Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Fair enough, the point Im making is that SA in 2019 were not regarded as a very good team nor had they been for years. It's a hill Shehal seems determined to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Most had SA tipped prior to WC, look at the bookies odds and the articles below. Plenty more if you look.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup-betting-odds-18996798

Outright winner

New Zealand: 5/4

South Africa: 9/2

England: 9/2

Ireland: 7/1

Full circle here, multiple winner favoured even though they are off form. You are making my point for me, regardless of how **** their form is NZ and SA will always be among the very favourites for the WC because they are proven winners. Ireland come in as 'the best team in the world' yet are behind NZ and just ahead of SA at the bookies. Have they ever been outside the top 3 at the bookies before the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I would still rate NZ as the best team at the last RWC - in a sustained league situation I think NZ would have won against the other teams. England had a France moment and played out of their boots to beat them. Our performance between Cups has been fantastic this time. We’ll have to wait and see if it makes any difference to the usual turn of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

If France backed up their performances against NZ in 99, Ireland in 03, NZ in 2007, England in 2011 they would have a star on the shirt by now.

So in order to justify Frances chances, recent form has to be taken into account. If they showed any bit of cohesion going into 99,07 and 11 that could have been enough to win it out. They do have that now.

Yeah, hard to see past them if their performance against SA is anything to go by. Like Ireland, if they get a good start its very hard to stay with them. Ireland will come into it with a lot of confidence and a successful gameplay that's hard to deal with so these two laying against each other is a very hard call. 1st or third test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's always the "have we peaked too soon" or the Sexton health issues. Like S.A, we are tied down to Sextons health and Porter. If Porter goes down we are fcuked.

You posted:

Munster fans will remember how SA crashed before the last WC as it caused them to lose their coach. SA were a mess and going into the competition many people thought it would catch up with them,, as Aloof makes clear above.

Along with other statement to say how terrible SA was prior to 2019. Including that nobody had them in for winning the competition. I provided the bookies and loads of others seen the form of SA and had them in as a favuorite.

Now you are saying???

Maybe it times to admit you make an error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The England performance against NZ in the 2019 RWC was typical Eddie Jones. When he has a lot of time, he comes up with a game plan specifically to win a big one off match against a certain opponent but then has nothing for the next match and gets found out. Look at his teams in the 2003, 2015 and 2019 world cups. It's why I could see Aus beating the ABs this weekend.

What's the error? SA were poor before the last World Cup but because they have a habit of winning it no-one would bet against them, basically the same point Ive been making for a couple of days here. Same goes for NZ, they might be terrible but they could still win the WC. Even before their performance against SA recently many pundits had them as favourites/joint favourites w France. I repeat, SA were in poor form throughout the period before the last WC yet they were highly favoured anyway because they are SA who are always likely to win it. Are you arguing that because the bookies had them as one of the favourites they'd been excellent in the previous period because the record does not near that out?

You posted:

In 2019 they drew with NZ and beat the other two in a 3 match run. No-one was jumping up and down about them and when NZ beat them in the group stage they were written off. They'd been off form for years at that stage. Rassie primed them perfectly as it turned out but if they'd been blown out of the group few people would have been surprised. In 2018 the went 1-1 against both OZ and NZ, winning at home and losing on the road.

From another

More generally SA have to be given a real shot partly because they came into the last WC as no hopers, 

Doesn't seem to align

When have NZ been terrible? they have won the last two Rugby Championships.....

SA wasn't in poor form before the last WC. I repeat they won the rugby Championship.

I am pointing out the glaring issues

You're just refusing to read it. SA not great before the last WC but won it anyway. In my view they're just as dangerous this time even with their problems at 10 and the front row. I would never count them out. You can disagree with it but I've no idea what doesn't align.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

I remember that year like it was yesterday and I can tell you that this is in fact false.

Trust me I aint dying on any hill! This is an opinion forum so I'm not going to criticise you for having an opinion but what I wont do is let you spread false information and get away with it. In 2019 SA were in the top 4 teams in the world, 2nd in the odds and rugby championship holders. To say they weren't a very good team is factually incorrect so continuing to say they weren't is just damaging you're credibility.

Yes but that is a pretty subjective term...I could point to any of the top 10 sides in the world as the best teams...

I agree about SA at least, I still think NZL have room to grow even more but at this stage I would still have doubts ngl.

SA winning the RC in 2019 shows that they clearly weren't the terrible side many try to make them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

You don’t get a star on your shirt for winning the RWC.

You get to put the emblem of the William Webb Ellis trophy on your sleeve and the year you won it underneath. And only on jerseys worn at following RWCs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But aren’t you dismissing SA chances this time?

Despite them being the same ranking (4th) and shorter odds (7/2 today vs 9/2) now as vs 2019?

Read your own posts and they don't align. You said SA was a basket case and nobody had them to win the last WC. Anyway it seems you are playing the standard online forum game. Make a statement and when its wrong ignore you made it in first place

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ill answer you're 2nd question first. Basically what all the stats in 2019 prove is that SA weren't "no hopers" going into that WC that people claim.

One thing I'll caveat with those stats both in the betting and ranking is when Erasmus took over SA were like 7th in the world and their odds were alot longer (in September 2018 they were 12/1 so can only imagine they were alot longer when Erasmus took over after the 2017 season) so what you can see between when he took over and the RWC they went up 3 places in the rankings and had their odds slashed both in terms of positions and the odds themselves. This time however they've went from 1st in the world to 4th and their odds havent really moved at all ( I would imagine this largely down to the fact that England/Wales/Australia have collapsed and Ireland have really shortened so almost by default SA have held their position) so when you break it down SA have gone backwards despite the data being similar as they started in a far FAR stronger position this cycle compared to when Erasmus took over.

I dont think I have dismissed their chances, they definitely are contenders and could very well end up as champions but if I look at the 4 sides they are the only ones with massive red flags sticking out, you don't see Ireland or France having shockers like 2 weeks ago for instance and to be having those shockers with more or less you're best team only 50 days or so out from the tournament would be hugely concerning, you cant exactly come out and say they were experimenting or anything looking at that team. NZL I still would have just behind Ireland & France as they have had a tendency of drifting in and out of games like v Australia (in Melbourne), England, Scotland, SA (both times), Argentina (home) and even to an extent that game against SA in Auckland. You see in those games for the most part why they will be a huge threat at the RWC but then you also see why they still have a bit of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What happens between now and Ireland naming their final RWC squad? https://the42.ie/6129290

Murray Kinsella has an excellent piece here on what the squad is up to over the next few weeks.

There were a few people asking a few pages back on why don't ireland just stay in France after the final warm up game but I think it's all laid out here.

Currently on week off then back to carton house before the game v Italy and then a week in Portugal where they will train with the Portuguese rugby team too and then back for the England game.. and then off to Biarritz for a week before coming home and announcing the final squad. Seems pretty well laid out. With some breaks for down time in-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Sounds like a good programme - the trip to Portugal after the Italy game is a great idea and Tours is a nice spot to be based in during the tournament.

Mad that it's only ten days to the first warm-up game. It will be interesting to see if everyone gets a run, or whether some guys fall at the first hurdle. You'd have to think that guys like Blade, Osborne and Nash need to be involved next weekend or they're done.

I see that Conway is training with Munster so looks like he wasn't called up by Ireland.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

is it this week that conway is with munster? he could have been sent back to them for the off week to get more training in. id think hes a long shot still but AF is a big fan so i wouldnt be surprised if hes being given the best chance possible or even being first on the injury call up list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Munsters squad update from this week confirmed that Conway (and Diarmuid Barron) were with the Irish squad last week.

Training pictures confirm Barron but hadn't spotted Conway in any

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's interesting about Barron, I wonder is there an injury concern over one of the hookers? (there usually is with Kelleher)

Conway is up a while, they had pictures of event ages ago and he was sitting in the very back of a group photo...some eagle eyed fans picked it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I don’t know if it means anything but Blade is an entertaining player to watch. An excellent improviser.

At this stage I just hope our main men don’t pick up any injuries before the opening match. After that the serenity prayer will be deployed on multiple occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Just after watching the first half of the AB v Boks game from a few days ago.

Must say I'm a lot more worried about our chances in the RWC now. I'd definitely be hoping to face France if New Zealand keep improving.

Advertisement