Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Alba Redondo scored 2 goals for Spain today. Great name and based on her name I'd say she must be an incredible player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Heather Payne not fit to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,562 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Think they are up against it today. Can they summon the spirit of Jack and eek out a draw to stay in with a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Criticism of a Men's tournament is usually more directed at individuals/teams - that Ronaldo is a wimp, ha ha Harry Maguire, bloody Spanish and their diving, Argentina timewasting etc.

Whereas some of the criticism of this tournament seems to veer into questions about the whole merits of the tournament and its existence, even the woman's game itself. It just seems a different type of criticism to me.

A small example would be goalkeeping. If David De Gea gets beaten at the near post or a weak shot through his fingers (qv at least 10 times a season) then it's held up as example of how terrible DDG is. Whereas in the Woman's game it is held up an example of the how terrible goalkeeping is in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,255 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ireland are 22nd in the world, Canada 7th. Bookies have Canada serious favourites.

Then again Nigeria are ranked 40th and drew with Canada so….

we need something from this…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

People generalise men's leagues all time time. Premier league is fast, championship is tough, series a is defensive.

In my opinion the keepers in women's soccer are a weak point. It's getting a lot better but a good keeper is rare in my opinion. Your example above about DDG is good, it would be commented on because it was rare. It probably wouldn't be as big in the women's game as it isn't as rare.

And the game is a lot slower women can't kick the ball as hard, they can't run as fast.

But that is only a problem if you compare it directly to the men's game. Personally I enjoy it. I attend a lot of psv women's games with my daughter. The progression in the last few years is great to see especially in the professional teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

De Gea made up for all those mistakes by keeping 17 clean sheets in the Premier League 2022/2023. More than any other keeper. What does "qv" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hmmm. qv should have been q.v. quod vide. Latin. I think it means something like 'for further information see'.

Lets not go down that tangent though. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Come on you girls in green!!! 💚

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

C’mon girls country needs a lift this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If I’m not posting during the game it’s because I’m waiting for the camera to scan to my daughter’s section 😆

COME ON YOU GIRLS IN GREEN!!!

Goal!!!!

Didn't McCabe almost do that against Australia too?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Like Steve Staunton against Northern Ireland in the nineties, perfect start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Irish goal in the fourth minute.

Yeah, slow play indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Great ball in, though you should never be able to score from a corner, stroke of luck 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Shambolic from the keeper 😂😂😂

• McCabe has some left peg.

They are playing well and holding the ball well. Canada are rattled.

That keeper is weak

hammer balls at her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Great start. Much more attacking play than against Australia and it's working well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A brilliant French TV ad for the womens world cup:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I feel like the coverage of this tournament is somewhat "pushed" rather than as a result of natural interest - particularly from rte. The run up to this had a strong feel to me at least of promotion rather reporting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's helps us that Canada and Nigeria are basket cases of FAI proportions off the field.

Is this a Nicky Quaid contact lens moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Someone on the radio yesterday said that trying to score direct from a corner should be a tactic. Because women goalkeepers are generally not as tall as men goalkeepers, but the size of the goals is the same. It can be seen sometimes in general play as well where a shot goes in which would have been reached by a man keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Why is Samantha libreri covering the women’s World Cup in Australia/NZ? Nothing against her at all, just thought she was a political or court correspondent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,255 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We were blessed then, that was a complete sitter the Canadians missed, literally easier to score

In fairness to her she is a genuine football fan

• Advertisement

Advertisement