Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTB registration penalties

Options
  • 26-07-2023 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Registered rental property with RTB each time new tenant.Existing tenant registered 1/9/2018.Got letter confirming no charge for 6 years provided no change in tenant or rent.There has been no change until now.I now arranged to increase rent from 1/9/2023.However when I go to register this online there is arrears of 100 as well as annual registration of 40.Anyone had this problem resolved?Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought it used to be every 4 years you had to reregister, even if the tenancy was the same?

Anyway, a few years ago it changed to yearly registration. I got letters about it at the time, can't remember exactly when it was but I'm guessing that's where your arrears stem from.

ETA - I found the notice from the RTB - the law changed in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ThomasJoseph

The letter was issued to me in reply to registering tenant on 1/9/2018.One paragraph says'Registration lasts the length of the tenancy,but subject ta a maximum of six years,if the tenancy commenced after 23 Dec.2016.This means that tenancies must be re-registered where they have existed for six years or every time a new tenancy commences'.I am now increasing rent so intend to re-register.However I cannot see how I should have incurred penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Because that letter was superceded by a change in the law to a requirement to register (and pay the fee) annually from 2020.

As I said, I received advance notice by post about it - you either didn't, or missed it.

I'd say your only option is to contact the RTB and explain that and see how far you get with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The change to annual registration was all-encompassing, even if it would previously have been exempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

The annual registration took over for new registrations, but ones that were registerd for the longer time (e90) were ok until the time period ran out or until a new tenant moved in.

The new registration allows you to change the name on a registration if you have a new tenant in the 12 month period, the old system did not allow you cange the name , even if the old tenant moved out after a month, meaning you had to pay another e90 even if that tenant had only been in situ a month.

Ask me how I know?

The system is broken and its not getting any better, as for trying to reach them, it's a disaster.

I gave up trying to point out the old system and where I was right and they were wrong and even a local councillor said I was correct, but after emails and different people replying all the time, I gave up and just paid the late fees for one of my properties-just not worth my time.

Then you have the registering and the enforcement department, neither of which communicate to share or help with information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Field east

The €90 that was paid once every 6 years has been changed , by law, to €40 per year. There are a few situations where there are once off exemptions depending when the tenancy started. The mind boggles as to why this extra money is needed. From my experience The RTB is TOTALLY DISFUNCTIONAL and gone away beyond NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. It is practically impossible to make contact with it and when you do they can be quiet obstreperous and very difficult to get answers out of them

i hope that when the PAC - Public Accounts Committee - is finished with the RTE debacle that it will swiftly move on the the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Some landlords love the RTB. The RTB has driven rents up to their highest ever levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ThomasJoseph

From all your comments it looks like my only solution is to cough up and say nothing (after all we're among the silent majority).

There was no help for us when the value of our property hit rock bottom in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are about .5 million rental properties to keep track of and they have this stupid Byzantine system.

Motor Tax in Shannon has 2.7 million vehicles to look after and they can send out an email telling you what you owe and giving you a PIN number to pay.

Advertisement