Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very steady heavy rain in Tralee, the back of the building where I am is ponding water .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Absolutely milling down in West Limerick now. Torrential stuff. Weekend looks every bit as bleak. Fcuk this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This is actually depressing! The rain is relentless in Ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It might be fine for the All -Ireland. Showers should ease off Sunday afternoon before the next system approaches from the south west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

One of my biggest pet hates in an Irish "summer" is not being able to wear summer clothes. Maybe you have to be versatile and have an open mind to live in an Irish climate, but unfortunately I'm not and I haven't. Wearing spring /autumn clothes, raincoats and umbrellas just knocks all the fun out of a summer outdoors activity for me personally. Which is why I escape so much in summer and plan not to live here once retired. Not full time in Kerry anyway. I'm a huge fan of proper seasons and being able to live and dress according to the season. Unfortunately that's generally impossible in Kerry where you could get get the four seasons in one day in any season.

Miserable day in Tralee today. 😔

Thanks. Great stats as always. Can I ask where you pull all this information from? Your handle on these things is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

likewise in many counties, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and indeed most of Cork gets tons of rain. I live in Kerry but have also lived in Donegal. I'm hoping in years to come we will be thankful for the cooler rainer climate. My fix is a few trips abroad, weekends abroad and full weeks if and when I can afford them, in the months of May and September. It will have to do. Nothing is going to perfect weather wise from now on.

I was out walking on Sunday in heavy warm drizzle in Glencar Co Kerry, getting soaked, but had just listened to what was happening in Greece and Italy. And I was thankful for that rain on my face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an absolute miserable day here in Meath, i've lost count at this stage we have had so many of them in this absolute dumpster fire of a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jesus it’s muck altogether in Cork today. I don’t mind rain when it comes in the form of showers but this is shocking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

😉 have an entire cloud of stats built over the years including some very large excel files, just a sample below.. constantly working on ways to improve presentation and big projects the Met does not do. I do this all without coding or SQL querying too though that would be more time efficient if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Uk met office

What impacts might be expected if the threshold were crossed?

An AMOC shutdown would cause cooling of the northern hemisphere , sea level rise in the Atlantic, an overall decrease in precipitation over Europe and North America, and a southwards shift in monsoons in South America and Africa. These impacts are robust and seen in many models, but their magnitude remains uncertain. Atmospheric circulation over Europe may also change, possibly causing more winter storms in Northern Europe and increasing summer rain around the Mediterranean. Impacts outside of the Atlantic region are less certain, but could affect Asian monsoons and El Nino.

Surface air temperature anomaly over Ireland is -5 to -8c if my eye sight is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Cheers. I'm on holidays at the moment in Spain don't know what day it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Wonder what high confidence is? Also i'm struggling to wrap my head around how Europe is going to get warmer and cooler at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

"next system approaches"...three words to send a shiver down the spine of any Irish person during the summer

95%. If it completely collapsed it would get cooler but there’s not much confidence in that happening this century apart from that one report by danish scientists released yesterday. It’s expected to weaken and any cooling associated by that is expected to be exceeded by G.W thus still getting warmer. Any cooling is highly unlikely unless it completely collapses and the likelihood of it collapsing this century is remote. That’s my understanding of the overall picture.

Layout of the site has changed. First impressions it’s even worse that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

What a waste having all this daylight until 10 to 11 oclock at night when its like this most of the time...I dont know whats worse raining all the time and dark at 4 oclock in the day or raining all the time and bright untill 11 oclock at night...id say we are the only country in the world where you would still have to light a fire in the middle of summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Got soaked working out in the lashing rain today. It's dark, cold, feels like November. I'm making thick soup for dinner. I am very close to putting on the heat. Don't think I've ever done that in summer before.

Is it looking optimistic for Friday in Dublin, or are the weather apps lying to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Off topic and I'm sorry but seinead o conor has died at the age of 56

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Miserable afternoon in DCC today. Torrential rain around 4pm and steady before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

OK so I'm not disappointing the kids for 3rd weekend in a row and want to finally get to Emerald Park this weekend.

The weather forecast is driving me crazy though, keeps changing from Sat to Sun as which would be best/driest day.

Help me out here which day do you think looks the best 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

According to YR- Sunday warmer than Saturday- rainfall minimal on both days- some rain possible Sunday morning but with brightness also - afternoon much better -Sunday - final answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

That looks promising for the AI final. Not going myself but several friends are. Much better for players, supporters, everybody, when it's a half way decent day. You would nearly always get a dry AI final day in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Think I'll go with Sunday so, hopefully everyone else will be at Bray airshow or Dublin match so we will have Tayto Park to ourselves😉 although it will be pointless if it lashes rain yet again.

Just had a look there for Mon & Tues next week jaysus more rain looks horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's so mild this evening 16c that tropical air is definitely here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunday will be the best day of weekend away from flooded Northwest. Black warning on news weather for here this Saturday. Yr No had 53mm of rain for Malin Head Saturday night alone. Could be even wetter than last weekend up here with totals for the month well into the 200mm mark. At 167.9mm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

One of the worst things about this wretched July so far is how dark and gloomy so many of the evenings are, feels like the back end of October!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

I'm still trying to figure out whether you're been sarcastic or not!!

Advertisement