Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

Like i said to you before. not need to get upset when someone doesn't agree with you. But as you say yourself that's not unexpected nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I don’t think it should be obligatory to watch at all but I think Ireland weren’t as bad as many make out and them appearing is very positive for young girls , great role models

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

GROUP E

USA v Netherlands drew earlier so they’re both on 4 points. Portugal currently beating Vietnam and as it stands have 3 points.

Netherlands taking on Vietnam in their last game next Tuesday and it’s pretty much a given that they’ll win and go through. The interesting game will be Portugal v USA as both have a chance of going through. I’ll be watching that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd like the womens team to get more coverage going forward.

I feel like the embarassment of a rugby team got more coverage but the football team are far better than they get credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We give defeated, 'dumped out' mens teams civic receptions and the open top bus treatment FFS.

And if you trawled newspaper front pages you would find similar to that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But we haven't.

There was a huge reception for the Euro 88 team that arrived at their first ever major tournament unfancied but came back with a win v England, a draw v the USSR and it was only a late Dutch goal that stopped them going to the Semi Finals.

There was a huge reception for Italia '90, first time at a world cup and getting to a quarter final.

In the Phoenix Park there was a reception for the team that lost a last 16 game in USA '94 , but that was then and now seen as an embarrassing event for all involved.

I don't know about 2002 but there certainly wasn't anything of note for 2012 or 2016.

They didn't win anything but you would have thought we had. Many felt that was embarassing not least some of the players Keane etc. Jack was bewildered by it all.

We also heard the same narrative...'we have arrived' 'up where we belong' etc. We had by huge volumes more - 'hype' as well.

Not criticising it, just comparing here, there is nothing unusual historically to the way the women are being treated on achieving a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's awful crap to watch to be brutally honest. Like an u14 b boys division 6 game. I just can't get into it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

The manager has a lot to answer for here.

Whatever about the hyperbole.

International football is generally about picking players on form.

She brought (while a very gifted footballer) a player been out of the game for 6/7 years who wasn't involved in the qualifying.

There's a lot of talk how close nit this group is. That decision alone could be a sackable offence

OK now she's made the decision to bring her. She starts in the first 11 in the first game.

If you watch that first game back against Australia, pretty much everything goes down the left on the side of McCabe.

Anything coming from the defense and all kick outs etc from the keeper went to McCabe;s side. While I get McCabe is a technically gifted player it seemed to me like they were specifically choosing not to go down the side of Farrelly.

Australia adapted quickly to this and basically forced McCabe back each time.

The manager should have sorted this out in the first 15 minutes. Or at least by half time.

Eventually Farrelly was taken off. Understanable as they were not utlising the best player for whatever reason.

Once she went off. Suddenly everything went over to the right to the inexperienced 18 yo.

She brought an overweight player and played her at a crucial time in a game that ultimately sent them home

None of this makes any sense and is all on the manager to sort out from a footballing perspective or to solve the pettiness going on.

I think Vera made enough mistakes by the end of 90 minutes against Australia to show she needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I enjoyed the Ireland matches but was disappointed that every time the got away on a break the forward player seemed to be isolated and with no support. The main tactic seemed to be to play for a 0-0 against Oz and Canada. Given the rankings and results it may have worked but unfortunately it didn't and I feel that as a result it was hard to get engaged with the team.

I genuinely think the public appetite was damaged by the Vera Pauw allegations and her claiming a man would not have been treated as badly. I would think a male coach in womens football would have had to step aside in similar circumstances.

Hopefully the team can move on and up while we still have players at the top clubs but I do agree with other posters that the team needs to be open to criticism and analysis.

• Advertisement

If you like sport and competition I don't see the problem with this TBH

I don't go to a Junior B game expecting intercounty standards.

I can thoroughly enjoy the competition and sport of a Junior B match though, sometimes more than an intercounty game.

Horses for course I suppose.

On Farrelly

The Guardian rated her 5, one behind McCabe on 6

The Mirror rated her 8, one ahead of McCabe on 7

Her class was evident throughout, with touches that created space both for herself and her teammates. A lack of game-time meant she was never going to see out the 90 minutes. 8

Perhaps you are being unduly harsh?

Maybe you're not getting the point of the post.

She's probably the best player we have. I assume the ratings are for the game against Canada.

I was referring to the Irish team not using her in the game against Australia.

I've no problem with Farrelly. The issue was to point out the managers lack of action against Australia.

No, they are the ratings for the Aus game.

I think you may have exaggerated the lack of her use, when none of those rating the players seem to have picked up on it.

Vera seems to excite the same mixed and diverse opinion as Charlton did. She has a style of management that is similar IMO. Like Jack she can point to her success in getting us to these tournaments.

Co commentator on RTE2 very difficult to listen to.

Watch the game back.

If you look at the nice touches and her examples of getting out of tight spaces was generally when she was helping out her right back. e.g. in a very tight situation she did a lovely back heel to get out etc. So yes it was clear she has a great touch. Always the right body shape. It's clear she's miles ahead of the rest of the team.

When moves were starting from the back or when we got to the middle, we always looked to the left to McCabe who then had to nearly always come back.

So if the rating is on her limited ball time I agree with them.

But you also have to take into consideration that you're bringing a player in who was not part of the qualifying squad.

Out of the game for 6/7 years.

Played for USA previously etc.

Coming into whats constantly stated as a very close nit squad. It also meant someone else doesn't go for her to get into the team.

Jack can point to a hell of a lot more than qualifying.

Trap also got us qualified. Would you want to watch that dross again ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

8 hours difference between kick off times in the first and second matches tomorrow, never known a tournament to have such a inconsistent time table.

No nothing to do with that. RTE have a habit of poor co commentators. Stephen Kelly, Kenny Cunningham and this one now.

You are projecting I think.

Nobody has expressed discontent with the manager. Maybe in a few years we will get the whole story and then you can back up the contention.

What I see at the moment is a very committed group and great team spirit. That's down to a manager to a large degree as well.

If you are saying Jack didn't excite differing opinions on his management then I think you are totally wrong and leave it at that. Not the thread for a debate on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Nigeria take the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Your comparison is idiotic. Any homecoming the men received did not come after they were dumped out of the tournament after two embarrassing performances, cringeworthy or not is irrelevant, going on to win the whole thing is irrelevant, they progressed on the biggest stage. This much has already been pointed out to you already. Furthermore, you will not find a single front page headline which is similar to the one I showed you where some journo lauds that they “belong on the world stage” the same day they are unceremoniously and embarrassingly dumped out of a tournament after just two games, with an own goal to boot. You don’t even realise that you are doing the team an injustice by claiming this was some sort of success on any level, it wasn’t, it was abject failure.

What a goal by the way, beautiful flick, a deft touch you might say…. just the wrong net.

Defender made a bollox of that, great finish at a tight angle, 3-1 to Nigeria.

You might need to take a chill pill, dude. Lot of anger simmering away in that post.

You are just being derogatory.

They were up against two of the best teams and any pundits I have read have seen the positives and the negatives.

You can assess that they are 'where they belong', because they weren't beaten by much and put up a decent challenge ahead of expectations.

You can of course be Joe Negative and mock a bit of bad luck and use terms like 'dumped out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

maybe you should worry about possession stats.... this is the reason we looked knackered after half time!! Canada actually worked a few decent chances and got in behind us couple of times , yet none of this was brought up by the panel at HT. some times i wonder what game people are watching.

canada had 67% possession in the first half alone. all this talk about a 'brilliant' first half..what did we do? got a lucky goal from a corner and knocked a few long balls to a lone striker. that was it. other than we were chasing shadows and covering space all first half. this is eventually gonna take its toll. you cant sit back and knock it long all game like we did. at some stage we have to try and control the game. our superstar was played at left wing back for the most part. soon as she moved in midfield the difference was night and day...same against the aussies.

o sullivan and littlejohn in midfield were awful yesterday. i thought o sullivan was meant to be one of our go to players? she was terrible. anonymous.

canada could have won that about 5 -1 and i wouldn't have begrudged them it. as i said in an earlier post, they had some nice combination play, good interchanges, players showing for the ball, players being proactive, looked properly coached. everything we didnt have.

well done to the girls for getting there but i think the conservative tactics and lack of decent footballers caught us out.

Oooh this result puts serious pressure on Australia in the final game. Think I’ll be watching that one rather than the Ireland game

Nigeria are through on this result, yeh?

Was hoping they'd be playing us with something on the line to give us something to play for and more experience.

Not to be.

It’s all up in the air with the all teams (bar us). Currently table looking like this…..

AUS scored again since my screenshot 2-3 now

• Advertisement

Nigeria hang on!

Australia have to beat Canada to qualify.

Advertisement