Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot receive texts on my Xcover4 Samsung phone

Options
  • 27-07-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

This is a refurbished phone I just bought and I seem to have this problem of neither receiving nor sending texts.

It works perfectly otherwise but I wonder is this a common problem with phones or might I possibly be doing something wrong.

Every phone is different but my other phone is s Samsung Galaxy J3 which is very similar and texts work fine with it (and always have -I have had it over 5 years)

If the problem lies with the phone rather than me I may well ask for a replacement as codes are generally sent by text and so this limits the phones usefulness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

When last did you top up? Are calls working? What happens when you try to send a message? Does it say message sending failed?

Check that the message center number is entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

Hi,thanks for answering.

Yes there is something weird about topping up.

I topped up by 20eu on the 15th )also on the 4th by the same amount),assuming I would get free internet and calls for a month.

Instead the credit I had went down by 2eu a day and now I have 1.99 left.

I wonder if the plan I was on was somehow superannuated by I don't see how that affects receiving or sending texts

It works grand as a phone and although mobile internet is out of credit the wifi works ok

Yes when I try to send s text it says message failed and when I try to send it a text from another phone or using webtext I just don't see anything coming through

It might make sense if the phone was faulty but I have never heard of this as a fault that can happen....yet

When I use webtext I get the "message successfully sent" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

2 euro a day sounds like you don't have data included on your plan. Perhaps texts aren't either. You might have reset your plan topping up a 2nd time. What's the name of your plan.

It says"You're of free calls and texts and mobile internet offer"

It goes on to 2eu a day after the 28 days is up and the offer is out of date.

But I topped up by 20eu on the 15th so the offer should be in date still.

What's the name of the plan ..

• Advertisement

That is how it describes it on the vodafone site when I login with my number.

There is a small area that say Change Top Up offer with an arrow.

But it says beneath that Iam on Free Calla and texts and mobile internet.

No name as such.

Actually I see it now when I click on the arrow .It is FCAT_MI offer

It also says it is not activated yet (even though I topped up by 20 on the 15th)

Found this...

"...AFAIK it's the default plan for SIMs that aren't opted in to any of the plans from the last few years.

Think it's an abbreviation of "Free Calls And Texts, Mobile Internet" and includes calls and texts to Vodafone mobiles and 250 MB. It's not really of much use as it's almost impossible to know if the number called/texted is also Vodafone unless they're family/friends. The 250MB is better than nothing but not by much. Those benefits expire after 28 days.

Anyway, it shouldn't take your credit, whatever you topped up by should be there as credit. The credit remains beyond the 28 days.

Text BAL to 50233 to check credit balance. It should also be shown on my Vodafone portal..."

If this an old SIM?

If you are on the above then moving to chat extra would be a no brainer provided your not worried about the top-up being taken to activate the plan every 28 days.

10GB 4G Data

Unlimited national any network calls and texts

Yes it is an old sim from a dumb phone that the vodafone store cut to size when I got the Samsung Xcover4 this month.

I can't access Chat because ,ironically they send you a text when you are put through to a human.

I might try it from a different sim later

• Advertisement

Do you need to keep the phone number?

Not sure I follow. I actually have two numbers .One is private and the other is the phone that I might need to use for receiving codes from websites like PayPal and so I can't part with it unless I reorganize things and hopefully don't forget an app or a site that needs to contact that number

I can shift the sims between the devices but I am not sure if that helps at all.

The phone number attached. To the SIM your asking about.

That's a very old phone and old SIM. Why did you buy such an old phone.

You need to set the SMS settings for Vodafone on the phone. Better still go back to the store and ask them to set it up.

Then go and change the plan on the website.

There are cheaper plans than Vodafone.

I originally got it for a friend for whom it would be the first smartphone and it was the same size and make as my own which she had been borrowing on and off till then.

When I got it I took a fancy to it as it was much quicker and the screen was in good order ,unlike my old cracked one.

So I kept it for myself and migrated my sim from the old dumb phone.

I was happy to get a refurbished phone and ,looking through what was on offer most seemed quite old (around 2017)

I will have to look into setting the SMS settings for Vodafone on this phone as you suggest (the nearest Vodafone shop is 50 miles away and I may have to do it myself if it is necessary -but I only do PAYG if that matters)

Advertisement