Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

SA were nominated for team of the year in 2018, 2nd favourites going into the last RWC and were Rugby Championship winners, I find people like you who back SA lose all you're credibility when you cant get even basic facts right about SA it almost makes me weary about accepting it. So many SA backers are clinging so desperately to the last RWC to hold onto any hope inspite of all the red flags we've seen since that is borderline pathetic at this stage.

He has to be SH, only an SH fan could have such a narrow mentality when it comes to test rugby. https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/rankings/mru check out the latest world rankings and that will tell you that Oz, NZ & SA arent the best 3 teams in the world...

And incredible team that is still behind Ireland as we saw in the 6N and in the latest world rankings, almost every argument he made against Ireland winning can also be attributed to France but as usual just like the media some fans or experts are very selective when they consider facts, the main area France are clearly ahead is having the media spotlight on them who will stop at nothing to keep this narrative of France winning their home World Cup on track and I feel for any side that knocks them out as they will have hit piece after hit piece written about in revenge.

Do a quick count, how many of the current French side played in those finals or semi finals (ill give you a hint, its the same number as Ireland). And again desperately hanging onto history, certain fans have really just lost their mind at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

This is just thin skinned and mildly paranoid. Often the teams coming in who look strong and have their tactics worked out and are coming from a wining season do well in the WC so I actually fancy Ireland's chances this time but their record at the WC is real, while the different players argument is superficial. NZ have been the best team in the word regularly for 100 years, chances are that will continue. Lots of different players involved. Brazil are always going to be a top World Cup team because they produce amazing footballers, consistently. This stuff means something. Ireland are new to the top table and can be considered a top 5 team only in the last decade, we don't have a legacy of success at the world cup and that means something. I'm old enough to remember when wining a triple crown was a significant achievement because it was so rare. Now its common, history matters in sport because sport is cultural and what's in your head is important to culture.

I don't really think it is, its something I thought about at the beginning of the cycle and now I feel I'm being vindicated. But conversely that's why I think people backing SA are really clutching at straws. Yes they have but crucially they arent the best team in the world now and haven't been for the whole RWC cycle. History matters yes but certain fans and experts are putting far too much weight on the importance of history. The reality is the majority of what will determine who will win the RWC is the work that has been done over this 4 year cycle and recent form, thinking you can ignore all that and back a team just because of history is naive to put it mildly. Going into this RWC the best 2 teams in the world based on the last 4 years are undoubtedly Ireland & France which is reflected in the world rankings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's fair enough, but SA were nowhere near the best team in the world in the 4 year cycle leading up to their last win either, to the point that they changed coach, what, 18 months prior to the RWC? (They lost to Italy for the first time in their history in that cycle for example. It must be close to the worst cycle of any RWC winner?).

A country's history in the RWC, and their psychology are definitely related, in some nebulous way. (In the same way the All Blacks were serial under-achievers for years; it adds pressure, even if it was a completely different set of players).

The thing in our favour this time that is really encouraging, aside from how brilliantly we've been playing, is also that we seem to be pretty strong psychologically. We generally come flying out of the blocks in matches, and we showed huge mental resolve to win the series in NZ following the loss in Eden park.

I just hope it, at a minimum, results in a performance. We have barely fired a shot in a QF.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Advertisement

Because they had an extraordinarily bad head coach for the first half of the cycle which was a mitigating factor in assessing their 2019 cycle, in the 2nd half of the cycle they managed to win a Rugby Championship. This cycle they had the same coaching staff throughout so there isn't the same factors involved.

They are related, the issue here is applying too much weight to history and its effects. People keeping banging this drum with France in the last 2 WC's despite how poor they were playing and the RWC showed that the most important factor in assessing how a team will do at a RWC is their form both currently and over 4 years.

It's quite clear that this is a different Irish side to previous one's both in how they play and how they are psychologically which were all red flags with the last few sides. One thing I see online is a lot of people trying to criticise this team based on either A. Ireland in 2019 and B. Leinster in the Champions cup this year and while there is some truth to A. (I think using Leinster as any indication on how Ireland go is utter nonsense and I still can't believe some people try to use it as any evidence) what I think both these points prove is that even the Ireland detractors have accepted that there aren't many, if any, flaws in the current side that they have to resort to digging through their archive or even more desperately use a club side as evidence. The best as well is during the 6N thanks to the injury crisis so many players got a look in, we got to see further evidence of how strong mentally they are and that the team can still get even better which they will need to be in order to win the tournament.

I genuinely have no doubt if we go out in this RWC it wont be because we bottled it, we'll go out because of how utterly ridiculous our side of the draw is as in reality we could play at our best and still lose as anyone out of Ireland, France, NZL, SA could beat the other on any given day and you still have SCO who cant be discounted either.

Fair enough but to buttress the history argument lets say SA or NZ win the cup. It's no big deal beyond the rugby fraternity, yet if Ireland were to win the World Cup it would be a genuine news story far and wide and way beyond rugby, because no matter how good they are on paper they're still an outside bet because of the simple fact hat they've never before come close to that achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

SA didn't go into the last WC as "no hopers" and I don't know anyone who would have said that. They had just won the Rugby Championship and bang in form.

Very few and with Joe finger prints all over the team the NZ public are quietly confident

Munster fans will remember how SA crashed before the last WC as it caused them to lose their coach. SA were a mess and going into the competition many people thought it would catch up with them,, as Aloof makes clear above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Rugby semi-finalists have proved harder than soccer to change at the World Cup level - a more predictable game with fewer teams to choose from - but there will be change eventually. Anyway, we could play better this time and still go out early because of the draw, something we’ll have a hard time explaining to the rugbyphobes. In defence of Argentina, I imagine they must get much less time together as a team than we do given that many of our players belong to one province? Surely, this would tend to give us better results between World Cups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

They look to be peaking at the right time. And with that tip I have sunk their chances.

They were a mess 2 years out from the RWC, going into the RWC they certainly weren't a mess. In 2018 they were nominated for team on the year (only 3 teams are nominated) and in 2019 going into the RWC they won the rugby championship. The one positive from the first half of the WC cycle was many Bok players got blooded such as De Klerk, Marx, Steph du Toit, Am, Kitshoff etc. which helped down the road as these players were already up to speed with test level by the time Erasmus came in. In 2019 they were in a much better spot going into the RWC as they were more consistent, in better form and their squad was just pushing the average age profile of most RWC champions (their squad on average was 1 month older than the Irish squad and the Irish squad was considered old) and 4 years on a lot of those players are still there and most aren't as good as they were back then and most of the replaced ones haven't been replaced with a player of similar quality.

That was 2 years out. Mostly down to selection policies etc

As I said 2 years later they won the Rugby Championship and no longer a mess. They had a SA game plan and the cattle to play it. I don't know anyone who said they entered the last World cup as "no hopers"

If this is coming from your mate who is a student of the game, I think he might need to go back studying :-) joke so please tale no offense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

where do you view their biggest weakness? or is it simply down to coaching?

I don't think he said Aus, RSA and NZ were the 3 best teams but were 3 of the best teams in the world. Which I think is a fair call.

I can't see the Boks winning this RWC. I don't think they have the consistency or depth to win 3 tough knock out matches in a row on top of coming through a tough group. I feel the same about the ABs.

People pointing out that RSA won the Rugby Championship prior to the 2019 RWC, I'm pretty sure the ABs didn't win the RC in 2011 and 15. But did in 2003 and 07.

Front row, loose forwards, 10, back 3 and head coach. I don't think our props are good enough and in the other 3 areas, I don't think we have settled on our right combinations.

• Administrators Posts: 53,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Irish fans really do have this misty eyed view of Joe Schmidt.

If Joe Schmidt gets his fingerprints all over them and has the ABs playing like his Ireland team I'd be happy enough. We'd have a better chance of beating them if they played Schmidt rugby.

10? do you not think mounga is good enough to steer the ship? hes my 10 all day.

i agree on the props (id include all the front row). it looks like theyve settled at this stage but i dont think the quality is there compared to ireland and france.

Cane, while playing better this year than previous, isnt good enough, in my onion to be on the team, never mind captaining. Not mobile enough to play the game they seem to want to play these days. Papalii at 7, frizell at 6 and savea at 8 is a good back row. I like jacobsen as the bench option.

head coach is an issue, but at least in this years TRC theres a semblance of a game plan. i still fancy france in the first game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Indeed. Schmidt-ball became utterly predictable and disastrous for Ireland in the last World Cup and 6 nationals when Schmidt was at the helm.

• Advertisement

schmidth has ireland playing possession based rugby because he felt he didnt have the time to get all the players playing the passing / power play style that he employed at leinster. it was low risk rugby but did reap high rewards until his final year.

schmidth however shouldn't be reduced to just being a coach who can play low risk possession based rugby (his years at leinster show this). While its impossible to say exactly what the upturn in NZs form this year has been down to, it would be difficult not to see schmidths stamp on it. Theres a high degree of precision needed, high skill level and complete concentration on the small details. Yet you wouldn't describe how NZ are playing currently as "low risk" or "predictable"

I think Mouaga is the right choice at 10 but I could see Foster tinkering with DMac or BB there if the ABs lose a game. They should be in match back up, not starters.

I think the hookers are good enough but I'd like to see Aumua there instead of either Taylor or Coles. Probably Taylor because Coles is such a pest.

100% agree with all you said about the loosies.

I think Schmidt has definitely improved the side and isn't looking to have them play like he had Ireland play. He is obviously going to place a big emphasis on accuracy and discipline, which is needed. However the skillset that the kiwi players have is higher than what Irish players had during his tenure so the team can play a different style. As was mentioned, more like Leinster than Ireland as they don't have to work on basic skills. Hope that makes sense.

Why would Joe do that?

He didn't think the Irish players had the handling skills and didn't have the time with them that he did with Leinster so created a game plan to win.

"Schmidt rugby" was the game Leinster and Clermont played. Some Irish fans have a very very short memory.

• Administrators Posts: 53,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He has even less time with the AB players than he had with the Ireland players. His time with Leinster and Clermont is so long ago it's of little relevance now.

We are a good enough team now that we don't need to start worrying about the ABs to a greater extent just because they have Joe Schmidt as part of their panel!

Nobody is saying that Joe shouldn't have changed post 2018, teams worked out Ireland and they concentrated on them post the NZ win, but he didn't and according to Rob Kearney none of the players or coach's realised the issue till post the Twickers game in warm up.

Plus Farrell has done the right thing and built on what Joe did. E.g. we still have power plays off set pieces etc. Plus Paulie was brought in and everyone has pointed out Paulie has taken a lot of what he learned from Joe into his role.

It was discussed at the time he didn't think the Irish players had the skill set and he didn't have the time to bring them up like he did in Leinster.

Based on Farrell and what he did after 2 years Joe was wrong on this

But he will certainly believe the NZ players have the skills so he doesn't need that time he thought he needed with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He didn't think the Irish players had the handling skills and didn't have the time with them that he did with Leinster 

Did Joe say that? I don't think he did.

Like, we won the GS, a tour in Australia and beat the ABs in 2018. It's not like he was starting from scratch.

Not that I can remember but he played a very low risk game, when he joined Leinster BOD confirmed he told them he wanted them to be the best passing team in Europe and that is what they became.

I can't remember if Joe said it but certainly it was discussed many times over the years he was coach.

I seem to remember, I think it was Murray Kinsella, saying that a lot of SH coachs come over to NH and just don't think the players and the weather allow for that more attacking passing style so revert to a more low risk plan. It was low risk but a game plant to win which it did. I don't see why people complain about it. His record as Irish coach speaks for itself

In 2019 they drew with NZ and beat the other two in a 3 match run. No-one was jumping up and down about them and when NZ beat them in the group stage they were written off. They'd been off form for years at that stage. Rassie primed them perfectly as it turned out but if they'd been blown out of the group few people would have been surprised. In 2018 the went 1-1 against both OZ and NZ, winning at home and losing on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's a huge amount of hindsight here.

SA were well beaten in the pool by NZ, were very unimpressive against Japan in the QFs and fell over the line with a late penalty to beat Wales in the SF. They didn't remotely look like a RWC-winning team until the final so I'm not sure they were that well primed at all.

Of course, once they actually made the final, they didn't look back, credit where it's due.

Advertisement