Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

also I should add, if you are willing to take the kids out of school (or if it times well with mid-term break) try a Europa League game or the cups. a midweek game at home to lower league should see a few tickets available. it'll be a younger team playing, but a trip to Anfield no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not really though. That's eight players not including Bacjetic. Only Thiago would be classed as injury prone amongst them so you'd expect availablity would be much better than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fabinho deal stalling over payment terms, obviously those would have been agreed so one side is reneging on the deal , Joyce indicating the transfer will still go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

👎️👎️

Lavia is a Rolls Royce of a player, he's already ready for first team action, and will only improve at Liverpool. He'll be a 150m target in two years for Real .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Lavia still has a great deal to improve before he'll be considered a £150M player.

At present he suits a team that doesn't dominate possession. He's great at intercepting, ball winning tackles followed by an over the top balls into space for the forwards to attack. However, he lacks the composure and refinement required for playing in a team that dominates possession. Watch him when he tries to cross a ball, there will be audible groans from the crowd when 9 times out of 10 he cannons the ball off of the nearest opposition player.

People need to temper their expectations of him, despite the price tag he's still only 19 years of age and learning the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For now, if he just keeps it simple, wins the ball, and plays an easy pass to Mac Allister/Szobo/Virg/Ibu/Robbo/Trent, that'll be enough. We've really lacked that ball winning mentality in the middle since Fab lost his legs, so I'd sacrifice another baller for a worker. Hopefully he'll develop some more of the playmaking over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Any of ye seen much of Bradley,is there any chance of him starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Video online of Henderson training with his new team, expected to be formalised tonight apparently

I'd doubt it any time soon... he did well on loan, but it's a very big jump up from League One. Decent option for the cups, but I don't see him starting too many PL games just yet.

• Advertisement

He was only doing what was asked I'd say, it was all down to the way the Southampton manager wanted it. I think under Klopp you'll see so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

For a man who gave so much of himself to the club for so long, it's extremely limp. He knows how people see his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Interesting assessment of Lavia, likens him to Wijnaldum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hope the Saudi money is great, cause he doesn't have a career as a public speaker anytime soon......

Is it just Gomez left from the before klopp dark days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm still in shock watching that.

I just don't really get why you need another few million to leave us to play there.

Simple as that.

It's done now though, if you told me he'd be gone a year after nearly doing a quad...

L'Equipe is reporting that Mbappe has refused to move to Saudi Arabia.

Opens up the door for Real Madrid to swoop in now, knowing that PSG are open to selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Wonder will Henderson bother to learn Arabic. Guess he's just there to collect his salary and have a kick about.

• Advertisement

Meant to write that in the transfer thread but hey, any excuse to use #Mbappe2023 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'd say he'll be concentrating on keeping his mouth shut rather than learning the language. He won't want to get Khashoggied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can barely speak English, let alone Arabic.

Fvxk him I say, for a captain to up sticks to go anywhere halfway through his contract shows his true worth, zero loyalty behind it all, nothing to him in the end, and that's without even considering where he's going.

Good riddance... we've lost better players in the past and the club survives and thrives.

FFS. He's shat the bed majorly with this decision, no doubt, but there's no need for some of the rest of that in your post.

Good riddance? Ran his legs to the ground for 12 years for us. Gutted he's leaving like he is and hate where he's going but FFS, no need for the venom.

That's some anger,jeez.

That won't be the thoughts of most fans anyway. He'll get a fantastic reception next time he's at Anfield, I guarantee that.

That's your opinion, mine differs.

As I say, a guy signs a contract he should honour if, especially when he's representing the club from a responsible position, in this case club captain.

Regardless of where he's going, his manner of leaving (the move being played out, leaked and the clubs hand being forced in a public manner) speaks volumes. His legacy is badly tainted, as I said recently the likes of Cputiho and Mascerano were vilified for forcing their moves, and their behavior wasn't as bad as Hendersons.

Guy has low standards behind all the bluster. Was still committed to play with the club for 2 years remember.

So, based on this logic, we shouldn't be trying to sign Lavia or anyone unless they're free agents?

Or almost any player we sign.

It's a bizarre rant tbh. It's full of holes.

Henderson gave us 12 years, and gave everything on the pitch when playing. He owed us nothing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Honour and pro football 🤣🤣🤣. Get a grip.

Players stay at a club for as long as it suits them financially. End of story. With very few exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He was 12 years at Liverpool. I think he has earned the right to make his own decision regarding his future. Too many people (Twitter primarily) wanting to be offended by his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Honouring his contract?

Are you new to the world of professional sports?

He was going downhill, got a few million for him and freed up his wages. Knew he would be a bit-part player this year and yet so many whinging about it. He'll get a heroes welcome when he returns to Anfield.

Offense?

Hmmm, think you've jumped the shark a bit thete. I deliberately left out the morals.

Our club captain leaving a relatively successful Liverpool team to go halfway around the world to a relatively nothing league out of the blue is what I based that post on.

It's a bit of a shock to the system even without the morals imo.

I would love to see the text messages between him and Gerrard.

Would make some reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If he stayed we’d bemoan that he’s past his prime next season and contributes sweet FA apart from a voice in the dressing room. It’s best for all parties

I’m particularly curious how he’s gonna get on there after Gerrard inevitably gets sacked.

• Advertisement

He's contracted, simple as. Of course, there is little or no loyalty in pro sport, but as the club captain he's a representative of the club, he's held to high standards, or should be. If moving, there are ways to get the move, and having blow by blow accounts of everything and twisting the clubs arm to force the move isn't the correct way to do it. It's poor form, and the club that built his reputation is left with 12 and 1 weeks to get a replacement.

The mental gymnastics around Henderson, his move and where he's going and why is something to behold. He was a good player and a good servant to the club, but the manner of his leaving leaves a very sour taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Elmo pulling no punches

Refreshing to see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don’t agree with Henderson going to Saudi but to rant on about loyalty and contracts is a bit much.

Does the same apply to Liverpool and other clubs when they try to offload players before their contract is up?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Doubt many would pass up chance to double or triple salary, while not ideal the way he went he was obviously told game time would be limited, in that case he would of had klopps blessing to go.

The man broke his nuts playing for us, was ran into the ground. I've been following Liverpool for 25 years and I think he's been one of our most important players, his red card Vs city in 13/14 I think, had that not happened would have another league title.

The man has two kids, I do not for one second begrudge him a money move to set them up for life as they are his priority, as a parent I would do the same, people need to get off the moral high ground judging as unless put in that position they have no idea what path they choose.

Thank you Jordan, you will be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's all very snowflakey , insulted by everything,.

Hendo was already wealthy. This feels like greed.

Buzzwords. Deadly.

I'd have said it was actually a far more old-school mentality to expect someone to stick by their words and ideals. Fella made a stand, made all his statements of support and equality, and then took a bundle of cash that undermined all of it. Certainly not a new trend to criticize that sort of behaviour.

Set them up for life? He's got tens of millions already - the whole family and generations beyond are set for life regardless as long as they don't do anything stupid with the money. That's the sort of wealth that continuously grows rather than shrinks if you've a half decent money manager (or even just using the general off-the-shelf bank investment plans with conservative low-risk 5-7% yield). The "we'd leave for double our salary" thing doesn't really work - I daresay if we had his wealth, we wouldn't have a salary at all because we'd be absolutely minted and able to pursue whatever interests we wanted (be-it work or hobby) without needing to ever earn another penny. And that's even before talking about the causes that he's turned his back on, and moving to a place that legally and officially considers his two young daughters and wife to be second class citizens.

When every single aspect of this move is very negative except for the money, and you're already extremely rich, it speaks to the thought process and mentality behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

How much is enough? Without knowing the ins and outs of his finances who knows.. we can agree to disagree but there isn't anyone who would turn down a chance to double or triple salary, regardless of what they earn not even mother Teresa. He was told his playing time would be limited, would you hang around as a bit part player or find an alternative?

I have no I'll feeling towards hendo, my problem is Gerrard's role in this, if he didn't come shopping he would still be here. His links to criminals but still seen as a saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Well that's that. I said don't comment until it's confirmed and more than just a rumour.

Best of luck to him, part of an incredible journey for the club from nothing to the absolute top. Past his prime, and exited before falling from sporting grace.

Going to Saudi Arabia at his age, and after the causes he put his name to though is very disappointing. Shows that it's all just PR and that even the best seeming footballers are just mercenaries.

Judge him as a footballer if you want. But for me you can't go back on your word if you make it public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

ah I dont think its too bad to be fair.... I get the feeling behind it, no matter why he's going, leaving anywhere after 12 or so years will still be difficult - he's been at Liverpool for more than a third of his life... I'm sure it is stinging him and tbf it prob hasn't fully sunk in how good he's had it at one of the best clubs in the world, like MOST players when they leave Liverpool FC.

He's a human... he's going for money, fook it, imo I think he know's he's finished at the top and he's looking to just coin it... there's people going around saying "generation wealth for this family" and all this shite.... it's simpler than that, he thinks he's done - fair enough.. He didnt want to be the Milne of the squad and imo he didnt want to sign for another PL club after being captain of Liverpool.... fair enough.....

now all this other stuff coming out and supporting members LGBTQ and all that is gonna be a tough one to swallow for anyone in that group after being so vocal... I don't know how he squares it with them, maybe he just points to "gEneRAtionAL wEAlth" for this family ???

Henderson is now the best-paid English player in the world, and will take home £36.4m every year. He's not a huge loss playing wise, it's more of an identity loss, top English clubs, needs top English players, we're getting low on those, Trent is only one now, a top player on the field.

Same does apply really, if they have contracted a player they have to pay him for the full terms of the contract, regardless of fitness, form or anything else. Club has lived up to it's end of the bargain in this case, Henderson looked after as he should have been through bouts of injury over the years, and indeed bent their own rules a couple of years ago to give him his long term contract over the age of 30 which they normally wouldn't do.

I suspect many within the club share my general opinion, very little on the club socials about him, or no big goodbye/thank you. It might eventually come, but the contrast between him signing off and the likes of Bobby or Milner is stark.

It's an old school opinion I know, but there is nothing wrong with that - a man word and signature should still stand for something.

This is it.

It's not a man going from 50k to 100k, it's going from tens of millions to closer to 100m.

If someone in his position can't stick to his morals then what chance do the rest of us have?

Anyway, that aside, it's just **** weird seeing a player like him leave us before we were done with him to go where he is going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement