Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

By whom? Nobody in this country. Nobody who wore the uniform. By foreign collectors who think Europe is one country and Ireland is just off the coast of Maine, maybe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, to quote the Irish Times article on the matter... https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/07/20/irelands-defence-forces-to-get-new-us-style-camouflage-uniforms/

"The current camouflage uniforms, which are unique to the Defence Forces and are sometimes lightheartedly referred to as “Paddyflage” by other militaries, will be phased out over the coming years."

Consider. The term is well familiar to me in Texas, and I like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of Irish geography, even without being a collector

Thats because, of have you forgotten, you are Irish. You have been conditioned to the culture of foreign lands. 😉

Its another Irish trope that's on the same level as we all eat corned beef and cabbage, we all drink alcohol and can sing & dance, and everyone wears green on St Pattys day. (aargh)

Nobody in Ireland who wore the uniform, who has respect for the organisation, calls it "Paddyflage". Even the mere discussion of using the word grates.

IPDPM. Thats what WE call it.

Ok. But that doesn't make the article wrong or poorly researched. Like it or not, it is a name associated with the pattern. May as well complain about an article from 1943 calling the US tanks "Shermans". Only foreigners and reporters called it that, to an American soldier it was the M4 or Medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

IPDPM, really rolls off the tongue.

I don't know why this annoys you so much, military kit has a long history of contractions and colloquialisms.

HMMWV - Hum-vee - Hummer.

UH-1 - Huey

OH-6 - Loach

B-52 Stratofortress - Big Ugly Fat F*cker

Camouflage worn by Irish DF - Paddyflage.

• Advertisement

But it isn't a name associated with the pattern. that's my point. I wore it long enough, never heard anyone else who wore it call it that.

Or calling a Mowag Piranha or Panhard (AML or M3) a Tank.

Or a green painted Land Rover, Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero a Jeep.

And another thing! Media calling any member of the naval service (usually in court long after their short service ended) an Officer, regardless of rank.

Its like calling the Steyr AUG a Gun.

Only you think so. Don't be so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'd have to agree with Dohvolle, in 15 years I've never heard anyone wearing it call it paddyflage.

And in 20 years driving large American vehicles, I have never heard anyone driving one refer to it as a Yank Tank. Yet there is very little confusion over what they are when you use the term in appropriate conversation. Even the term “Yank” is used by everyone except the Yanks. Does that mean that an article which refers to Americans as Yanks or a Lincoln Continental as a yank tank is poorly researched?

The term exists and is in common use. The lack of use of the term by the users doesn’t invalidate the statement, and the fact that I refer to the pattern as “Irish DPM” and have never personally used the term “Paddyflage” doesn’t preclude me from accepting that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

This feels like a circular argument by people bored on the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hang on ...is the Steyr not a Gun? What is it?

Isn't a rifle a "rifled" gun

Armee Universal Gewehr. Army Universal Rifle. If as some terrible instructors suggest it was a gun then the name would be AUW. Armee-Universal Waffe.

But its not.

Again, nobody who has trained with one has called it a gun. If they did, they have long strong arms now.

A lot of waffle it certainly is lol.

Paddyflage is a new one on me. But googling it gets results going back back quite a while.

Waffe means 'weapon', no? Indeed, stick 'gewehr' into Google Translate from German and it comes out as... gun.

It seems to me a rifle is a type of gun. Gun being the overarching name, the subset of weapons which propels by expansive force (Railguns don't really fit into this, in fairness), then you have gun divided into pieces and firearms, then the firearms are crew served or individual, the individual being handguns (Revolvers and pistols, mainly) and long guns, the latter being shotguns, and rifles. Rifles themselves also being a term used for pieces (eg USS Iowa had 16-inch rifles) so in itself a bit of a matter of common usage. In fairness, handgun itself used to refer to long-barreled weapons as well, to distinguish them from the towed guns of the era, though it's no longer a common usage. And then there are the subsets of rifle, battle rifle, assault rifle, etc.

So it's all a bit of a silly argument.

As an aside, the oldest usage of 'paddyflauge' on Boards.ie is 2007. "Paddyflage" is 2008.

• Advertisement

Preciousssssssssssssssss

This thread is poorly named.

Changing subject...since some seem to be digging a hole for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mupper2

Oh goodie, because we're going to need a U-Navy before long, maybe XOcean can fix us up.

Unmanned everything is pretty much the common-sense next step for many sectors. As an aside, a self-driving vehicle managed to complete an off-road course faster than a manned one for the first time about a month ago. The difference was that the AI driver didn't care about any cargo or crew, so it took obstacles at full belt where the human driver would slow down to minimize the impact. So they're still working on that...

After a determined effort, I have finally finished all four days of the Consultative Forum. The panels by the historians and the four other European countries were particularly interesting.

However, the audience, Christ. It’s like Sinn Feinn and Peace and Neutrality had nothing else to do and showed up while everyone else was at work. And instead of posing sensible relevant questions, they sucked up time with irrelevant position statements, oftentimes divorced from reality. (Norway blew up Nordstream? Really?). Or TD McCarthy kept taking the floor saying the same bloody thing every day.

Oh well, was still informative. I wonder what the actual viewer numbers are, though, the DFA YouTube hit counters are the low four-digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I think newstalk may have read the press release from the department wrong. I dont think irish troops are going to Ukraine but rather a fellow EU nation to train ukraine?

To be fair, the press release does not specify where the training is to take place. But, any cursory background reading by a correspondent or researcher would quickly reveal that EUMAM operations only happen in on EU territory, in Poland, Germany, Romania and so on.

Piss poor journalism as usual when it comes to foreign and defence matters in Ireland. Why it didn't occur to some online editor that it may have been a slightly larger story if DF personnel were indeed being deployed to wartorn Ukraine, I do not know.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Advertisement