Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Whatever about his move to Saudi. Choosing the contract angle is a bizarre way of having a go at him. Pretty much 99% of the player we sign are under contract, so are they un-loyal sh**bags that are not worthy of our support before they even kick a ball for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I haven't called him a sh1tbag or anything like that, but simply, and especially as a club captain, there are ways to behave and ways to leave the club. I referenced Milner and Bobby in recent weeks, even the likes of Masc and Suarez in the past forced moves but were more honest and straight in their dealings.

I guess no matter how much money is involved, you can't buy class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

So Elmo - Mr Meme Maker - is easily offended. What a soft dose.

Can I be offended that someone actually linked that ridiculous Tweet?

There are few - if any here - who would not chase a huge jump in earnings regardless of how much we already had. 100%.

Suarez was honest for sure. Except for the the oul racism bit.

I'm actually not sure if you're serious about any of this now at all!

Was speaking about when he moved from the club, rather than his other outbursts and racist opinions, in the same way as I haven't really gone on about Jordan's doublespeak regarding the LGBT and human rights issues in Saudi.

Im guessing within the club there is a pi55ed off attitude too BTW, farewell videos from Jordan and From the EPL and still nothing from the LFC media, which is strange for a move flagged well for the last 3 weeks and him such a loyal servant.

Anyway, he's gone, we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

There are plenty of people who would turn down the chance to double or triple their salary. I could actually do exactly that if I wanted to move my family to Saudi, Qatar or UAE but I don't as I value my current life and rights of my wife and daughter more than some extra money. I also have no interest living in the middle of the desert. For Hendo it's even worse as unlike me, an increase to his wealth will make no difference to his life. He already has everything he'll ever need so it's only passing wealth down to next generations which many studies have shown can actually end up having a detrimental effect.

The difference with his level of money is you can get out of the hellhole whenever he wants. He's on private jet type money.

An ordinary Joe soap wouldn't have that luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Henderson will have '**** you' money. I'm sure he'll be fine with that.

I'm more concerned about the impact on Liverpool's squad for the upcoming season than where he's gone off to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There's been a few who've tried to relativise the 2x/3x income thing, I can say no way would I move to Saudi for 3x my current salary. Like it would take my life changing completely for that to even be considered. And for Henderson that simply isn't the case, going from multigenerational wealth to slightly more multigenerational wealth - amazing.

And to then turn around and to be asking for assurances about his England place, guy actually appears to have lost the plot. Sappy insincere goodbye video was the cherry on top. G'luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Once Lavia is done we need to address the gaping hole at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Listening to a few Liverpool podcasts, they mention that Trent is still in that role but more pushing into midfield in preseason. When someone else comes on for him, the role remains so it’s a system applied by the manager. It’s likely the gaping hole will remain with cover from midfield expected which was Henderson’s role and Fab’s although neither did well last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Henderson's new club have just posted a promo video and his rainbow armband has been pasted over with a black and white edit of his arm to obscure the rainbow in every image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What Trent does in his own time is none of our business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Ugh, ironic choice of caption as well in the circumstances.

You wonder will he regret this in the future. First Liverpool team to win a league in a generation, if Fabinho goes then 5 of that starting team will have left, and he will be the only one who has left under a cloud.

We held our own in the second half of last season, even led the second half table at times on the run in, based on that I'd say we're a good shout at 8-1 to win the league, surely we're looking to improve, not get worse.

8-1 is relatively low odds, there has been too much disruption to the midfield to expect anything like an 85+ point season. Finishing in the top 4 and attempting to win the Europa League should be the target for the season.

Whatever chance there was of him being able to wear the rainbow laces / armband again over there look like they are gone now to me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

Coutinho and masch both refused to play league games to force through their moves. That is worse. You are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Considering the efforts & resources that are going in to this whole palaver by the Saudi regime, the use of this particular image and the washing away of the colours could well be a not so subtle message to the LGBTQ+ community. And along with an ironic usage of YNWA, it does seem like some of their PR crew are laughing away to themselves at how clever they are. Sportswashing at its filthiest 🤮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Depends on how you look at it. My first thoughts for using that image is "why is it in B&W? What are they trying to hide? - oh yeah equality and human rights..." Had it been in colour, I'd barely have noticed the rainbow as I'm accustomed to seeing it and the colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It seems a deliberate choice of image as there is no shortage of pictures of Henderson with the usual black on white captains armband.

“I know, and it is always like this in life, people will only appreciate him properly after he has left. I think he didn’t get the proper appreciation or respect he would have deserved over the years – from some for sure, but not from all. Now he leaves, I would say, not on the highest high because obviously last season was not fantastic, but leaving on a high and I think that’s good.

“In the future when people are looking back then they will realise Jordan Henderson was the skipper of [our] most successful squad until then – I hope we can create another one – and the skipper of the first Premier League title winners and all these kind of things. That’s a special career. He should be, and will be in the future, proud of it.”

Bradley, Bajectic & Thiago not going to Singapore for that trip.

Bajectic & Thiago not fit enough yet, so I would guess that they won't be fit enough for Chelsea in 2 weeks time either with little to no pre-season.

There was talking during the week that Bradley was getting a new contract, so maybe he is going on loan?

With a more or less new midfield, and still some gaps in the squad that's terrible odds imo.

I can't see a title challenge unless we get very lucky with injuries, and maybe if Nunez kicks on and scores a bagful.

Getting back into the top 4, and then strengthening again and I'd be happy enough. A cup too would be nice. Any. League Cup and FA cup see essentially the same value these days.

Going deep in the Europa too would be great.

Yea, they didn't behave well, I'm not saying any different. Of course this offed did come in the close season, so who knows.....

Well he never refused to play for us over his entire time here. He often played while injured in fact and was generally a model pro during his time here and will go down as the best captain of our club in modern times so for a few posters to be sticking the knife in now as he goes just cos he may have asked for the transfer after being told he would have reduced minutes this season is a bit much imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do you think reduced minutes weighed more heavily than the 750k per week?

• Advertisement

Haha no. But just that maybe he wouldn't have gone if he was told he would be playing as much as possible.

PSG seem to be open to selling Marquinhos. I wonder is he a potential option to bring in? Age is not on his side but surely could do a job for a few years. Wages and transfer fee probably would be high, especially coming from PSG.

Primarily a CB, but has played RB & DM a decent bit so he would be covering a few roles if he was to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Wages would indeed be high but would be exactly what we need.

Experienced. Brazilian friend for Allison. Can cover in a number of positions.

Definitely worth a gamble imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't think anyone really begrudges Henderson a big payday move, but, I think where he is leaving for, is what disappoints most, he might well be finished at the very top level, but, he could still have got a big payday move to another European side ( in Spain or Italy) or even to the US, but, going to the middle east just for money despite being already a multiple millionaire many times over. He has shown a distinct lack of awareness and there's very little positives apart from the money, a strange move.

Plenty of positives for him! HIM. He's absolutely entitled to make his own decision - a decision for him and his family and extended family - and the amount of vitriol aimed at him is pathetic.

He's 12 years at Liverpool and gave 100% at all times. He owes nothing to anyone.

You'd swear he owed a few 'fans' favours with the self-righteousness out of some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

His form dropped alot last season,yet he is on a massive contract till 20228,Salah kind of salary,he would be a big gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Are there, beyond the money? Every other aspect looks negative. Ends top level club career. Likely ends international career. Ends his good standing and goodwill amongst a community he has previously supported. Has to move for three years to a place it’s safe to say would not have been somewhere he would otherwise have chosen to live, either uproots his young family to a less than ideal environment for girls, or leave them behind.

There certainly is lots of money to mount on top of his already amassed piles of money but, as said, there don’t seem to be any other positives to be found in it. Seems a net loss for three years, and time is the one thing money can’t buy.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't get the comments on how people aren't allowed to tell someone they have enough money. Jordan Henderson was given a contract extension as a 31 year old to make around £14m per year. That is more than £50m for the extension had he stayed for the duration of his contract. I will say it, he had enough money. If you cannot live until you are 100 on £10m then you are an idiot. People live off £30K a year so its not like you cannot survive.

This is discounting the money he made before he signed that extension. Its the same crap as with the LIV golfers, we cannot tell a player that has made $30m in prize money that he should not be allowed to make even more. Why?

But the money thing isn't even the worst of it. I, as a straight man, can only call him a hypocrite as that what he is for going to Saudi Arabia when he was spouting support for the LBGTQI+ community. But I can take my guidance on how someone from that community feels about him having made the move. And its not a good look,

"“I do believe when you see something that is clearly wrong and makes another human being feel excluded you should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them.”

So wrote Jordan Henderson in his programme notes, as Liverpool’s club captain, for the game against Southampton in November 2021. 

It was a nod to the ongoing Stonewall annual Rainbow Laces campaign and came complete with a picture of Henderson standing proudly with a rainbow-coloured armband on his bicep.

The piece was long — just over 900 words — and on a different level from most of these kinds of articles. It was a thoughtful and considered analysis of LGBTQI+ issues in football and society. It was powerful, with Henderson airing his frustration and bewilderment with homophobia and discrimination. It was a show of genuine support and solidarity with the community.

Or so it seemed.

Last week, Henderson verbally agreed to join his former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia. Henderson’s contract, worth close to £700,000 ($917,000) per week, has been negotiated; now, after a few days of negotiations, the clubs have struck an agreement on a £12m transfer fee. Henderson was left out of Liverpool’s pre-season game against Karlsruher on Wednesday with the move close to completion.

The move may have dragged on but Henderson has enthusiastically pursued a move to Saudi Arabia, a country where it is not only illegal to be homosexual or transgender, but dangerous – even life-threatening. From standing shoulder-to-shoulder with LGBTQI+ people, it now feels like he has shown a cold shoulder to that very same community.

Many within that community feel let down."

So I for one will not hope he does well or be enthusiastic when he comes back to Anfield. He has decided to make even more money when he is an already rich man and he has thrown any morals he supposedly had down the drain. Does he really believe frontline workers are as important as he thought standing with the LBGTQI+ community was? Hope his raise is worth that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

He is also owed nothing by fans either. People talking about him getting a great reception when he comes back. Why should he?

He played for the club for 12 years in return for getting paid huge money. You'd swear he volunteered for 12 years the way some people go on.

This

And as mentioned above, had his contract extended at bug cost 2 years ago, only to say 'fvck youze' and shill his way out of it half way through

What a Leader.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Jordan Henderson has done the modern day version of taking the soup. He's shown that nothing he ever said means a thing when cash is dangled in his face.

I think a lot of people are finding out that a person they put on a pedestal is just no different from a lot of other footballers and that the bottom line for them is as much cash as possible for me and mine before I have to retire.

If you say one thing and then do the other, expect criticism.

Carragher quote from an article I saw earlier:

"When other footballers hear the criticism directed at him, they will not say ‘I can’t go to Saudi’, he stated. "They will be told by their advisors to keep their mouth shut in case they move there in future, thus avoiding accusations of hypocrisy.

"That will equate to buying silence - a grave impact of sportswashing. This is where Fifa and other sporting bodies have also been open to criticism and should have been stronger. Governing bodies have the power to say countries will not be allowed to host major sporting events unless they meet human rights requirements. You can’t preach inclusive values only to turn a blind eye when the price is right and not expect criticism."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Assuming Lavia gets done (not a done deal I know) what's our next signing?

He led imperiously for 12 years. Won everything that could be one.

Klopp seemed happy enough with him going so that will be good enough for me. Big money off the wage bill and 12 million for a player who wouldn't be offering much anyway.

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not you seem to live in a fantasy world where professional sportspeople honour their contracts. That shipped sailed decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

😄 I lol'd.

Anything to leave the Hendo drama behind. He's gone let's move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Hmmm. I could easily see Carra working with Bein Sports at some stage.

He's bought into the Sky thing too much to leave them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

And the CBS thing as well.

In answer to your original question I think that when Fabinho's transfer is announced the club will bring in another non-homegrown player.

There was a reported €30M offer made to Torino for Perr Schuurs a few weeks ago. His entourage was also reported to have told Crystal Palace that they were waiting on Liverpool.

In the same time frame Liverpool was named in the Spanish media as the club that had made a €30M offer to Barcelona for Andreas Christensen. He would be a homegrown player having signed for Chelsea when he was 16/17.

• Advertisement
Advertisement