Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And what do you think Farages end game is here?

That Banks should have no ability to manage their risk exposure from doing business with any type of person?

Is that a good idea, taken to its logical conclusion??

Or that no business should be allowed refuse access to anyone for any reason?

Not sure that places like the Bullingdon Club or most Golf Clubs would be too keen on that kind of change - LOTS of Tory voters there..

Or perhaps is it as he said himself yesterday - Water down the PEP rules and the Money-laundering rules?

Why would he single those two things out and not the other more mundane reasons that a bank might decide to not give someone an account?

The CEO of NatWest resigns and the CEO of Coutts resigns, but Nigel Farage was too poor to have a bank account and that's the real reason.

Utterly absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You need to write to the CEO of Coutts, bring him up to speed with this information and get him, if not too late, to withdraw his resignation.

He needs the up to date information that you have and his bank does not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where in the post that you quoted do I say that??

The poster claimed that it was a lie to say that Farages (comparative) lack of funds played a part in the decision.

It absolutely did , not the only part but a part none the less which is what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is your assertion not anyone else's, that dossier was an assessment of risk which fed into the ultimate decision.

None of this would have happened if his mortgage was still with Coutts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Farage has a good credit history and would be generally well off compared to more than half of the UK population. I can't see any reason why a bank let alone 10 banks (if Farage is telling the truth) would deny him an account with a checquebook and/or some level of credit based on his financial history.

It looks to me like they are basing their decision on his political views which I don't think should be the case. I don't align with his views but I don't think they are being fair to him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody can say for certain, not you nor me.

So you admit your assertions are baseless. But we knew that all along.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Christ.. I really don't know how you guys can read plain English and have it become something totally different in your brains.

The document gives TWO reasons for closing his account - It was no longer profitable AND Farage is a loud mouthed ring wing agitator whos public behaviour was a risk to the bank.

Multiple people here keep trying to claim that it can only be one or the other and cry foul when people draw their attention to the actual documented details that Farage himself published.

As I have said many times - Had Farage had a bit more money or been a little less controversial the risk assessment might have been that keeping his account was ok , but they decided overall he wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought you knew already what a non sequitur was how disappointing.

You didn't make a thread about it so why complain about it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Well it was not a very well carried out assessment of risk was it from the look of things. In the last couple of day's alone 2 CEO's have bit the dust and 2 banks reputations are in total tatters. Great job !

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

For sure.

2 CEOs don't resign from banks because Nigel Farage is insufficiently wealthy.

It's astonishing something so obvious even needs to be stated.

Lets be clear.

When the dossier was compiled and discussed in November 2022, Farage did meet the economic contribution criteria. Yet they then decided to put him on a 'glide path' out the door.

Sky news reporting on the dossier below.

Minutes from a meeting of the Coutts Wealth Reputational Risk Committee on 17 November 2022 reveal Mr Farage had personal and business accounts, as well as a mortgage.

It states at that point he "met the economic contribution (EC) criteria for commercial retention", which requires all Coutts customers to have at least £1m in investments or borrowing or £3m in savings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When his account was actually closed, he did not meet the criteria.

It's a joke that this thread is now almost 2,000 pages of Faragists spreading proven disinformation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Oh come off it, those are precisely economic and commercial viability issues: money is speech, and speech is money.

There's no way that Farage could accept the offer on that basis.

Why not? Is his money special? Each pound a little snowflake?

You have no rights to refuse service?

These are boutique services, gay wedding cake level stuff, not a pack of jaffa cakes off the shelf like every other account holder.

You have been spreading disinformation about Farage since the very inception of this thread, continuously linking Farage to "dirty money", fraud, and Russian money -- all of which have been debunked multiple times over.

You are in no position to accuse other posters of disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's already been pointed out in this thread it was known he had an account with Coutts since at least 2019 publicly.

• Advertisement

So why is he fighting so hard to bank with alleged gangsters?

These pithy responses only make the defenses of Farage more confounding.

Why couldn't Farage open a Natwest bank account?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

"(pure speculation, mind)"

Don't hurt yourself rapidash.

Your hatred for Farage is blinding you. I don't blame you for hating him by the way, but just take a step back, pause and look at the info out there.

I wasn't one of those who said Farage met the EC criteria when his account was closed. I simply don't know if he did or didn't meet the criteria in July 2023.

Even if Farage didn't have enough money in Coutts to maintain his account in July 2023, the decision to get rid of him was made on 17th November 2022 when he 100% did have enough money in his account to meet Coutt's financial requirements. The dossier confirms this. Therefore the decision to get rid of him was made for political reasons and not financial reasons. And as part of their plan to get rid of him, they also said they weren't going to renew his mortgage, thereby making it harder for him to meet the EC on purpose.

His political beliefs, his liking tweets referencing Ricky Gervais trans jokes etc. should have played no part in that decision but clearly they did. He was meeting the EC requirements, no issue there, the dossier confirms this, yet on 17th November 2022, while he met all the rules, they formulated a plan to get rid of him.

Farage is a cnut for sure, but the bank haven't behaved gloriously either.

You gonna be spreading the campaign updates on here Nige

Terry Pratchet

When the document was compiled , they knew exactly when his mortgage was due to end AND because they also see exactly how much money he has coming and going they could accurately project when he would cease to meet the Economic Contribution requirements for the account and knew that he was unlikely to be able to meet those requirements in future.

Based on those facts AND his controversial public profile they decided that he was no longer viable as a customer and they gave him 9 months notice of their plans.

Had Nigel Farage had truck loads of cash they likely wouldn't have given a damn about what he was saying or doing because he was profitable for them.

But , he wasn't going to be profitable AND he carried with him increased risk of negative impacts so they ended their relationship.

People really seem to struggle with the idea that it was the combination of those factors that resulted in the decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The same disinformation. I've already explain this above but there are literally hundreds of posts here regurgitating Farage's debunked lies at this point.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

So you're admitting his political views were at the very least the co-cause of Farage being debanked.

That's wrong.

How is it wrong? We can all read the same dossier.

• Advertisement

Except he wasn't debanked. He was offered a Natwest account. Why did you say he couldn't accept that?

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement