Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They're more interested in clinging to a childish narrative than anything else. Facts and truth be damned, never mind proof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As always.

I'm convinced that for the government, this is about preventing private banks from withdrawing their services no matter what. They've already banned protests and they're on the way out so it makes sense they're going to enact more authoritarian measures to ensure their continued access to privileges.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The people's revolt gathers pace, Farage is looking to build a campaign of solidarity around all the people who have been denied banking because of their politics, organizing in the community or workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You think Nige gives a hoot about the "people's"? 😂

He is going to grift this to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is that what he told you?

God, you're gullible!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other though??

Farages "crusade" is about a thing that doesn't actually happen for a start and the things talked about in the Guardian article have absolutely nothing to do with anything that Farage has talked about.

And Farage doesn't care either - All he wants is for the PEP and Money Laundering rules to be watered down because somehow that's the problem.

Making it easier for bribery and for drug dealers to move their cash - Yeah , that'll really help the homeless guy without a permanent address get a bank account.

LOL...

The "people".

🤣

But it's simply untrue.

Take a look at Sky News Top Stories.

There are currently thirty top news stories on the app.

Farage isn't mentioned once.

Climate and European heatwave is the top story and a live rolling latest news slot in fourth.

Ian Dunt is making things up. In fact, maybe Dunt is the one obsessed with Farage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Seen as Natwest felt comfortable enough to offer an account to Farage it will be interesting to see what reasons these 10 other banks who refused him disclose. They can't really use a mortgage or being on Putin's payroll as an excuse for turning him down.

It would not be a surprise if Coutts fired off it's report to all the other banks as well given what's come out already. Tip of iceburg considering all those reports should be coming back in the next fortnight and now they have a big platform all set up to release everything.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Shoog

.. private millionaire's banks can choose who they give their custom to. Why is that so hard to grasp.

All rich banks can decide that Farage is unsavoury and there is not a damn thing he can do about it.

Meanwhile will he be had for insider trading ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You didn’t hear much about the Ethiopian war that left an estimated 1.4 million dead because it happened during the Ukrainian conflict. I bet you didn’t see many Ethiopian flags on Twitter either as it was not the cause de-jour. It’s funny how people make these realisations when the story doesn’t suit their own narrative. However a CEO leaking a false story to the press about a client for what seem to be ideological reasons is newsworthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We don't hear about it because the racist, rightist press can't sell itself on it. I've no idea what this has to do with Nigel Farage.

He's a grifter who's lost his post twat privileges with a posh bank. It doesn't deserve anywhere near this amount of time. Your cynical whataboutery argument does not change this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do you think that Farage went to his local bank branch and asked for a regular old Current account and debit card?

The 10 other banks turned him down for the same type of services that Coutts were giving him.

Once again - HE WAS NOT DE-BANKED.

He was told he no longer qualified for special VIP account status as a result of his lack of funds and his controversial public profile.

The 10 other banks turned him down for the same type of services that Coutts were giving him.

Do you have a source of evidence for this assertion?

As always , the man himself - He specifically talks about the fact that he was looking for enhanced banking services in several of his multitude of posts about this travesty of injustice meted out to a poor old regular guy like him..

From what I heard from the same footage, is that Farage was seeking banking services related to his business which were denied with the offered NatWest account. I certainly haven't seen any evidence to date that Farage is seeking "the same type of services that Coutts were giving him", and second to that, that this must be the reason why the banks are rejecting him -- and not due to some other reason. That's quite a burden of proof to bear.

So I re-ask the question, can you provide a source of evidence for this assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Looks at thread title ....

Reads thread ....

Thinks " Farage hatred is real !! " ......

Thinks " What if the shoe was on the other foot ? " ......

Moves on with a sigh .........🙄

What had the Greek wildfires you brought up got to do with this news story? Are you saying all the press is right wing?

Again the CEO leaked a false story to the press about a client. That is news. The fact his political opinions were mentioned on the file they have on him is beyond strange, what has his position on trans rights got to do with anything or of any business of bank?

• Advertisement

It's a significant news story because it has shone a light on less prominent people, ordinary members of the public, who also had their bank account closed without a stated reason. More and more people are coming forward with the same report. There's now a NatWest account closure Facebook group with over 20,000 members.

Richard Tice of Reform UK said he was rejected a bank account, too. I believe he even said that one of his accounts was closed. Other Brexit Party MEPs and their families have come forward to say that they had their bank accounts closed, too.

This idea that the story is only Farage is to miss the much bigger picture. It's not about a privileged bank; it's about all banks committing the same offense against some of their clients based on their personal and political beliefs.

It's appalling. Everyone should be against it (but some aren't, purely because of a fanatical hatred of Farage).

My point was that some grifter doesn't deserve this much airtime while there are actual newsworthy stories being ignored. This was obvious and it was a problem before the revelations about Rose and the BBC.

I see the deranged hatred of trans people has reared its vile head once again.

I don’t think trans people should be unbanked either. It’s just a bizarre thing to note on his file.

The real meat of this story is the CEO leaking false information about a client but it highlighted the issues with the banking sector and its new ideological drive. Which is itself unethical.

My understanding is that NatWest have offered Farage a basic account, which they are required by law to provide to any UK resident unless there are money-laundering or financing of terrorism concerns. Farage has reportedly rejected this offer; presumably he wants an account which, if not quite as fully-serviced as Coutts, is something more than a basic account. (At a guess, he wants an account that will provide him with a chequebook and/or some level of credit.)

The other banks rejected an application from Farage which, presumably, was again an application for something more than a basic account. If he had applied for a basic account it's likely that he would have got it, since all the major banks in the UK are under the same obligation to provide basic accounts to any UK resident.

Farage can make a subject access request to the banks that have declined his application to see what data they hold on him, but because he is not a customer it's likely that they hold much less data than Coutts did. There'll be a record of his application and a record of the rejection and, possibly, a statement in extremely general terms of the reason for the rejection (which, Farage has already said, is because the banks considered that he was a PEP). I wouldn't assume there'd be any more data than that.

Who else will bother with this but someone like Farage.

Labour won't touch it, it would descend in to one group of activists calling for nationalization, another group going on about hook nosed bankers, another saying what about the homeless and on and on.

Nothing would be done, just as they like it.

It's totally bizarre.

I don't think many people understand the scale of what the dossier into Farage included.

The 40-page dossier reflects on Farage's opinions on the following topics:

• gay marriage
    • trans issues
    • climate change / net zero
    • controlling immigration levels
    • migrant crossings across the English channel
    • Black Lives Matter
    • gender pay gap
    • Donald Trump
    • meeting Novak Djokovic
    • his comments on a Ricky Gervais joke
    • his comments on Prince Charles
    • Brexit

The bank didn't spend 40-pages talking about economic criteria and commercial viability. That was merely a footnote when compared to the overwhelming amount of time invested discussing his personal and political views (including incessant references to Tweets he published).

But remember -- his "political views had nothing to do with the decision to de-bank Farage", according to some. Right.

That banks are compiling dossiers on people's views, and then using that to form a basis upon which to de-bank anyone -- whether Farage or not -- should be a concern to most people.

Where is the evidence that any of the other closures were related to the customers' "personal and political beliefs"?

For the hundred and fifty-seventh time, there was no "decision to de-bank Farage".

Your inability to talk about the this issue without persistently misrepresenting it, even after the truth has been pointed out to you many times, creates an impression which is almost certainly not the one you are aiming for . You might want to think about this.

Other than speaking publicly about the list of things above , what does Nigel Farage do to earn a living???

A review of Nigel Farages Financial viability will by its nature contain details of the things he does to earn money.

And he earns money by vocalising Right-wing talking points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Shoog

... and none of them will be in the same boat as Farage. I would estimate that most will be because of bad credit histories and various defaults. I guarantee that none of them will be because of their politics.

Advertisement