Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ennis is great if it's sunny. Just one big street of pubs with everyone outside have the craic. Plenty of handy public transport from the city too.

Only problem is it's probably the only place that ever truely sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

If tickets for next year's match went on sale this evening, they'd be sold out in a few minutes.

Was looking at the club championship fixtures this morning.

NaP vs The Well to kick it all off on a Friday night in Claughaun.

Some crazy matchups there if everyone is at full strength. All Stars all over the pitch tearing into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Tough going for David Reidy and Nickie Quaid who are due to play this Sunday in the Premier Intermediate........

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I was thinking that. Will they definitely start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Rosita

The biggest challenge for Limerick will be the attrition of the Munster championship. Kilkenny and Galway already know they are playing essentially an All Ireland quarter final when they meet in the Leinster final with the losers getting another shot at it anyway. As we saw this year, and it's fine to talk about "peaking" for Croke Park but Munster can be tricky. I reckon Cork would beat Kilkenny just as they did in the 2021 semi final but they couldn't get out of Munster.

Not too many were talking about Limerick looking set to dominate for a few more years before the All Ireland semi-final. Last year's semi-final was referenced and Galway were supposed to be a huge test. Jamesie O'Connor predicted Galway to win. Likewise the All-Ireland final was supposed to be a puck of a ball. Immediately after the All Ireland is rarely a good time to judge prospects.

Avoiding injuries will be a key thing. Munster allows little room for recovery or fielding a weakened team knowing you'll win. That more than any single county will be Limerick's most difficult opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Exactly, it will be Kilkenny and Galway again next year, so what they be preparing for would at least be a quarter final spot again, different with Munster though, and as you stated injuries is the biggest hurdle

4 years of round robin and Galway only qualified in 3.

4 years of round robin and Limerick qualified in 4.

So the provincials are easier for us than Galway 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭High bike

Ah but sure we have loads of money,we're allowed throw the ball,we had a camera in the Hogan for analysis,we came out 70 seconds late for the second half of the semi final,Nickie stopped play to fix his contact,we play on the edge,we wouldn't play with the wind in the 1st half on Sunday which was totally unfair,Kk didn't get a 65 which seemingly was much more important than the one in 2019 when we were beaten a point,oh and the latest breaking news Limerick take performance enhancing drugs.Jaysus lads u couldn't make it up,feel free to add any other reasons to the above to explain 5 out of 6 All Irelands apart from the fact we have the best hurlers and management team as that doesn't count.Enjoy the celebrations people we waited long enough,looking forward to next year already.Luimneach abu

So you reckon the 2019 was actually Limerick's? You'll be house-trained soon, Dan, if you're not careful.

• Advertisement

What else are they going to come up with 😂 any fear that we just have a good team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭High bike

The camera thing is hilarious.

Mostly hilarious that it has taken this long for someone to "think up" an idea that is already common in some any other sports.

Can't wait for the day a hurling manager decides to sit in the stand like a rugby manager and then has to be marched to the Wicklow mountains to be burned in a giant Wicker Man.

Unlike Kilkenny and Galway, they could rest players going through the provincial’s, playing weaker teams, but with limerick, you have to be putting out your best 15 from the word go . We see this year how close it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbh I cringe when anyone predicts Galway (I'm from Galway)to win against decent opposition in a knockout match, let alone against Limerick, one of, if not the best team ever, we are just so inconsistent. I just can't understand how anyone could have predicted Galway to beat Limerick, pretty much everyone in Galway travelled in hope, but, with very little expectation for the semi final. I think Kilkenny's performance in last year's final, raised expectations that they might be able to put in a similar performance, plus they are Kilkenny, so they are always expected to perform.

Galway would struggle to beat any of the Munster teams (apart from Tipp, who we have no trouble raising our game for).We struggle to beat the likes of Dublin and Wexford, so how can we be expected to beat a team like Limerick! Kilkenny are at a similar level to us, but, have more belief and that never say die attitude that all Kilkenny teams have, which works against most teams. I'd agree that getting our of Munster is likely to be Limerick's most difficult task, once ye get to Croke Park ye really open up.

Ya but look on the bright side.

Would you rather a season of trips to Westmeath, Offaly and Antrim. Munster is hell but the fun of sport is the danger of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Might be naive but I think we'll be fine in Munster next year... I'd expect Reidy and Quaid to play this weekend which is a bit disappointing to see. Surely they could have had one extra week to enjoy their All Ireland win.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

I loved Galway a few years ago but at the moment they are a little over rated. They certainly have quality but they don't have the quality that they used to have. They must win Leinster next year and will be under pressure to do so if Shefflin is to stay. Whelan is a super player though, no idea what Tyrrell was on about before the Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Every manager has someone in the stand - they're all mic'd to a manager or the coach - usually the coach. That's a club level thing for a long time, never mind county level. If you paid more intention to hurling rather rugby you'd know that. But that's your own decision.

It was more out of a desperation that there was somebody to take on Limerick rather than anything else. It's hard when there's no decent challenge there. Clare seem to fall apart in believe when they get outside of Munster. Limerick grow in stature. In fairness, there's a maturity to their hurling this year that means they're entering their peak. That could last four years - who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

I'd say they'll probably have to given how competitive a championship it is.....very harsh scheduling you'd have to say.

I don't really watch much rugby at all it. I was joke making a joke about people whinging

And seeing it's so common why are you the one who made a comment about it like it was news ?

Being told I don't know about hurling by a fella thinks Bubbles the most skillful player of all time 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not guaranteed. It took a flat-out second half performance from Galway to draw with Dublin and thus avoid missing out on the Leinster final spot. Equally, had Wexford not contrived to lose a match they should have won handy against Dublin in the group stages, they rather than Kilkenny would have been in the provincial final.

Lot of permutations in Leinster next year. Wexford will be under new management, Dublin should see a second-season improvement under Donoghue, Kilkenny have a fair mixture of aging players and younger ones, especially forwards, not good enough (as seen in the final last Sunday), so need to rebuild. Galway also need to rebuild; there's good quality there but Shefflin has to have courage and drop some of the older, established players and give these their chance.

It is more or less guaranteed. It's so guaranteed that Kilkenny failed to beat Galway or Wexford in the round robin in the last few years (which emphasises how ordinary they have become in recent years even though few seem to realise it) and still won the Leinster Final. Kilkenny are guaranteed to win three games. Galway the same. That takes you a long way when they others are so up and down. Dublin drew with Antrim, Wexford lost to Westmeath. Galway and Kilkenny mightn't be great but they'll not have those results.

They were in the last three Leinster Finals and they'll be there again next year.

Just to let you know.

I know you're joking, as was I, but I'll bite. Wouldn't be my opinion - actually never wrote that - but it might be some people's opinion. I've heard Eoin Kelly say it.

For me, Brendan Cummins would be the most skillful player I've ever seen for a number of reasons - including what I've seen him do in poc fada, football, and hurling. Just haven't seen such an all-around skillset in a player before. But I've seen more of him around Tipp than a lot of players who I wouldn't see so much around the country. And I don't think it's possible to be the most skillful player player at a time or ever either. It's more a level you reach rather than one player out on their own. There are a few in every county who reach a level above everyone else in terms of hands. And I think when it comes to skill in hurling, usually we mean hands and wrists usage with the hurley. That said, hurling is changing big time in the last ten years. If you look at players like Callanan and Gillane in their prime, their running off the ball before possession is at a skill level rarely seen in other players. It's probably the top skill for a forward now given how compact the zones are. It's getting like watching a wide receiver in the NFL.

"I see Limerick are putting cameras up in the press box for a view of the entire field"

That was you on the All Ireland thread after the match. It's not a quote either but the entire post.

No reason to post that if "everyone is doing it" and it comes across as another snide comment about "professional Limerick".

You also had a whole thread badgering anyone you didn't think Bubbles was one of the "most skillful players ever" so go away and fek off now or actually stand behind the things you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

He also started a thread about the dreadful abuse of referees but when Liam Cahill was sanctioned for abusing the ref it was wrong…amazing double standards really.

Des Cahill said that on RTE and it was confirmed by others in the media. A fact. It's completely different to having a person in the stand and communicating with them via microphone. They're the only ones putting cameras in the media box. What's so hard to understand the difference there? Hardly a big deal to note that if others have on radio and in podcasts. If you want to read some paranoid bullshit into it, fair play, enjoy.

I had a thread celebrating Bubbles as a player. You took offence to that and decided to try and wreck it and a few other posters joined in. I don't see what it has to do with you? Why would it bother you? Laughable.

It's not your job or business to tell me where to go. Your interpretations are your own. And pretty negative if I may say so.

You have a very short memory for someone who is commenting on the recent championship. Liam Cahill won his appeal on this as there was no evidence to back up the referee. (You can google this like I did just now)

Quite remarkable really as these are usually done on technicalities but there was no evidence that Cahill abused the referee. So there are no double standards from the other poster.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have saw that only for you quoted it. But we both know that poster's perpetual chasing of posters across threads. Sad business. Who has time for grudges? Just use the ignore button.

Advertisement