Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I have 2 Seplos Mason cases, they don't contain any bus bars or BMS, etc. I order them from Alibaba on the basis that they would take the CALB cells, but unfortunately, the cells I have won't fit in these cases.

I am hoping someone on this thread might be interested in exchanging these for 2x 3D printed holder for the Seplos BMS and LCD display.

I have additional screws and surlok plugs (surlok connectors in photos don't fit case but can be purchased from Farnell)

I can drop to anyone along the N4 or Dublin. Also willing to sell them but would prefer to exchange for a holder for the BMS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Here the dimensions of the case

External Width: 440mm Depth: 600mm Height: 250mm

2 x "Cell Bays" : Width: 178mm, Depth: 460mm, Height: 190mm, the crossbar has a max height of 210mm but these can be removed

The cases will fit EVE 200Ah/230Ah cells but not 280Ah/302Ah cells

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

• Advertisement

Mine worked out at €145 each including delivery for 302ah the ones from your link are coming up as £113 so €132 each for 280ah and how much is shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Installing wall box ev charger.

Wondering how it will work with DIY battery and Solis inverter.

basically is it smart enough to draw only solar power, will it drain house battery, will inverter try to push excess power to one battery over the other?

i imagine in most cases one wants to prioritise EV, but then perhaps in winter there are days one might want to prioritise house to avoid day rate elec?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭championc

If the Wall Box is Solar unaware, then the inverter will give power to whoever wants it.

Also, it will likely draw at a constant 7.0kW.

So with solar and non-Solar aware chargers, you're sometimes better to use the granny charger.

To block the Battery discharging, set a schedule to charge at Zero Watts / Amps for the duration of car charging

It is Solar aware- with the meter/clamp add on, which I am getting.

But wondering how does it actually work aside from modulating below 7kw when there isn't much solar, hence query over will it draw battery unhelpfully?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Not sure if this helps but I use home assistant and NodeRed flows to manage my solar/battery/heatpump/car charger use. If familiar or willing to try it's a great route to get automation exactly how you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭championc

Can the manufacturer/ installer not tell you ?

Might be worth getting a definitive statement, that gives you comeback if it doesn't perform as expected.

Meanwhile, everyone is shouting "just get a Zappi" !!!

I just don't have time now to explore the world of home assistant which i have no doubt would solve many of many household issues, puzzles, and desires! Is there any one or a company that will design and set it all up?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@graememk will do it, HA consultant and only charges €1000 per day, plus travel expenses 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Support is extra 😂

Setup isn't the issue, it's the support when something goes screwy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

You're over thinking.... If battery is charging it's sucking up the excess so car charger won't see excess.... If the battery is full and it sees excess then it'll charge the car....

Assuming you limit when the house battery can discharge it'll be fine.... Which is easier with automation....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

Hi Hexoman,

Shipping:£30.00 via DHL Express Europe (All european customers will not be charged UK VAT - but will have to pay local VAT upon arrival)

If you have to pay vat on them it makes them more expensive for a lower amp capacity.

if You’ve to pay Irish vat @ 23% that makes those batteries closer to €163 each for 280ah vs the Nkon batteries at €145 for 302ah

Post edited by hexosan on

Battery seems to be max charging at 2.15kw. Is that right or have I messed with a setting, I feel like I was getting higher at one point?

😎

What's your setup? Details of battery, BMS, inverter?

• Advertisement

Presuming you set the JK BMS to 200A max charging and discharging (or well at least 100A), I can only guess that it is your Solis throttling. They are well known for it.

Sound so absolutely no issue winding the settings up and blasting more Kw into it

😎

LiFePO4 can take 0.5C constantly, so if you have a 10kWh pack you can safely charge and discharge it with 5kW (100A)

finally got a few minutes to do a write up;

- I had limited (read "no") knowledge about electricity and DIY projects but decided to try building a DIY battery.

- The total time spent on the project was around 12 hours of actual work, excluding research and learning time. It would be less than half this if I did it again tomorrow, but I was ultra slow and cautious.

- Here's a breakdown of the time spent on different tasks:

- Unpacking, assembling the batteries, and setting up the BMS: 4 hours

- Planning battery cable setup and connections: 1 hour

- Ordering cables and accessories: 1 hour

- Browsing online: 3-5 hours

- Moving battery into storage box (optional): 0.5 hours

- Connecting battery cabling: 1 hour

- Setting up Solis (solar inverter) settings: 1 hour

- Reading forums and watching YouTube videos: 5-10 hours

List of purchases made for the project:

- Batteries: 200A CALB LiFePO4 cells from AliExpress (1620 euros, these are 1444 at time of writing)

- Isolator switch: 16 euros

- JK BMS Active Balancer: 157 euros

- Various cables, fuses, crimping tools, and accessories (total cost: approximately 200 euros). mainly used AliExpress and some bits from Amazon. Some cables locally

points that stand out;

Delivery of batteries was split over two days and required careful handling.

The BMS was easy to set up and provided a confidence boost as you see life!

Additional cables were needed for the inverter, fuse, and BMS connections.

Crimping thicker cables was challenging, got one or two made up at local auto shop, a pricey way of doing it, handy to have a heavy duty crimper tool at home.

In hindsight, it would have been better to crimp the B- and P- cables together.

Despite some complexities, the DIY battery project was successful and now battery functions. I grid shift in winter.

I got a large plastic box at homestore and that holds the batteries snugly. Be careful to have your batteries in the desired order and location when bolting together- as it's all super heavy once stitched together, so hard to move very far on your own.

There is lots of support to do all of this!!

There is 2 or 3 great YouTube channels which offer an easy way to up-skill knowledge.

A few regulars on here are also very knowledgeable and open to help. Thanks Unkel, championc, and gramemk, and others.

Looking at the Facebook PV group I see one reputable installer who can do 10kw battery for around 4,000 euro. My DIY was half that, and it would be cheaper if you have the few tools already, and I should remember I have the tools for life now so technically can't contribute all my costs to the battery alone. Battery from an installer was closer to 5k last year when I was doing this.

My main challenge at moment is my BMS not talking to inverter. If battery runs out it triggers inverter alarm and manual wake ups or resets. I think the solution is to have an active balancer seperate to a BMS that can talk to my Solis. Right now the JK BMS is both a BMS and active balancer which is convenient, easy to install, and very tidy with wires etc., but the solis communication issue is annoying and forcing some unnecessary micromanagement.

For me I enjoyed doing a DIY project during a brief low period in usually very intense worklife. The numbers do matter too...tbh anyone paying full whack for a battery for an installer in Ireland is going to struggle to find ROI for their wallet or the planet, as the feed in tarrif is high in Ireland and so surplus solar power going to the grid isn't a bad thing if it's being paid at 20-22cent, and it is monitored by a smart meter so paid for actual not assumed surplus (as per dumb meter process)/.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Great write up. I thought the solis issue was sorted by someone on thread. I just cant justify the inconvenience of that alarm if it isnt. I bought 5kw battery when it was cheap. Really need 10 or even 15 for winter... But just not worth it for the hassle. Imho

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Seplos BMS talks to Solis inverter just fine when using the correct seplos firmware

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

still maxxed at 2.2KW charging for battery. I am sure this is a recent limit and can not see what has changed on BMS or on the solis inverter. I am both losing KWs to the grid and delaying getting my immersion turned on in sunny weather. I am sure the battery was charging faster in the first 6 months

😎

Can't see the JK BMS at fault there, but you could just temporarily bypass it by connecting the Solis directly to the battery terminals. If still only 2.2kW charging (while you are exporting), the Solis is at fault. Good luck with the warranty claim, it will likely take several months but you should get a replacement eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It shouldnt be the solis, I've charged at 5kW on mine (it derates to 4kW or so after a bit depending on ambient temp). I wonder is there a setting.

• Advertisement

So my diy battery not charging at more than 2.2kw. Solis got back to me within a few hours and did a firmware update remotely.

its been pouring rain since so no opportunity to see large excess and where it was going

😎

Advertisement