Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitch McConnel.exe has stopped working

• 26-07-2023 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At a presser, Senator Mitch McConnell (of known infamy) appeared to come to the dais in a normal routine of Congress (he's the Senate Minority Leader) to talk about the state of upcoming legislation (the NDAA, military annual spending and earmarking) ... a few seconds in, he completely trailed off, and for a full 20 seconds or so, just seemed to be completely still, GOP next to him started to intervene and ask him 'do you have anything else you want to say to the press or should we go back to your office' etc.

"Well, good afternoon everyone, we're on a path to finishing the NDAA uh this week, there's been good bipartisan [I hear slurring] cooperation, and a string of uhhhhh...."

I don't know what happened, Mitch is typically sharpwitted, even if he fumbled on a thought or something he planned to say, second-guessed what he wanted to tell the press, etc., I've never seen him freeze up like this ever. He started to seem really perturbed though, I saw his eyebrows furrow. He looked genuinely scared and worried.

I'd be very concerned that he just had a health episode like a stroke, it appears very frightening. Despite his political beliefs or his machinations, I hope he's alright.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It doesn’t matter what side of the divide you stand on in America one thing seems very clear they have to many old white geriatric men in power with too much influence in running a country in 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The man has had a massive role to play in the delays and obfuscation on action to prevent climate change. He won't live long enough to see the harm he has caused. But he will go down in history as one of the bad ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A few minutes later, McConnell walked back to the news conference by himself. When asked about his health, he said he was fine. Asked whether he is fully able to do his job, McConnell said, "Yeah." 

Asked about the episode, a McConnell aide pointed to the GOP leader saying, “I’m fine,” but the aide added that McConnell “felt lightheaded and stepped away for a moment.”

"He came back to handle Q&A, which as everyone observed was sharp," the aide said.

Seems he just needed a reboot 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Looks like a shart to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe the Taylor Green one paid him a visit and scrambled his noodles for a minute or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Probably stuck in a k-hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He was never even the President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He walked back in, in a different pair of trousers. He placed a bit too much faith in a fart I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

40?

I’m barely in my 30s and I’ve had too many close calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"The president called to check on me. I told him I got sandbagged." - Mitch

Sanjay Gupta, a CNN chief medical correspondent, a practicing, teaching and licensed neurosurgeon, suggests Mitch had some kind of neurological episode at the podium.

(the Goldwater Rule is held by psychiatrists/the APA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

81 years of age…. Looks in recent press photos and the video of him becoming unwell, to have lost weight compared with a couple of years ago. Not a well looking man. Gaunt looking…

seriously, at 81, why would you want to be working in such a stressful frontline position…he was elected to the Senate in ‘85… 38 years ago… give it up and go enjoy your retirement with friends and family….you are a multimillionaire….. whatever satisfaction you get from your work, draw a line under it, go sit on your porch with your dog and a cold beer, drive a nice car collection…, spend time with the family, enjoy life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Hes a fanatic and genuinely thinks he's saving the world from those reds on the other side of the isle. That belief prevents him from retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really find it hard to have sympathy for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My 92-year-old grandfather recently had a stroke and that video matches the description my mother gave me of seeing it in the flesh.

It makes you wonder why these people keep pushing themselves to do such a job when their bodies are clearly winding down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Few people willingly relinquish power and the status it brings. It's a recurring theme throughout history and there are several rebellions, coups and revolutions that could have been prevented were it not for this.

I consider McConnell to be a horrible person. He's advanced corporate interests against those of the American people, acted solely to fortify his party's hold on power and done his part in undermining freedom.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit under"

Unfortunately McConnell and others of his ilk want to profit from selling the seeds, hire cheap labour to plant the trees, and make sure people are charged for access to the shade. Because FREEDOM! CAPITALISM! MONEY!

So while what happened to him yesterday is horrible, he's also able to afford the health care that he helps to stop the majority of his country from being able to afford. So f*ck him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The obvious Republican posters who were oh so concerned about Biden's age and word mix-ups gone v quiet...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The first thread about this on Twitter that I saw was from "Republicans". You're simply showing your ignorance, as very few on the American right like the man. He's more often loathed than loved.

This is a greater showing of your own hypocrisy, and the OP of course, as there's about 40 or 50 Biden incidents at this stage, which weren't considered thread worthy by yourselves.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is this Twitter? Nope.

Do a cross check on the count of how many obvious pro-Republican posters expressing 'concern' here about Biden stuff that didn't even make headlines express the same concern about this incident which is all over the news.

There's an actual thread for discussing Biden's "moments". The reason why they wouldn't be considered threadworthy is (a) because there's already a thread for it, and (b) they were just gaffes nothing to compare to this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The face a turtle makes when it's poking out of both ends of the shell🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Biden is unquestionably, without a doubt, old as balls. He mumbles up his words, goes off on tangents, shuffles slowly, has fallen off his bike and stuff. Some of those things can be explained by how he was born with a stutter, how much he used to jog (which has obviously had huge impact on his knees). We all get muddled up (in a conversation recently, I said FBI instead of VHI). But really, he's just old as sh*t. And all those things are regularly discussed in both the Biden thread and usually the Trump thread too when they happen.

We haven't seen Biden have a real medical emergency like McConnell had yesterday though. And given reports of recent falls he's had it signals that he may be suffering from genuine medical conditions which haven't been disclosed or revealed. And since there was no existing thread about Mitch McConnell, one was made to discuss it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there's the inevitable whataboutery. Biden's a functioning president who's made various gaffes while acting boldly on key issues like supply chains, subsidies, climate change and student debt.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You mean on X, a right wing antisemitic echo chamber full of Nick Adamses and Alpha males?

Everything on that site is Kevin Sorbo and friends first, everything else second, so that hardly tells us a damn thing. Thanks anyway.

There was a similar Joe thread, now there's a Mitch thread, seems fair, don't let it upset you greatly. Feel free to contribute your 50 examples to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Year of birth:

McConnell 1942

Biden 1942

Sanders 1941

Pelosi 1940

Clyburn 1940

Hoyer 1939

Waters 1938

Grassley 1933

Feinstein 1933

Donald Trump was born on Steny Hoyer’s seventh birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Does anyone remember when the advanced age of Comrade Brezhnev, Comrade Chernenko, Comrade Andropov and various other Soviet senior figures was a running joke in the 80s? It was even a gag on Spitting Image iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

All to old, I think Feinstein is the worst near 90 in the bluest of the states and could have easily stepped down earlier but the people around her are making so much money they will wheel her out until she passes. To be fair Grassley is little better near 90 and ran for re-election in a relatively red state.

Term limits desperately needed.

Calls for him to resign have grown loud to put it mildly. While giving a speech to a crowd over a PA system, he and the PA system were both utterly drowned out by chants of “re-ti-re” even as he yelled into the microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

And yet he got re elected.People who voted for him knew his age.

I don't suppose they would do so again but they might if they disliked the alternative enough.

(I would probably vote for him if Trump was the only alternative)

Another shocking and unfortunate development in Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's apparent condition

Can't make any definitive conclusions but it is indeed concerning. As though he doesn't know how to answer the question, which might involve indicating plans to retire or a worsening medical outlook, or inviting a challenger to his seat or throwing the incredibly fragile balance of powers in Washington into uncertainty, but he tells his handlers he understands the question and he seems facially responsive, just a deer in the headlights of camera and press though. Even in perfect health, anyone in the Minority Leader's position in this time and place, with so much going on, would have enormous difficulty finding the words to balance everything on the edges it is resting on currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's only been just over a month since the last incident and he looks like he's lost a lot of weight in that time. Clearly something serious going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Prime example of a a senior citizen filling his adult diaper in a very public place, you would think in this day and age he could be retired from public office, looking on when's he's clearly no longer in control of his facilities rather than pushing him in front of cameras in public while he looks to be suffering from the effects of a stroke , There's nothing to gain doing this to him

It's inhumane

• Advertisement

The alternative though.

As much as I loathe him, politically speaking, and as much as he is a slimey weasel, what comes next and what he’s been baying off since the Tea Party takeover of the lower party is uh, worse. Worse on just about every level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've been around long enough to remember all the jokes that were fired at the age of Soviet Union leaders back in the day. But this kind of stuff really reminds me of that.

What in the name of christ are these people thinking? 81 years of age and still rolling out to do this nonsense. It's mind boggling. There's fuck all that's admirable about this. It's just sad.

If ever there was a need for a retirement age restriction in a given realm, it's American political circles.

Sanjay Gupta (CNN) says it could be a number of things(not a stroke or a seizure-he recovers so quickly) and it may be occuring when the medication wears off.He thinks it could be ongoing as it appears as no surprise to those who are with him.

The average age of a US senator is 64.

Is there anyone in Dáil Éireann even over 64?

Dianne Feinstein is 90, riddled with dementia, and still keeps her seat because the Democrats are afraid she'd be replaced, not by a Republican, but by someone more left-leaning and progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is a very ill man, he shouldn't be put in front of the camera at this stage.

The real worry with this, who is waiting in the wings to take his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah, f*ck off lads. Sharing stuff like this for yucks is really sh*tty.

This is a man with a high office. What is happening is if public interest and concern.

Maybe you are projecting your interest on others?

Hard to imagine who could be worse.The situation itself has got worse since be became leader of the Republicans in the Senate but that is a different matter ( the role he performs is even more consequential now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Not counting Michael D, from memory there are a total seven serving TDs and senators that are in their 70s.

Busy day so off to bed and don't have time to check this but a search might confirm for you if I'm correct or not.

Mitch is brutal but it can always be worse.

Trump has made Republicans even worse than they were, and at least Mitch accepted the result of the 2020 election.

Mitch became Majority Leader in 2015 which overlaps lovely with Trump's rise.

I can't believe I'm defending Mitch McF*ckingConnell.

Ah fair enough!

Are they all in the senate? haha

Who's over 70 in the Dáil? I had a quick look and found one person over 70 in the Dáil. Bernard Durkan is 78...The closest I could find was a couple of people that were 69.

The average age of the 33rd Dáil was 48.5.

(I'm waiting for a call from a client so had time to have a quick gander)

Longer video from another angle, he stayed to answer another question...

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Any footage of Chinese or Russian leaders having moments you want to share with us, Overheal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair in China and Russia any journalist who filmed anything like that would have to delete the footage or they would disappear for a few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement