Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

NZ were good but SA were terrible. They looked like rusty players who were shell shocked and even basic skills were letting them down.

I cant see that game as being close to the intensity of last weekend with it being 2 weeks out from a world cup. It will be as close as a friendly can be in rugby, with many players just trying to get through it without an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

A friendly between NZ and SA. Interesting concept. I wonder why they even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

South Africa going close enough to full strength for this one but changing out a few guys to get a look at one or two players who haven't had much game time yet.

Scary to see those two front rows and think that Nche and du Toit don't make the 23.

Springbok team to face Argentina in Johannesburg:

15 – Willie le Roux (Vodacom Bulls) – 85 caps, 65 pts (13t)

14 – Cheslin Kolbe (Suntory Sungoliath) – 24 caps, 81 pts (12t, 3c, 5p)

13 – Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles) – 59 caps, 60 pts (12t)

12 – Damian de Allende (Panasonic Wild Knights) – 71 caps, 45 pts (9t)

11 – Kurt-Lee Arendse (Vodacom Bulls) – 8 caps, 50 pts (10t)

10 – Manie Libbok (DHL Stormers) – 5 caps, 19 pts (8c, 1p)

9 – Grant Williams (Cell C Sharks) – 3 caps, 0 pts

8 – Duane Vermeulen (captain, SA Rugby) – 67 caps, 15 pts (3t)

7 – Pieter-Steph du Toit (Toyota Verblitz) – 68 caps, 30 pts (6t)

6 – Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls) – 11 caps, 0 pts

5 – Marvin Orie (DHL Stormers) – 12 caps, 0 pts

4 – Eben Etzebeth (Cell C Sharks) – 111 caps, 20 pts (4t)

3 – Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers) – 60 caps, 5 pts (1t)

2 – Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 60 caps, 75 pts (15t)

1 – Steven Kitshoff (Ulster) – 73 caps, 10 pts (2t)

Replacements:

16 – Bongi Mbonambi (Cell C Sharks) – 58 caps, 60 pts (12t)

17 – Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92) – 59 caps, 5 pts (1t)

18 – Vincent Koch (Cell C Sharks) – 43 caps, 0 pts

19 – Kwagga Smith (Shizuoka Blue Revs) – 32 caps, 20 pts (4t)

20 – RG Snyman (Munster) – 25 caps, 5 pts (1t)

21 – Faf de Klerk (Canon Eagles) – 47 caps, 44 pts (5t, 2c, 5p)

22 – Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 33 caps, 30 pts (6t)

23 – Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 29 caps, 36 pts (2t, 4c, 4p, 2d)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

I'd be more scared about how badly they were beaten in Auckland if I was a SA fan.

Absolutely but I think that said more about NZ though than anything. That was the most cohesive and accurate performance I've seen from NZ in a long time and I think they've finally settled on an effective backline with their 12, 13, 15 axis being central to their last couple of performances.

SA desperately need an outhalf to play their game though. Libbok and Willemse aren't capable of playing a territorial game that concentrates on their pack moving forward. If Pollard doesn't recover from his calf injury, I don't think they're going to go past the quarter final.

• Advertisement

I would agree with that if it was for the fact that this isn't the first time this has happened to SA, the same thing happened in Australia last year. The worrying part is NZL were asleep after that first 20 minutes and yet SA still couldnt get close.

Being able to leave out great props is not really relevant if they don't have a fly half that can control their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They really are not the same without Pollard. Amazing to see them all over the place without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Losing Pollard is bad but his absence doesn't explain just how poor they were in defence, and shifting the entire backline around after removing Mapimpi was a disaster and looked like it hadn't been trained for. One assumes they won't keep making the same defensive mistakes.

What if they are only gearing up to the world cup? What if they don't give a shite about this shortened tournament. I would not write them off. Man for man they are loaded. They've got world class players in the squad and finding the balance and mechanisms is likely what they're doing.

They could also be gash. As could the kiwis.

I tend to agree with this. I'd never write them off thOugh I think Ireland will have their number assuming our players stay fit.

• Advertisement

So they lost on purpose? With a squad as old as that I cant see any logic for that performance.

Who knows? The WC is obviously the main draw for everyone. A stilted 3 match championship is likely a proving ground.

Its the main draw for every side, it doesnt justify that performance and result. Someone like Australia I can see the justification with Eddie just taking over but SA with such a settled and experienced side I struggle to see any logic.

SA even sent over that clearly first team squad to NZ early to prep. It makes no sense to do that for a 'proving ground' game.

Best case for them is they had a bad day, there is zero evidence they didn't care about that match.

No one is writing them off but that performance in NZ puts into context the acclaim they were getting after the Aus match

It makes no difference. The world cup is the golden goose. Let's see how that plays out. I'm more concerned about France rather than any souther hemisphere team. That said, the world cup winners most likely will come from our end of the draw. S.A will be tough as will N.Z.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eddie Jones certainly seems to be using the RC as a building ground floor the RWC.

Fair enough they cannot win the competition on Saturday but he's put out a team which is quite experimental and are going to get hammered.

NZ on the other hand are as stacked as they can be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Debut for Roigard. Whitelock on the bench and the loose forwards I was hoping for. I like that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

really shocked that DMC isn't in the 23 again, you can say they have enough cove on the field for 10 and 15, but it's a joke that Clarke is making the team ahead of him.

I dont really see how getting their asses handed to them in Auckland prepares them for a RWC that's 50 days away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I thought we benefitted last summer from NZ not knowing their best front row or centre combination but reckon they've settled nicely on the best options.

• Advertisement

I like the BR but I would really like to see Jacobson at 8 and Savea moved to 7. Savea is a world class player so you can put him anywhere in the BR and he would shine but I still feel he's a 7 playing at 8.

You've answered your own question. There's plenty of cover already available for 15 and 10. They need cover for the wing. Ioane could technically cover there but he's a huge weapon for NZ in midfield, hasn't played wing for a couple of years and they're trying to bed in a new partnership which is reaping rewards for them currently.

With the flexibility in the backline, DMC really needs to be starting if he's going to feature and, given the recent performances of Mo'unga and Barrett, he can't have too many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Fair points. One of the benefits of having Savea at 8 is when he runs off the back of the scrum. He is so explosive and quick that he can often be past the opposition flanker and hitting the 10 before anyone can react. Against big packs, that front foot ball is invaluable I don't know if there is another 8 in the world that can do it as effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I thought he was well deserving of a start again. Didn't think Mo'unga was so markedly better, for me DMC offers a game breaking ability beyond his peers at the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NZ dont need a game breaking out half, they have game breakers all over the back line. What they need is an organising manager there, which mounga is better at that DMCK. and mounga is no slouch himself to break they line if hes given a shot.

yeah, he's lethal off the back and is also a great passer in that channel. See Jordan's try against Ireland. He's one of the best 8s in the world.

I completely agree with what you said about Savea strength off the scrum but at the same time you always have him at 7 and then every now and then have him fill in at 8 in order to break off the scrum. I always remember watching Squidge Rugby's review of Ireland NZL in 2019 and that was the first point he made was Savea's breaking off the scrum causing havoc for Ireland and in this game he played at 6. I just feel looking at this NZL pack what they are missing is a Kieran Read figure at 8 which I feel Jacobson would facilitate perfectly.

What will we possibly see?

Even if SA win the WC, it doesn't mean they didn't care about the game in NZ - like you've claimed.

• Advertisement

I didn't claim that. My point is they are possibky running through different aspects of the playbook.

Advertisement