Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If certain players hit the type of form they had after Emery arrived again and the new lads make an impact it’s possible especially with the potential for 5spots depending on how clubs like us do in Europe. We won’t be raising our expectations that high just yet though. Newcastle and Man Utd might be a little less secure of retaining their spot though (Liverpool will be better as well).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Diaby announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tielemans, Torres and Diaby with no meaningful departures is pretty good going.

Ive seen many of the opinion that there’ll be a number more to come, but I wouldn’t be that sure of it, unless someone else meaningful does head out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

Need a backup keeper, better than Olson. Looks like Emry is adding depth and different skillsets to suit the varying styles of both domestic and european competitions.

Torres and Mings both play the same position so we'll probably see them rotated based on opponent style.

This has been a great transfer window so far and I wouldn't be surprised to see more come in. Maybe the club would prefer balancing the team before worrying about dealing with the excess.

3-3 draw with Newcastle in pre-season. Beundia scored 2, Watkins 1 and Torres and Tielemans both made 2nd half appearances.

Sanson was left out of the squad despite travelling because he is apparently close to signing for Nice. It's a season long loan with the option to make it permanent. He is reported as leaving "in the next couple of hours".

That's him and Nakamba out now just....Coutinho, Traore, Davis, Hause, Chambers, Wesley, Deondoncker (am I forgetting anyone) still to go.

Villa the newest prem team to be linked with Sofyan Amrabat. I don't see it myself and expect him to end up in rotation with Casemero at Utd not Kamara at Villa.

Thiago Almada also being linked. 22 year old attacker who worked his way into the Argentinian World Cup squad but currently plays in the US with Atlanta who value him around $20m

I get what you are saying about Olson circadan and you are not the only one who has said it but I don't recall any links to GKs which were not also some flimsy story linking Emi away from Villa Park. I think Emry is ok with him as backup this season and will look elsewhere first. The links we are getting suggest another attacker (Almada, Doku, Ferran Torres etc continuing to be linked after Diaby being signed), a backup / rotation option for our more defensive CMs (Zakaria, Adams, Amrabat, McKennie etc) and although there have not been as many links recently a RB to replace Young unless he is thinking of making someone like Konsa/Chambers backup right back but I doubt that.

• Advertisement

Besiktas linked to Coutinho

Luton linked to Davis

I'm not sure if it actually happened but some reports had Inter making a 15m euro bid for Emi Martinez today! I doubt I'd want the club listening to an offer for him even if the 1 and f5 from that offer were reversed. Hard to believe anyone would think Emi could be gotten for such a price.

Diaby has joined up with the lads for training now and might even feature Vs Fulham tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

We've apparently contacted Amrabat who has the same agent as Konsa.

A few places linking Watkins to Chelsea for 55 million. I'd hate to lose Watkins, I dont think we would get a much better fit for how the team plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I can't see us letting Watkins go for anything other completely silly money. 55 million nowhere near crazy money. Reliable PL goalscorers are hard to come by. While Watkins isn't considered prolific, his all round game makes him perfect for our team.

Are there any credible links to the Chelsea story?

2 places reporting, no idea how reliable. Its definitely not impossible with how well he finished the season but I think he signed a new contract last year, hopefully 55 isn't a magic number in it.

Don’t think there’s any credibility to either rumour really. CM is one of Villa’s depth areas already, and 55 million should not get you Watkins, given how inflated the market prices are at the moment.

Dont think Watkins signed a new contract last year. There’s been talk that will happen this off-season (so you can see why it might be in his agents interest for there to be linked interest)

• Advertisement

Reading Emery confirmed last night that Archer and Duran won't be loaned out.

Yeah unless Villa were to buy another CF (which I don't see happening) such as how we were linked to Vlahovic (again not happening imo) I don't see why those lads would be going anywhere. They will play in all the cups and get some minutes off the bench in the league. If we let them leave and anything happened to Watkins we would be screwed.

Literally any link I have seen to Watkins, much like the links to Emi Martinez (or Luiz), have been imo bull. Villa are not going to sell their only CF or GK who we know for sure is good enough for a club at our level, especially when we don't need the money. To get Villa to do so, the price in any of these links would have to be far higher. High enough most likely to make the buying club look elsewhere because they all have budgets and other needs. For example everyone knows that Chelsea need a CM and want Caicedo, no way would they be able to do that and spend the kind of money Villa would demand for Watkins.

I would in no way be against Amrabat as a signing but the links to Utd seem more advanced than the more recent ones to us and if we were to bring in another CM (which I think is possible if we sell the likes of Dendoncker) then I'd guess it would be someone who would be happy to be at least in rotation and I think a player of Amrabat's stature might accept that with a CL squad like Man Utd but as much as I like the ambition from Villa I don't know if he would think the same about us.

I think right now the focus might be on completing deals to get a few lads out like Davis, Coutinho (if possible) and co. Wesley has been surprisingly linked to a loan move at Watford.

Diaby will be wearing the no.19 shirt at Villa next year. Same as he has worn in Germany and for France apparently.

I'd just hold onto Dendoncker. As we line up, we have 4 CM plus McGinn, JJ and Chambers taking into account Emery doesn't play either McGinn or JJ in the centre.

I'd be happy enough with Dendoncker as a back up. He was a starter for Wolves for long enough plus he's add height.

I would like to see Cam Archer starting the game tonight to see how he goes.

Archer starts. Torres, Carlos and Konsa all start - wondering if Konsa will be at right back.

Our backup to Cash at RB? ----

According to Deportes Cope Valencia, Aston Villa have held talks with Levante for their right-back Marc Pubill. The Segunda division side want €5 million for the 20-year-old Spanish defender, with the Villains looking to pay slightly less. The fact that Unai Emery wants to pay less came from other reports covering the story. There are reasons for the same, as Marc Pubill is not an established La Liga player. He broke into the Levante side aged 18 and has made 42 appearances.

-----------

Villa beat Fulham 2-0 and Diaby scored on his first appearance and Philippe Coutinho came on and got his first 30mins of game time since being out injured.

Edit: Also there have been a lot more links to midfielder Franck Kessie recently and Mundo Deportivo, are pushing the idea that he could now leave as he is not expected to get more game time than last year, his original plan was to fight for more when he had been linked away but the addition of Gundogan seems to have affected that. Villa are one of the teams linked to a move along with Liverpool who are said to interest him more as they have said something about him joining a top 6 team but should Pool sign Lavia there are questions over if they would go for both or perhaps prioritize a defender especially with Trent capable of moving to midfield.

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Jaysus imagine a midfield 3 of Luiz, Kamara & Kessie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think Liverpool will sign him to replace Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Wesley gone to Stoke permanently. No mention of a transfer fee, but regardless it's good to get him off the books.

• Advertisement

Yeah very unfortunate with how it worked out for him, the injury etc but as a previous record signing I’m sure he wasn’t on pennies so it’s good to move him on permanently. Doubt the fee is big since Stoke have only given him a 1 year contract.

Konza tackling like a striker for a penalty then going on a blinding one man solo goal.

Interesting article in the Athletic about Philogene's involved in the USA tour. Seems to me like he will definitely be involved in the first team this year. In fact, i wonder if we will hold off signing any more wide forwards this year to see how he does.

there didnt seem to be a paywall for me so other might be able to read it.

We are just about to sign some young lad called Aiden Boland. 15 years old, was at Celtics academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

3-0 thumping of Lazio and it could have been double that. Watkins McGinn and OG. Missed a penalty as well. Missed most of it but we looked very good in the part I saw.

Yeah this season feels different lads

Watkins needs to not take another penalty. Surely Luiz or Tielemans would be better options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Outside of the usual suspects Villa are absolutely the team to watch this year, really like the team Emery has built so far.

Emery does not give up on cup competitions so a big thing this season will be seeing how the fringe players step up as there are going to be a lot of games this season. Can't help but feeling positive about everything that has happened since Gerrard left and look forward to the upcoming challenge with belief in what the club can achieve.

Only recent links have been to Adams from Leeds having a 25m release clause that we might activate. Digne being a target for Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal and Burnely being interested in Aaron Ramsey for 12m but monchi wanting to insert a buy-back clause.

Adams would mean incredible depth in midfield and surely the likes of Dendoncker would leave as a result. Digne I would not have a problem (and I get the impression the club might be the same) if he left but he would have to be replaced especially with Moreno injured for the start of the season. The Tierney links have died off again and I've not seen many LB links recently. If they could get a buy-back clause in then getting 12m for someone who most likely will not be involved this year seems too good to pass up even though from what I have heard about the younger Ramsey he could follow in his brothers footsteps and I doubt many want rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Draw on Monday for the Conference League. We will face one of the following sides:

Lech Poznan (Pol)/Spartak Trnava (Svk)

Osasuna (Esp)

Rapid Vienna (Aut)/Debrecen (Hun)

Hapoel Be’er Sheva (Isr)/Levski Sofia (Bul)

APOEL (Cyp)/Dila Gori (Geo)

Besiktas (Tur)/Neftci (Aze)

Luzern (Sui)/Hibernian (Sco)

Adana Demirspor (Tur)/Osijek (Cro)

Twente (Ned)/Riga (Lva)

Rijeka (Cro)/B36 (Fro)

Arouca (Por)/Brann (Nor)

FCSB (Rou)/Nordsjaelland (Nor)

Legia Warsaw (Pol)/Austria Vienna (Aut)

Rosenborg (Nor)/Hearts (Sco)

Tobol (Kaz)/Derry City (Irl)

Sepsi (Rou)/Aktobe (Kaz)

Celje (Svn)/Neman Grodno (Bls)

Any of the Western Europe ones sound fine. Don’t want big travel with league games on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Indeed after the first leg, it's Burnley away and the second leg, it's Liverpool away.

I think it's been useful that the friendlies in America were so close together and playing Lazio yesterday and Valencia tomorrow. I can imagine that Emery is trying to get the players used to playing matches in quick succession with limited preparation time.

There is more depth than before there now of course, but if Villa do well there’ll be lads ending up with a lot of minutes accumulated, more than we’ve had to deal with in the past (that’s what you want though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hibs would be a good one for John McGinn though he might prefer getting one over on Hearts.

At this stage of our development I don’t look at the amount of games as a negative, I’m sure Emery wants games to work out his best players and positions.

Match on anywhere or was it just the fixtures in the US that were on Sky?

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Another win rounds out pre season and Romano and co are reporting a club from Qatar are in for Coutiniho and supposedly a Saudi team made an approach in July so maybe there will be movement there soon.

Winner of Hibs V Luzerne in the Conference league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Conference league draw has just been made.

Villa get the winners of Hibs and Luzerne. That was the weakest possible draw in terms of coefficients. Playing at Home in the second leg too.

Should be handy enough.

Not a huge spin for the away fixture either way.

• Advertisement

Luzern defo seem to be the favourites with the bookies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ferran Torres links coming up in various places. Paper never rejected ink and all that..

The Ollie Watkins contract situation grows ever ominous. The fact that it hasn’t happened by now is worrying.

I think he is contracted until end of 24/25 season. Plenty of time to sign a new deal or be sold and replaced.

There is a few Man U links around though but I doubt that will happen this season unless it is huge money. They've already signed a striker as well.

I think summer 25 contract means you either sign this summer (the massive massive preference) or sell really. You can’t be going into next summer with him having 1 year left on his contract, and a January sale would not be feasible.

Theres a few links going around of Luiz to Spurs. Hopefully waffle.

Aaron Ramsey being linked with a 12 million move to Burnley but with a buy back clause being put in the deal.

Genuinely think we’re better than Spurs now, and with a better manager.

Spurs are a basket case, these types of links are waffle. As far as I can tell they're spending all their energy in delaying the inevitable, Kane should have been let go at the start of the summer to rebuild but it seems they'll end up without him or any decent replacement by the end of the window.

I reckon he stays there now, so they wont have that money to throw around even if they want to.

Luiz last summer to Arsenal made sense. His contract was running down and Villa were not in the situation they are now manager wise, European football wise / squad around him wise.

Luiz to Spurs now makes very little sense. He re-signed, has been a key member of Emery's squad, Villa are progressing and got European football which Spurs don't have and Villa would charge a huge fee for him.

The Argentinian RB from Sevilla Gonzalo Montiel seems the strongest link to a player coming in although Adams name does keep getting mentioned although Chelsea are likely to bring him in (if they have money left after sealing a Caicedo deal) according to rumors. After that the only name being mentioned is Felix on loan at the end of the window as his other non Saudi options are dwindling.

Meanwhile it does look like Ramsey Jr will be leaving but that a buy back clause is being inserted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement