Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Alas probably true instead of drastic cuts and redundancies - but this is the way of RTE, run to the government for a bailout because you know we're the predominant station in Ireland and everyone loves us and what would they do without Fair City and Eastenders to watch of an evening, and Liveline is the voice of Joe Duffy Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well how many of the general public want RTE bailed out by the government without any preconditions?

I know its what RTE wants but is it what RTE will get?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well you're saying mass boycott of the licence fee will hasten this outcome, unless I've picked you up wrong.😕

So yes I'm entirely certain RTE will get a bailout in the near future, probably not entirely without preconditions, but it will be impossible to determine the proposed reforms are taking effect before the bill falls due...

Well I think we will see an increase in a boycott of the licence fee but not sure if it will be a mass boycott as what percentage of non payment is a mass boycott?

The problem for RTE is they need a bailout within the next 4 weeks and preconditions may not be an option.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The problem for RTE is they need a bailout within the next 4 weeks and preconditions may not br an option.

Well this what I'm saying. Bakhurst will now doubt make broad commitments to mend RTE's ways to secure maximum feasible bailout but I doubt there's time to draw up a detailed action plan with measurable outcomes before RTE gets into severe financial difficulty

• Advertisement

Well what KB should do now is get rid of NKM and his influence in RTE wages and programming. That would be a start as would getting rid of RT but I doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

The only nothingburger about RTÉ turns out to be Kevin Bakhurst.

That free state podcast is savage 😂😂 “I love your county “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

True, but a revenue collection style tax was on the way anyway.The mass revolt by license payers will probably hasten this but it also means Tubridy can never go back,he is the face of this.Obviously neither can NK but I think thats part is a given now no matter how this plays out

All things considered I'd nearly take that.

There may (for a couple of years anyway) be a spotlight on RTE and their antics as there will be a bad taste in the mouth after all this.That will be compounded by a tax coming out at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Kathryn Thomas gets the Rose of Tralee job now (joint host). Jokeshop. Maybe she can tell the roses if they are carrying too much weight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭RoTelly

IMO this will be how it will work.

Those that are refusing to pay will encourage others to decide not to pay, it will simple be a case of "Why should I pay when the scroungers aren't paying", along with years of dissatisfaction with the service provided by RTÉ. (Something RTÉ will deny exists).

The government will pay in the interim for RTÉ as they suggested they would following the Future of Media's report. I don't think they will look for actual real change in the organisation, it will be a blank cheque.

The government will then discuss the introduction of a household charge or a charge on home entertainment or something like this. They will come to the conclusion that with the mass failure of people to pay the licence fee that they will continue to pay through direct taxation/the exchequer.

None of this will result in a better RTÉ, bur largely more of the same.

It's a nothing burger if you want to make it a nothing burger.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

BTW the only and only real constructive issue dealt with by the Future of Media commission was their work on the licence fee, which really was just to move it from the licence fee to the exchequre/household charge.

The rest of it was massively academic.

______

Yesterday

Yes,I'm agreeing with you.

In a way RTE wins but there will have to be sacrificial lambs,obviously NK is gone and Tubridy is the face of this whole thing so he has to go.

It's a very convoluted and expensive way that eventually got this fraud but hopefully at least some good will come of it.

Also the bailout of Rte will probably go on for a few years or maybe a decade.The first government to introduce a charge at source will not be popular, it'll be continually kicked down the road.

Rte remains a shambles and is even less accountable.

However looking at this selfishly that's NK and Tubs out the door and I still don't pay RTE a penny for the foreseeable.

Ps,when Tubs is gone,the license fee has collapsed and a bailout needed you'll still have all three members of the Nothing Burgers waving their hands about like Comical Ali as the tanks rolled over the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This clip below is it in a nutshell. She asks a question, makes Tubridy uncomfortable, he tries to talk over her, then tries to drown her out with laughing, then just gets rid of her.

There's everything there in 60 seconds; she's gone off script, she won't shut up, he's lost control, he gets panicky, then aggressive and pushes one of our true A-listers off the stage.

What pissed him as well is that the audience backed her up. And the interview is being cut short as the director isn't ready to cut to the ads. Or the RTE staff just decided to piss him off.

It shows how useless he is at the job and why, just on merit alone, he should never be let near a microphone again.

Look up his interview with Marion Cotillard for another example like this. Or the interview with Jamie-Lee O'Donnell a few months ago. No spontaneity.

On a tangent and I don't want to digress, if ye get the chance then listen to John Creedons show last night. Class.

This is the problem we still pay for RTÉ, and its shambles will continue for a decade. We are just pay from our taxes.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was going to post this yesterday.

Everything about the man summed up in a few seconds.

• He was able to show a tad of spontaneity for a second there because he liked her, but the. It was awkward cut to ad break.

Jonah Hill asking Tubs “are you nervous?”.

Check out this comment from as astute viewer…..9 years ago:

Lots of other comments on the awkwardness of Tubs in that interview.

Hard to beat this though for awkward:

Tubs sh*tting himself from early on in the interview as to where this could go. Some priceless moments in there including the origin of the DLB monicker.

The last few minutes are pure cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I also think he had little respect for women in general.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

unfortunatly we'll be paying for this no matter what...maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea for rte to go broke,bring in the receivers and do a proper clear out,get rid of the crap both at manager/executive/board level and bring in new fresh people who will actually make something we might want to watch...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem is that the arrogance and contempt RTE have for the public is merely a symptom of the fact that so much of RTE's funding is (up until very recently) pretty much guaranteed. Technically you could withdraw funding from them but this also meant not having a device with a TV tuner, and getting rid of that, most people would regard as rather drastic. The tiny bit of regard they did have for the public was due to the fact that this option nevertheless existed though it was rarely exercised.

Taking away the right to individually walk away from financially supporting RTE will remove the little bit of accountability they still have and the sorts of excesses that led to the current scandal will reemerge. Only the next time they won't be too bothered about it as the public will be forced to fund them regardless of what RTE do. Look at the excesses and fuckúps in the HSE and no resignations.

I don't care much for RT and will be glad to see the back of him if he goes; that's the one good thing about this current RTE fiasco. But I would like to see long lasting change rather than the temporary measures put in to placate the public while long term accountability is removed.

That is why I think the licence fee should be changed to "RTE subscription", i.e. make it more focused on RTE. You should not have to pay money simply to own a television. Licences are for situations where something can be misused or numbers need to be controlled. For example if you misuse your car, your license may be revoked. A TV does not fall in to any of those categories.

If the funding is for RTE then it should be tied to RTE viewing. If you don't like what RTE is doing then you are free to cancel your subscription. Conversely, if you don't pay your subscription then you can't access RTE. This solves the problem of evasion that RTE complain about.

Such a subscription model would mean that talent would only be paid what they are worth since otherwise subscribers would be lost. It would need to be made clear that if RTE does anything that causes subscribers to cancel, they must handle the lack of funds themselves by making appropriate cutbacks. Make RTE stand on their own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

What’s this “we” business?

There’s hundreds of thousands of people wanting to watch RTE daily.

Dig deeper on that one caller…..you might be surprised at what you find.

@ButtersSuki Am I the only one who just can't get though interviews he gives.

He gives Tim deniability and then "no he was there" and then "I am his mule" ... "God I hope your joking" ....

Talking about the socks, and I stopped after are you nervous.

That's as afar as I got with both interviews.

______

Yesterday

Do the last two mins of the Rhys Ifans video….I promise you it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was a tribute to Sinead O'Connor. Well worth a listen even if you're not a big fans of hers. Very well done and handled well by one of RTE's best broadcasters.

As I said, I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but it's worth a mention on the basis of how important she was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Whilst it mightn't be to everybodies taste The Rose of Tralee has been fairly consistent with the last few years with Dáithí Ó Sé but for some reason they needed to add Kathryn Thomas to the mix.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

This might have been posted already, but I saw it via twitter.

Joe Brolly on Tubridy.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/brolly-tubridy-kids-show-rte-30541219

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement