Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I don't disagree with anything you say here.

I just wish that the European market wasn't only about the cheapest possible operation.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Ireland trains

At the same time I know many who are willing to pay slightly more for Aer Lingus who are perceived as having a superior product. This downgrade will probably see them turning to Ryanair, where they will get cheaper tickets for the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Reuters reported yesterday that Airbus is facing a range shortfall for the A321XLR.

Concerns were previously raised over the safety of the new rear centre fuel tank which prompted a redesign including a protective liner and other reinforcements which have added considerable weight to frame. The aircraft was marketed as a 4,700nm airframe but the added weight has knocked off around 200-300nm, in real world operations that puts it closer to having a 4000nm range.

Reuters also report Airbus has even offered deals on the A330neo to some customers.

It seems Airbus has reached the absolute limit of what it can achieve with the A321 airframe in terms of range. I doubt Aer Lingus are particularly thrilled with the news, especially after the A321LR delivery delays and it's poorer than expected runway peformance.

While I doubt Aer Lingus (or any other airline) will be rushing to switch to the A330neo (it serves a totally different role than what airlines intended the XLR for) it could be a good way of getting their hands on new widebodies at knock down prices.

Even with the range penalty, the XLR should still open up a number of new markets for Aer Lingus in the US midwest, Florida and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI have to operate in the European market competively. They have the toughest of competition that anyone can face I believe much more than most do at home hubs, It is simply not prudent to gamble a niche by operating reduced capacity on aircraft to satisfy a continent expectation that simply does not exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

That is entirely anecdotal and is the running commentary in this thread at the moment, results show different I'm afraid and facts matter.

• Advertisement

The expectation doesn't exist because it's a race to the bottom.

I suspect that a few rows of Premium Economy in the front of the short haul fleet would do just fine out of Dublin – but we'll never know that because nobody's prepared to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Paul2019

Last time myself and the other half went to Hamburg for a leisure short break the choice was EI departing at 06:15 or Ryanair.

I wouldn't consider Ryanair at that time (all that queuing and standing around in all kinds of locations and weather) and the EI crack-of-dawn flight arriving hours before a hotel room would be available was unattractive to put it mildly.

So, Lufthansa Business Class via FRA outbound and MUC on the return with excellent lounges was the solution - afterall it was meant to be an enjoyable experience, and so it was. For a follow up trip to Berlin, Lufthansa was the winner again. Fewer trips with better service are the way to go for us from now on.

PS for long haul Business Class, I won't consider any airline that involves using EI economy flights to get to or from the airline's hub.

It may well be a good thing that EI doesn't provide Business on short flights because to do so requires consistency and excellence - unfortunately EI has neither of those qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Are there any NSC cabin photos floating around?

Your point about connecting to EI economy is on the money. I don't do business flights all that often, but I'll be effed if I'n going to follow an eleven hour long haul slog with an EI short haul bus service.

If you book Aer Lingus business class to the USA with a connecting flight at the American end, does Aer Lingus still put you in economy on the connecting flight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the AerSpace seats are allocated to connecting J Class pax if available. Not 100% on that though.

(My info dates from the initial planning of such a set-up, which is 8 years old)

"It seems Airbus has reached the absolute limit of what it can achieve with the A321 airframe in terms of range. I doubt Aer Lingus are particularly thrilled with the news, especially after the A321LR delivery delays and it's poorer than expected runway peformance..............

.............Even with the range penalty, the XLR should still open up a number of new markets for Aer Lingus in the US midwest, Florida and South."

My understanding was that the early performance issues were runway related rather than the aircraft itself?

Am happy to be corrected on that.

Regarding the XLR, I dont really think we will see EI using it to operate much beyond 8 hours. While the aircraft has the range for Dublin to St Louis they will run into flight crew restrictions. (DUB-STL is approx 9 hrs 20 on great Circle mapper)

Chicago uses double daily A330. Miami and Orlando receive A330s. Dublin to Minneapolis was longer and was planned to be the A321LR (before Covid shut everything down) But that was a new route which was initially operated by the B757.

I think that cities similar to Cleveland/Hartford/Detroit/Cincinnati/Pittsburgh/Montreal/Columbus etc will see the A321LR/XLRs before anywhere else. Maybe they prefer double A321 versus single A330, as they are currently doing on DUB-IAD. (DUB-EWR and DUB-YYZ are candidates for this frequency upgrade) Which would then free up the A330 to operate deeper into the USA? (Denver/Dallas/St Louis etc)

Their timetable for December shows a 3rd DUB-JFK being operated by an A321LR. Offering extra capacity to the route for the busy Xmas season.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Nope. I fly often in long haul J class both east and west-bound with a first leg on EI (Shannon through preference, DUB if the prices dictate - but that's another story and gripe). If you're on a BA or AA full fare J class ticket on (e.g.) the EI 380 (321 Neo) you get sat in the economy cabin and can't even choose your seats before getting to the airport. AA tend to allocate you a better seat in an exit or near-the-front row, but BA seems to be completely random. If I'm flying out of DUB on one of these flights I now always choose BA for the short haul J product which usually has no impact on the overall fare.

This is why I've commented a few times that EI need to align more with their sibling partners (which they act like they're in denial of).

I totally understand and agree with your point given current market economics, but I don't think EI will ever out compete FR (As suggested in my ancient post #3303 on this thread); and I find the assumption that price will always win over quality a bit depressing.

The world changes. I remember a time, pre-FR's dominance, when BA's forward fleet plan was based on the assumption of multiple wide bodies daily from LHR to FRA and elsewhere in Europe. This rapidly changed into buying a lot of 319s and offering convenience and service (to some extent) whilst much of the travelling masses chose to go elsewhere for cheaper fares. There are a lot of uncertainties surrounding aviation at the moment. Demand is increasing (will this last?) despite quite steep price rises, aviation's sustainability performance is ever-more exposed and questioned, pilots are in short supply, global working practices are changing - probably permanently - which has reduced (but certainly not eliminated) business travel, etc.

Given all of this I can see a scenario in a few years time where EI might need to paddle up market again to win premium customers, who may be back as a mainstay of airline economics. If they've committed too much into the current competitive race to the bottom they may struggle to pull themselves up. And if you look at the USA where AA, DL and others still offer blended cabin products in the face of strong competition from Southwest and others, I really can't understand why a 'club europe' style product couldn't work for EI right now and protect some semblance of quality differentiation from FR. As someone else has said today, LH and others offer good connecting products. For me these beat driving to DUB in the middle of the night to catch a first-wave flight, however cheap it might be. I wonder whether data from the (sometimes oddly-priced) Aerspace product exists that would show whether a demand exists for something a little better?

Tenger said

"I think the AerSpace seats are allocated to connecting J Class pax if available. Not 100% on that though."

Thanks for your response Tenger but my question refers to a connecting flight at the USA end.

Say, Dublin - Seattle - Boise in Business class booked with EI.

Last time I booked that, the Seattle - Boise flight was with Alaska in economy, even though there was First Class available on that connecting flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 soiben

Saw a video online of what I assume to be EI-FNJ based on the seat back with the main seat cushion not attached to the frame whatsoever. Incidentally I flew EI-FNJ back in February when the seat of myself and all the passengers around me were forced into the recline. Based on my interactions with the passengers around me, we were equally unimpressed with the issue. It was throughout the whole aircraft as I was travelling in a party of 2 with someone else sat elsewhere on the aircraft. I was thinking does this not raise a safety issue? People are told multiple times throughout the flight to keep their seat in the full upright position yet if this is not possible what must happen. I can't find the response to my complaint in my emails but it was something along the lines of the issue would be rectified. Shame that I had to see nothing had been done in light of all the positive news surrounding the new neo (which I look forward to flying!) but I do think they need to take a long hard think about which portion of the fleet is still dominant across the overall network and consider what the average customer will be likely to fly on when flying with Aer Lingus.

That depends on the fare that you book in my experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Anyone know why there seems to be a window missing in the last row compared to NSA/B ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might be nothing to do with it but I am reminded of the BA customer who complained there was a window in the toilet, who is going to be watching at 35,000 feet? 😝

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

I have rung EI in advance and they could allocate a seat at the front. But crazy that some fares just cannot do it online - their app and IT system is well behind other airlines.

EI-NSC cabin;

Pretty much as expected, the IAG standard in all its glory. Some headrest covers would give it some personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Agreed... The headrest covers give a good pop of colour to the LRs - shame they don't add them to match the space/preferred/std config.

The seat back is solid Vs. the literature carve-out on NSA/B.

Thanks for the retweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Pity the power ports are so low. Awkward on a full flight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I'd prefer if they had universal power outlets instead of USB. Or better still both. My phone charges much, much faster with the power adapter.

Yep. The SL3510 seat is so basic in design there's probably no capability to install ports within the seat back structure, it has to be an external device as seen on those photos. Ironically, the BL3530 on NSA/NSB, can have USB power built into it at a more practical level for passengers thanks to its bulkier seat back design.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Qaanaaq

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

How come they have done away with the head rests? Aerlingus seem to be getting very scabby and may aswell just rebrand as Ryanair at this rate.

Probably because it's the IAG standard and Aer Lingus would have had little say in the matter. When IAG ordered hundreds of A320neo for its group carriers, it also ordered tens of thousands of super lightweight seats from Recaro, along with other fixtures and fittings from various suppliers.

The ability to bulk buy everything from aircraft to sick bags gives the group huge negotiating power over these supplies but it also means they often go with the bare minimum to keep the costs of these huge orders down and operations as simple and effecient as possible.

It's dull and unimaginative, you'll find these exact same seats on Vueling, Level, Iberia and British Airways, but when you've got hundreds of aircraft to fit out, it's sensible business.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

Thank you for the detailed response. Hope you don’t mind me asking but is the little things like these being left out not going to influence the people who would usually fly EI over FR for the extra bit of comfort to now just fly FR for more or less the same product for a cheaper price? I would have always flown EI but over the last couple of years their product has seriously deteriorated. Simple head tests are not a big ask especially for an airline that claims to be a 4 star airline.

That’s new. I’ve tried calling the EI concierge desk before but they were unable to help on another airline’s ticket. Have a similar flight in a few days time - will give it a go…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

Hopefully works. Was a corporate booking with multiple booking codes but the person I was onto was able to manage it.

Advertisement