Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Another sponging question for those in the know please..if I sponge a grand total of 10 ewes consisting of 5 hoggets and 5 2/3 year olds..do I still need to introduce the ram to the hoggets 12 hours ahead of the rest or would it be ok to let him at them all when number is small? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Would hogget ewes that haven’t had a lamb yet come into season yet naturally for the ram or is it still abit to early? Llynn hogget ewes .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Who2

I hope they do, I’m putting the ram out next week to both hoggets and ewes, I have kept them on tight grass for a while and moved them onto good grass last week so fingers crossed. It’s my first year back at sheep in years so it’s a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Far from.an expert but I'd say its too early ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Suits with work and before the cows start calving . These were a few sheep that were bought for the kids but have kinda got out of hand a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

what's the pmsg dosage rate at this time of the year ,I was going with 2ml , would that be enough ?

a bottle contains 25ml so should do 12 sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

No experience at all of sponging here,out of interest do many people do it with commercial flocks?'.........or is it mainly Pedigree Breeders that do it?

If you were sponging 50 mature ewes how many rams would you need to put in with them when they are cycling?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

I'm new to this but from what I know max 15 ewes ,someone could correct me here ,you could stagger the sponge removal ,say take 12 out day 12 , the rest day 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

1 ram per 8 ewes,1-1.5ml of pmsg per ewe. Cost €5-€7 per ewe.Dont over dose with pmsg or you will get too many ewes with 3s and 4s

Im fairly new to sheep and was going to go to blessington to the Suffolk premier. Now what’s confusing me is Theres another premier sale in roscrea on the same day. What’s the story with what looks like two different society sales in two different marts for the same breed on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

2 different societies, a byproduct of brexit I'd say.

The new Irish society http://irishsuffolksheepcompany.com/events/

the original UK society Southern Ireland branch

https://www.irishsuffolksheep.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Can you dose lambs with a wormer and a mineral drench one after the other or do you never do the two on the one day? Don’t want to mix them together into one drench but would give them the two drench’s separately but one after the other .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Split in the camp pre brexit and not a good idea two sales on the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone else yet to Shear? Might be doing mine tomorrow if this evening and tonight stays dry. Fleeces are dirty due to the bad weather. Not much can be done I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Split47

Would you shear ewe lambs that are going to be outwintered? I see your man on youtube the 'sheepgame' shears his ewe lambs he keeps for hoggets, reckons they thrive better,

also would they need to be vaccinated? Going to dip and dose them soon anyway, will probably bolus them instead of giving them any mineral drenches, there was a lot of scab about last year so a good dipping should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Packrat

Why wouldn't you shear them now?

Just another job setting up the shears to do them in September.

This way they have a nice bit on for the winter without going in the briars as they would if not done at all.

I was freeing about 6 a day from briars in 2016. None since then because I shore them.

One year i was too busy in September and they escaped me until Christmas when I did them with a handshears. 43 of the baztards. Absolute murder that I won't ever repeat.

Now they get done in July when the ewes are getting done and that's an end to it. If you change your mind, they'll sell better shorn anyway.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Split47

Think I'll get them sheared then, as soon as the weather dries up a bit. One thing about sheep no matter what variety of them you keep, there is always something to do with them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

any Recommendation for tags for lambs? I’m currently using Cormac wrap around ones but I find the point doesn’t always pierce the ear, causing it to bend and then it’s no use

I found that too with their small coloured tags that I put on lambs at 2 days old. Their bigger tags are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'm surprised they are still selling them tags, there has been numerous complaints about them online and elsewhere , we modified the tagger a bit and found putting the tag up from the bottom of the ear helped

didn't re order once the batch we was used up

I did mention it to them at the ploughing last year and they did say they had issues. I am just coming to the end of my last batch of tags now so time to reorder. What tags do you use now?

Ya can’t fault their big permanent tags to be fair but it’s fairly frustrating using their temporary wrap around tags

I think the tagger for the wrap around tags is a bit of a balls of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

The mulinahone bubblegum tags are far better quality wrap around tags than the Cormac ones

Yep big time. In fairness they gave me a new tagger at the ploughing which did improve things a bit as the one I had (which was bought new not long before) kept getting loose and out of line.

• Advertisement

I had to cut out Cormack wrap around tags in some ewe lambs today as they had got infected, I wouldn’t recommend them at all, I’ll be going back to mullinahone for the sheep tags.

Advertisement