Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Are we seriously letting someone suggest “enhancers” are being taken, without a single shrewd of evidence to back it up , just go unchecked?

it’s not just talk, it’s nonsense. And it’s fairly close to defamatory

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ttowncat

So are all but 4 of the Limerick panel on inhalers? Can any of the Limerick posters answer that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

is there anything concrete behind this other than the same stuff that was said about the dubs/liverpool/city/numerpous nfl teams?

are there members of every single sports team in the country who have asthma? almost certainly.

number speculation is, once again, needless nonsense. As it making it out to be anymore than that

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannymole22

No but I can confirm they are just off a 4 day bender after winning their 4th All Ireland in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

Puckouts in the second half were an issue again, with Murphy going long when shorter options were available. From what I've seen of Darren Brennan his puckouts seem to be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

His post, taken in isolation and not aimed at any particular county, is perfectly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Well this is all entirely normal.

Re the puckouts on Sunday this is good piece on how Limerick squeezed us against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

If I can just concentrate on the throwing aspect of your post and ignore the stuff that is irrelevant to it such as how good Limerick are, what Martin Fogarty's views on how the game should be played are, the possession game etc., since they have been discussed to death here over the last few years; almost everyone acknowledges Limerick are a great team, that it is not their fault that their systematic rule breaking when it comes to handpass is not being penalized, everyone understands the reason for the possession based approach in the modern game and that it is not going away any time soon

Yes, as I have written here before, most of Limerick handpasses are throws and with respect your opinion that Limerick tend to only throw the ball because they are being fouled, it does not stand up to any sort of scrutiny, they frequently throw it when not being fouled, they throw it because it brings advantage. Stating that "they move the ball cleverly" is a kinder way of stating that Limerick systematically use the throw in tight situations because it is the easiest, least risky way of keeping possession. It requires little skill, it often catches an opponent expecting a legal handpass unaware, it increases accuracy, reduces variables for the recipient and helps achieve this state where "Virtually no ball is wasted"

Limerick's throwing in last years all ireland was something to behold, yet there wasn't much talk about it afterwards but during and after this year's final there seems to be more discussion happening because the throwin is the most blatant we've seen. For example, Mike Casey set up a point by taking three Kilkenny players who stood him up out of the game by throwing the ball, overhand, over their heads to a team mate like a lad returning a stray tennis ball over the fence into his neighbours garden, it was farcical to see, and it is not the first time we've seen it this year. Unbelievably they have gone unpenalized for throwing in two all-irelands in a row and if I am not mistaken were not penalized even once in the 2023 champshipship for throwing; something is rotten in the state of Denmark

In short, I have no problem with Limerick being good at moving the ball quickly as you allude to above, I have a problem with the fact that they primarily use the unpenalized throw to do so when in tight spaces. It is a scourge on the game now as more and more teams have given up the legal handpass trying to emulate Limerick's way of playing. 

Throwing the ball should be unnatural to a hurler yet it is rampant and it is mostly ignored, masked by terms such as "pop-passes", "working a triangle", "working it out into space", "quick hands" etc. 

Your original post claimed that there is little advantage to the throw, the fact that it is everywhere now shows you that this is incorrect. Anyway, I won't reply again since this discussion probably belongs in another thread to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

"Yes, as I have written here before, most of Limerick handpasses are throws..."

I stopped reading there: that's just simply not true.

Over and out.

• Advertisement

Good alright, Limerick cleverly played to the elements but nothing revolutionary either; anyone at the Clare game could see we had unprecedented space at times to work the ball out and it was unlikely Limerick would give us the same, so presumably Kilkenny knew this but still couldn't deal with it on the day.

So, in hindsight, what should we have done in the second half when Limerick stepped up further?

Maybe brought an additional body to the full back line for our puck outsto try to free up space to pass into further up the field if player is followed, or to get possession in some sort of space if not followed and then try to work it out a bit shorter? Not something you can immediately perform without practice on a high pressure stage in miserable conditions unfortunately 

Post edited by Freneys Treasure on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Excellent post. What will really disgust me is if the GAA convene a special congress to discuss the new hand pass and steps when they sat back during the championship and allowed refs to ignore the blatant carry on. If they do convene a meeting it's an admission that it is a problem and rules were broken.

If prefer at this stage that they do nothing and let every county adopt the new hand pass from the start of next year. There ought to be great craic.

Is it true that Limerick were on a five day training camp last week in the build up to the Final? I don't believe they were but it is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"new hand pass" ??? - its a throw .....

Limerick also had cameras in the upper deck of the Hogan for their analysts during the final.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm assuming since the new hand pass is deemed legitimate by the officials then it's not a throw!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I dont know if it's true but there is no question Limerick are (by a big distance) the best resourced hurling county (and possibly even the best resourced county in all GAA)

One of the biggest names in GAA told me at a dinner a few years ago "with the likely exception of Kilkenny, no small/medium sized county with only modest financial muscle will win an AI football or hurling in the next 20 years".

The playing field has been unequal now for at least 20 years, but it has now become a chasm, and that is sad. It kills the dream of glory for so many.

40 years ago Adam Screeney could realistically aspire to playing in senior AI finals. Now? Close to impossible to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Aren't we lucky we don't have to spend any real money on a senior,under 20 or minor football teams or development squads for footballers as well.

Look at the fools in some of our rival counties, tipp, Wexford, Waterford, Limerick, Clare and even cork wasting money on promotion of football and fielding intercounty football teams when they could just concentrate on the one code like us. And plough all their resources into that one code.

Some might say we have an unfair advantage.

Others might say it is unfair and against the spirit of why the gaa was created, what we are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

That's because Offaly are shite. Go back 60 years and they were also shite. Nowadays he's got the pat McDonagh curry cheese chip cup look forward to playing in.

We spend more on football than a host of counties spend on hurling (also, when was the last time Cavan appeared in back to back junior hurling finals?) so let's not go down that rabbit hole. If you prefer, we can just confine it to hurling, I all but guarantee you Limerick's budget in 2023 on hurling will be at least three times that of Kilkenny (and probably 8-10 times that of Westmeath and Antrim).

Sooner or later the GAA will have to look at some sort of structure that caps funding or maybe some form of fairer distribution that doesnt allow this sort of vast financial disparity between teams, in a supposedly amateur sport.

The football championship is now between max 5 contenders (and realistically two). All 5 (Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Galway) are big counties with big financial muscle.

One might argue there is currently just one contender in hurling, but at best there are six, and that could dwindle to 4 or 5 (I feel when this Clare team breaks up, it may struggle, and KK are no certs to remain perennial contenders, sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

First up the junior football championship is an absolute joke of a championship. Two matches played over the space of 3 days this year. A box ticking exercise is all it is. Would you say they start training in January for it. I doubt it. A few training sessions is all they probably do.

You mention cavan hurlers. They like every other county in a similar situation at least spend some money on their intercounty hurling teams. They take part in the league from January on and then in a proper championship. Cavan/Donegal/Tyrone, etc would spend at least 10 times more on their adult intercounty hurling teams than we do on our football teams. And on top of that these counties have hurling development squads for hurling underage, field minor hurling intercounty teams and under 20 hurling intercounty teams. So there spend on promoting hurling, while is not as much as I or you would like it to be is huge when compared to our spend on football.

I would love to know where you are getting the figures for Limerick hurlers spending 3 times as much as Kilkenny. I highly doubt it.

Finally could you imagine we were unlucky enough to get Davy Fitz as manager. He bring a backroom of about 50 and cost the county board a fortune. Would it lead to more success. I highly doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

No, they were 100% not on a 5 day training camp last week. It'll shock a few posters here (not referencing you specifically, just quoting you since you mentioned it) but the reason Limerick beat Kilkenny last Sunday is that we have a much better team and squad than Kilkenny at the moment. The majority of Kilkenny folks (on here and at the match) have been gracious and accepted the loss but a few of ye have indulged in gutter talk with asthma, finances, etc being brought up. Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork are just amazing, hurlers growing on trees but once another county gets to the top the shite talk of cheating and doping and all this comes out... Take yer beating lads. You'll only win when you're good enough to do so, you've no right to anything.

Limerick GAA spent 2.3m training their teams last year, most of that spent on their senior hurling team, and that figure presumably doesnt include the JP loot and team holiday fund. A training week away abroad for full panel and back room teams would see you down 100k alone.

Last figure I saw for Cody era was about 700k (for all teams). For that reason alone (ie we simply cant afford it), we will (hopefully) forever be spared the hiring of a Davy Fitz type mega bucks set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This thread man.... Chaos

I never suggested cheating or doping. You have the best team in Ireland, no question whatsoever. But part of the reason you have, is that you have the most advanced set up and back room, backed by massive financial muscle. It's a perfect storm of a great group of players most of whom are at a similar peak playing age (26-29), coached and conditioned to a leval other counties simply cannot match, backed to the hilt and wanting for nothing in terms of resources. A juggernaut.

And probably the most exciting young hurler in the country should look forward to spending the next 15 years doing that? Seriously? Maybe a kit bag and a few pair of socks thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Can you tell me when was it anyway different regarding how many teams could win the hurling or football championship??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

They were pretty well matched in Munster. But won the AI with their best player in Munster (Morrissey) way below par & Flanagan useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Kilkenny are an amazing hurling county as are tipp cork galway Waterford etc is it really plausible that there isn't one wealthy individual that would support their hurling team? Jp is a billionaire but surely he's not spending millions on the team?

In short there's wealthy individuals in Every county but there may not be superb hurlers or footballers the money helps but isn't the be all and end all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

. Jesus Christ I find myself deleting things just to avoid having any follow up conversation with idiots very often on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

A very charitable term. Fcukin hell, between the "drop these ten players and replace them with this one journeyman I know" posts, the accusations of doping, people claiming money doesn't matter, and the usual football bollcoks talk, it's best just to stay away this time of year.

Advertisement