Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Historical Bank Statements from AIB?

• 27-07-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have done all my banking with AIB for last 30 years.

Circumstances mean I need to get all of my historical bank statements from AIB going back to the year 2000.

I have heard that you can print off your online banking Statements from AIB from around 2014 when internet banking options emerged…….however is it possible to order copies of bank statements going back as far as 2000 for example?

And if that’s possible is there any major surcharge involved?

I also am missing a few used chequebooks from around 2008 and am wondering if AIB will be able to go back and identify the amounts and whoever received payments for cheques I wrote from those few chequebooks?

Am going to go into my local AIB branch at the earliest opportunity next week to set this in motion but would really appreciate any advice or feedback from people from a banking or business background who would have a basic knowledge of answers to questions I have posed.If nothing else to put my mind at rest that it can be done 🙂

Many thanks.

B.L.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally Irish banks don't hold more than 12 years and GDPR has reduced this to, usually, 7.

If you've used the same online banking for that long, older stuff may be present, but its because its being kept for that specific purpose - they wouldn't be able to re-generate those statements. My oldest credit card statement online is April '14 when I've had a card with that bank since 2005. So I have more than 7 but nowhere near the 18 I would have got by post (until they stopped posting them).

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cal naughton

I'd say that is going to cost you! I had a look at the aib fees and charges brochure on the website and is costs €3.00 per page! . Sounds like you need it for the tax man so maybe make a data request for all the data they hold on file for you and mention the statements that way. Might be a way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks very much,this is an example of how Boards.ie is a great Community to share useful info etc.

Will go into local Branch next week and if they are putting up some red lights about making the necessary Statements available I will quote this ruling🙂

Had feared that there would probably be steep surcharges to get the necessary info alright,more price gouging by our lenders.Nothing exciting like needing it for the taxman thankfully,moreso to be able to show a good record of paying fully for different things over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is a pre-GDPR article (it is 11 years old); so its contents are useless. GDPR has ensured that the data is gone and inaccessible no matter what ruling you quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Madd002

By law for revenue etc. you need to keep all paperwork for 6 years including current year. Why you need to go back 23 years is insane, if you do manage to get them statements the cheque numbers your missing will show up on these and who they were paid to eg. 22/03/2023 Chq 1234 Autotrader €400 that's what used to appear on our statements not sure with AIB though.

Thanks for pointing that out…..so for arguments sake how in post GDPR times will future tribunals like the Ansbacher ones from the past be able to do a forensic financial trawl on Banking info from pre GDPR times?……not being pedantic btw just saying surely there have to be ways of getting relevant info on your own financial affairs…..even if you had to resort to employing a Solicitor to do it for you.

And I’m just posing that as a genuine question……in my case I need to back up factual historical payments with hard evidence of them (which I would have hoped a Bank would provide)

Thanks everyone for your feedback……will come back with an update when I have chatted to the Bank.

Far from insane unfortunately 😂……given we are on a public forum I can’t say much but suffice to say it’s to indicate how I consistently paid for different things which is being disputed by other parties……and I know I did so…..just need to back that up now…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Madd002

I meant insane as to who would ask after all these years, but I get where your coming from if you in that situation, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

To clarify a few things - it's not a ruling it's a newspaper article about a particular individual's experience five years before the current legislation was implemented.

There a couple of things you need to keep in mind:

• Businesses including banks cannot continue to hold your data after the period where it is needed for them to conduct business and the penalties are such that most business including the bank have procedures in place to sanitise their files on a regular basis. So you can expect that a bank will only have long term data on products like mortgages and long term loans, documentation on products that have been in dispute for some time and only more recent data on products such as savings & current accounts. Anything else is a bonus.
    • And the next thing is that the GDPR legislation is there to protect your data, not to allow you to circumvent the normal fees for obtaining such data. That means that while you are entitled to the data they have on you, there is not obligation on them to recreated and deliver up documents such as statements etc that they no longer have. So it is very possible that all you will get is an unformatted printout of whatever computer records they have.
    • Another think to keep in mind is that everyone including the banks are entitled to their legal defence and that could mean that were you to use the data obtain via the GDPR legislation in a court case, where a discover order would normally be required to obtain it, then you leave the door open for the company that delivered up the said to data to argue for it's exclusion from the case if it would normally be refused in such situations. So in such circumstances I'd advise you contact a solicitor before taking such steps.

In my opinion, unless you are very luck or you have been in significant disputes with the bank over the past 25 years, it is very unlikely they will have usable data stretching back over such a period. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sooty19

Not with AIB - just the cheque number and amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Obvious question that nobody has asked

Why didn't you retain the original statements?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not relevant. You can't change the past, so there is no point gong into it.

Advertisement