Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I recall watching Kilkenny v Waterford in 2008 and every puck that day seemed to be a Kilkenny point, they were flying over from all angles and distances. The poor hapless Deise lads were beaten by 20+ points in the end, despite getting 1-13. That's how it was in the last quarter of the match on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Thats a first I have heard re inhalers. I have seen for years rumours about Klopps team and inhalers online. Never bought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

The much sought after runners up 🏅 for ye so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

When you cant bait em accuse them of cheating!

Same old story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

same with Team Sky in cycling, Wiggins and Froome were asthmatics for a while.... (as were a lot of the peleton) It can be used to mask other substances, its benefit through an inhaler is of course aids breathing, therefore helps you exercise/run more, but the injection variation has a marked increase in performance.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The reason we tired in the last 20 mins was because of the effort exerted over the first 50 to keep into Limerick. When you're giving up 2 or 3 inches in height and the equivalent bodyweight each collision is going to take more and more from the smaller player than the bigger player and that's going to compound over time. Add in the mental fatigue of trying to keep in with their short passing and movement through the middle and it's eventually going to tell.

Look at the hits to Butler, Fogarty, Mullen and Phelan in the first half. Each one of them were proper shook and that takes a toll.

To simply say oh the players are not fit enough when they've repeatedly shown they can keep going 70+ against Galway and Clare just shows a misunderstanding of what is taking place on the field. Clare drew level with us after O Donnells goal on 63 mins and yet we outscored them 5 to 2 in the last 10 mins. Were we not fit enough then?

Saying we're not as fit as Limerick ignores the very simple reality that a good big lad beats a good small lad every day of the week. And just like when we had Henry and Gorta et al Limerick have that wonderful mix of huge men who can all hurl and in the case of someone like Lynch can make the ball dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

What was the story with the fourth offical running after the Limerick back room team offical last Sunday it looked strange. No all ireland minor title since 2014 or senior since 2015 only one under 20 since 2008 says its own story. As regarding Eoin Murphy puck outs it has gone on 2016 made allstars out of the two Mahers they cleaned up that day, same thing 2019. Do not buy into it is orders if you see a thing is not working you usualy learn about a mistake.

I’d accept what JJ said. But my real point was the investigation in to rules being broken is poor to say the least wasn’t there supposed to Be a cap on team expenditure. Don’t be blaming me for bringing up these subjects If the rules of the games are being broken they have to be punished simple as otherwise the game is f…ked and most people on here agree that the game is heading that way. A clash of hurls nowadays would get someone sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

100% this. Look at the Limerick half back line on Sunday. 6'4", 6'4", 6'6". Look at their half forward line. 6'5", 6'2", 6'1". Combined that's a 17" advantage over our lads or almost 3" per player. Not only are they big men, they also hit very hard and often do so right on the edge of what the referee will allow. They're happy to take a yellow when needed. It absolutely has to take it's toll.

• Advertisement

Contd.while throwing a ball is allowed. Would ye all agree with that.

Limerick are a very big physical team but also a very skillful one. I think a lot of teams are probably as skillful but they are not as physical. They play the game on the edge and also the rules like the Kk team 15 years ago. Its not their fault re throwing the ball. If they are not being pulled up its the officials fault IMO. Now if that was a KK team winning that way on Sunday Donal Og and the media would be jumping up and down complaining and calling us cheats and calling for inforcement of the rules.

Hurling is dying and it needs serious looking into. I dont know why? Having the final in July has being a diaster IMO but its not the real reason. The final will always get could viewing figures. Munster is competitive and Leinster while not as competitive has 4 teams that fancy beating each other. So its a 9 team event. So in reality you only have 9 counties with a serious interest or good interest. The northern half of the country has no interest. Antrim has a team and thats about it.

Whats the solution? Well if you say scrap the provincials for an open draw Munster Hurling fanboys will be in uproar. Leinster is not Leinster anymore as you have Galway in it and Antrim this year. We need to get more Counties involved but they are too weak to be competitive so do you have an Ulster Team instead of individual counties. Maybe the same with remaining Connaught teams? Pool some of the Leinster counties together like Laois and Offaly. Something radical needs to be done. Also we need to get the big games played in diffeerent parts of the country. I know it might be an inconvience to travel but imagine playing 1 or 2 big games in the likes of Mayo or Donegal. Bring the Munster and Leinster Finals there. Create a buzz in those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Village87

Throw in Limerick have some of the best hurlers to ever play the game. Kyle Hayes and Diarmuid Byrne's will go down as 2 of the best ever wing backs to play the game. Great in the air, great athletes, great hurlers and great to get scores. Cian Lynch is a magician and Arron Gillane is a serious inside man. They are an unbelievable team and set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Derek went down to cork to the league final with a few younger lads and it was a tough afternoon. He went back to the tried and tested for the championship. On reflection they will look back at it being a mistake starting Walter and moving back two players.Lads like conor Delaney and Darragh Corcoran will be asking themselves questions over the winter.

Puckout distribution has being a big problem and I couldn't belive scruff went long with so many in the second half despite getting absolutely murdered.

Tom phelan and David blanchfield were the only breakthrough players and Tom is 27 now. Maybe we need to be looking at the 24 or 25 year old player. Shane walsh is a quare one because I find it hard to see how Billy Ryan can be ahead of him. Shane will also be asking himself where is this going? James bergin was another who was let go quickly.

I was talking a parent recently who's young lad is on the development squads and it's no wonder results aren't being published. Something has seriously gone wrong at underage. This doesn't guarantee success I know but as I said before we are probably over achieving with our shocking underage.

Derek has a big job on his hands now trying to find 7 or 8 players. I don't know if we have them but there's a big job on.

Conor Delaney should be packing it in himself at this stage. If he is not getting a run why bother sticking around, management obviously wont be playing him, he must be 27 now. Shane Walsh is the same, not good enough and management wont be picking him, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Oh my god 🙄

I think you hit it spot on. Derek has a massive job now. Unfortunately he is not going to win the AI with the older players and needs to find half a team. IMO he didnt blood enough younger players in the championship. The big question that leads too is why he didnt?

Starting Walter was a massive error. He has being most effective coming off the bench last few years.

Murphy is a great shot stopper but his distribution is not upto the standard needed to win an AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

This is a disgraceful post and should be taking down. Screams sore loser all over. Embarrassing.

Another one with the conspiracy theories. What utter nonsense. How about you give all your evidence into KCLR FM and get them to do a piece on it on the wonderful gaa show they have. And see how long it takes for the solicitors to get involved.

• Advertisement

Comerman, no offence I'm sure he is a good club player, and its not only Conor Delaney but when was the last time he played a match for Kilkenny? Fair play to Liam Blanchfield and lads like that, they had plenty of chances and when mid 20s they were not getting a run they dropped themselves off it. Invest in the younger players who stick out in club when it kicks off. That's the evolution of intercounty hurling I'm afraid. Lot of deadwood not good enough hanging around. As stated by posts above a big undertaken from management moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Lads we all saw the pics of the limerick men after I think the munster final last year..they are beasts of men. As other posters have said when you have a smaller man being hit hard and often by a bigger man it will take its toll. Limerick are on the road a long time and have serious strength and conditioning work done..add to that their system means the opposition are running around chasing shadows all day its not hard to see how they can outlast opposition in a war of attrition..that's ignoring the fact that they have some hurlers that will go down as all time greats....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Conor injured for most of last year? I agree with you fully that there needs to be a shake up but Conor wouldn't be the first name to come to mind. Plenty of "uninjured" players sitting on the bench for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Yeah scruffs puckouts in the second half were poor into that strong wind and as someone posted earlier he ignored free men a few times in favour of lumping it long.

The wind had a huge bearing on the game also and as someone posted on the Limerick thread there was very little mention of that on TSG.

The wind from the Hill 16 end has a greater effect than a wind blowing from the canal end because of the shelter from the Davin stand.

I said it already lots of little things didn’t go our way and not winning the toss was another one, but as you said we didn’t seem to have a plan or puck out strategy for playing into the wind.

And surely if you are pucking into a strong wind, and your puckouts are being gathered for fun by the opposition midfield/Half backs ... you would think you would change this, and start going short?

How is it disgraceful exactly. I said there was a lot of talk around this is a forum for issues to be discussed. On throwing the ball the Limerick lads are getting away with it for years that is not there fault but the fact of the matter is they are throwing it , do you agree with this and if you condone cheating should you not be dropped from this forum.

So you want to be a moderator now. The throwing part is not what I was referring to it, it's the other stuff you made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Do you really need someone to explain the this to ya 😅 maybe its the fact you suggested a team could be involved in doping or maybe i'm going a bit cracked 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Advertisement