. Fact is that it looks like NK was good with working with people, and was at some stage found himself in the right place at the right time and managed to build a client base on that. I worked in Sales for a couple of years a good while ago and the people I met in it were narcissistic liars, so maybe that suits the entertainment industry.

For all we know he could have been managing some of their lead accounts and been highly successful at it. Noel Kelly didn't run RTE, he was allowed to lead it around by the nose for a couple of decades, and the fault of that lies with people with 'better qualifications' than himself.

I've no idea what Brian Stanley's qualifications or life experiences are for his job as TD, oddly enough his previous occupations are not listed anywhere on his wiki or his SF page. He got where he is on merit and hard work, with some intrigue I would think, the same as NK did in his line of work.

To put it into context the last 30 years our Taoisigh have been;

Bingo and Dance hall operator

Professional TD/politician since he was 22

Bookkeeper (not a qualified accountant)

Solicitor

Primary school teacher for 2 years

GP

Secondary school teacher

MLMD will probably be the next one and she worked as a researcher and for a HR company.

If NK isn't 'qualified' to be where he is, then neither are the people on that list above.

INT - BAKHURST GARDEN SHED - EVENING

Double rap knock on the wooden door. Kevin speaks out to the caller.

Password?

(Muffled by the wooden door)

Bibi Baskin is a Lezbo.

One may enter.

Ryan enters the shed quick as you like. Ryan is dress like the milk tray man. Head to toe in black. Ryan’s face is also painted akin to a military night time incursion.

My word Ryan. Did anyone see you?

Not a sinner.

Its only half seven Ryan. It won’t be dark for hours.

I know I know. I was planning ahead regarding my return.

I see.

Victory loves preparation Kevin.

She does indeed.

Cad e an scale me auld flower? Whats de story bosco? Is Autumn in the Toyman’s future?

Autumn is the Toyman’s for the taking.

Fooking Aces Kevin-an-nator. Del-fooking-licious.

Ryan thats why I was installed after Dee. This was my mission or purpose from the board. There was going to be no other outcome.

Wow I see. Bananas.

Its not all about you Ryan. The institution of RTE supersedes you and unfortunately you are RTE’s face. We’ve had a sweet arrangement here for decades as you very well know.

How are we going to re-introduce the Toyman (sings the name)? RTE Guide cover perhaps with the childer?

With great care and precision I dare say. You’ll be directed to a T Ryan. I’d also suggest initiating the arrangements of returning the popcorn budget.

Popcorn? Oh yes yes yes the 150 grand. No worries at all at all. Top man.

Indeed. Jeffery Archer has been giving me some great tips by the way.

You limey basterds. I love ye. This reminds me of Die Hard 2 Kev.

Die Hard 2?

Yeah when its revealed Colonel Stuart and Major Grant are on the same side the whole time. Grant was like controlled opposition. Yippy - ki- yay motherfookers!

The both laugh. Kevin stands up. He’s been sitting on a disused toilet the entire time.

Its official now, but the womens team were not expected to get out of group stage anyway. So really no need to send a full entourage out there. Also, I was thinking about this earlier, Ive worked in companies where the policy regarding expenses was "treat it like its your own money". A concept clearly lost on strapped-for-cash RTE. Considering the huge Irish population in Australia, surely the prudent thing to do would be to hire Irish people already out there. Would be a lot cheaper then flying sound engineers and producers from here.

• Advertisement

You had to pay for merchandise? No, there's one for everyone in the audience? Sounds like it deserved to fail then. A show aimed at kids sponsored by Renault. Yep, that makes total sense!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement