Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

@witnessmenow Lumen is dead right, it's not too slow. If it feels really easy then you are in the right spot. Don't be hung up too much on the HR metrics, certainly not 4 weeks into a marathon plan, just getting out and running lots of slow easy miles will get you to a great marathon. Based on your HM time, 7.30 is spot on for easy pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Very useful posts on the belt and fuelling - thanks to all the posters. I've just placed an order with Decathlon for the belt, a soft flask and a multi-pack of energy gels !

I've managed so far on my long runs without gels or water but with 15 miles+ on the horizon I know I need to change that. For the 10 miler in the park I took on water at the water stations but as it was in paper cups most of it missed my mouth and ended up all over my (already soaked from the rain) top 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

Hi,I just got a transfer for my first marathon so I’m in the market for for a watch-would you take something for it? That’s very kind of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi, I’m a bit confused? Are you looking for a watch recommendation or for somebody selling one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Definitely worth training the body into having fuel while running. Also, I believe from a recovery point of view that it is better to be well fuelled before and during your runs. You’ll find you’re not so tired afterwards and more ready to face into the next week. Keeping glycogen levels up really helps with that whereas if you are doing long runs without fuel you are depleting glycogen levels in your muscles and possibly exhausted. During marathon training when you one heavy week after the other you want to recover as fast possible after runs. Fuelling will help that. As your long runs get longer you could consider an extra slice of toast the day before or some rice cakes and that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Hi all, I just took a transfer spot for my first marathon is it too late to join the group.

Would be great to have somewhere to bounce questions from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Never too late! You are more than welcome. Would you be able to answer the questions on the first post on the thread to give us an idea where you are at?

Sure.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Did kilkee 10k in 53mins in July 23

Parkrun not sure if that count in 24:10

Did one hm last year was very bad and finished in 2:30ish

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No but will walk or stretch if I ever feel the need.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Been running every day since mid April so 7 days a week one 10k usually at a tempo pace and one 5k at race pace rest of the days are very easy runs of 4-7k total 40k most weeks.

I also do 2 days a week of squats and weights as I find it keeps the niggles at bay.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream would be 4:10.

I'd like 4:30 but will be happy under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Plan on continuing to run 7 days as I like the daily morning habit. Plan to drop the speed 5k and replace with an easy run and do Sunday lsr building up to 30k with 3 weeks to go to the marathon.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

I'm a heavy runner 6foot and about 108kg so worry that the weight will impact the feet and joints as the distance rolls on.

Why are you running this marathon?

Something I'd like to do and I hear the atmosphere is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I'm also late to the party, would it be ok to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Of course it would. If you could answer the few questions in the first post that would be brilliant.

For yourself and anyone else who has joined up recently we have a Strava group set up. Just PM any of myself, MisterJinx or Kellygirl with your real name and then request to join the group. It's a useful way for us to see your training. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

Welcome to those just joining us.

This weeks training felt a bit more real for me with the 24km lsr looming, it’s defo ramped up a bit 😅

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 5 runs this week. Really enjoyed the strides again, nice to do something different.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes, all easy runs done around 7/km feel like I have a handle on the slower running now.

Did my LSR this morning pace was 6.46/km. Longest I’ve run in a while and legs felt quite tired in places but overall it was a nice run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k - 25:06 (2023)

10k - 53:30 - (2019)

1/2 - 2:12:24 - (2022) 

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? 

No

How much training do you currently do? 

Following the boards plan but I'm a week or two behind the long run distance

35 - 40 km a week typically 

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Just want to finish, only have one half marathon under my belt so far so don't mind too much about the pace, just want to get over the line 

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Much as I need, Boards plan 

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury preventing me from doing the race

Why are you running this marathon?

Cross it off the list before injury precludes me from it 

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 7 runs this week totalled 50k as I planned following my own plan though so hope it's OK.

Kind off I raced a parkrun on Saturday and got a new pb 24:10. Probably won't max race another one now until after the marathon just treat them as controlled speed sessions.

Did 16k this evening as a lsr avg pace was about 6:30 which is on the fast side but avg hr was low at 119 so happy with that.

Im wearing the alphaflys for the lsr as I'm worried about injury as the runs get longer as I've previously broken an ankle on one leg and a metatarsal on the other leg and I find it much easier running with on my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Welcome to everyone joining us 😃

WEEK 5 UPDATE

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 6 runs this week, 56.5km. My tired calves became a real distraction but the foam rolling suggestion from @MisterJinx worked a dream. Gonna try do it daily. New runners broken in, although got a small blister on corner of third toe during lsr. Hopefully it doesn't develop further.

Yes, I think so. I've been around 7.30p/km but the tired calves really made me question if that was too fast for 6 runs per week, and I considered going slower. I think with the foam rolling success I'm back on track.

The strides on Wednesday were a nice addition to the run.

For the lsr I decided to break it into 3 parts of 8km, psychologically. I used the route planner that @skyblue46 linked earlier,.such a good tool. I parked the car at a point and then I ran from and to it 3 times in different directions. I took a gel after the first 8km and scoffed a banana at the 16th. There were all weathers - heavy rain, heat /sun and high winds. I had 2 urgent bathroom events that I won't go into, but suffice it to say the situation is starting to stress me out a little on runs. I'm proud that I deviated from my well worn route a bit, as I'm a terrible creature of habit and the urgent events are exacerbating that. I think I've just stumbled upon my new 'stress dream' - DCM laughing stock due to unruly bowel 😆😆😆, think I'd rather stick with night before leaving Cert Gaelige exam and haven't opened a book! I still have that dream and I did my LC in the 20th century! 🤣

anyway...

Up the yard, Week 6!!

Great stuff legits, fine if you are doing your own plan but 16k is a little behind where we would want you to be in the lsr. Also a bit like another novice here you shouldn't be racing at 5ks or speed work, it's not what is going to get you across the line for a marathon, what you need right now is long endurance runs, not speed work. I know it's counter intuitive but the lsr's will make you faster not speed sessions. Concentrate on distance and time on feet.

Great to have you on board. Looks like you had a good week there and you've done good times in the shorter distance.

• Advertisement

Good call on mentally breaking the long run up into bits studded chunks! Lol on the stress dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

That is also the fear I was talking about a few weeks ago! People say what's the worst that could happen doing the marathon, that!

According to last year's map, there are toilet facilities every 4-5km on the route so it's pretty frequent.

Worth taking it into consideration for your longer runs though and having a plan. I do also try do some stretches at home before my runs to see if there is any movement

I don't disagree with any of that but the HH boards plan was only up at 16k for the LSR this week , and steps back next week! Was one of the reasons why I didn't like it.

I have just been bringing water for my longer runs over 10k should I be getting gels?

Any advice on them I generally have a strong stomach and enjoy caffeine. Should I take them every 5k so for a 20k run plan would be to take them at 5 10 and 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

(insert standard marathon-noob advice disclaimer)

This is a somewhat contested issue. IMO you shouldn't feel that you have to be be chucking gels down your throat, and I think they're fairly pointless/counterproductive for shorter easy runs, but it is uncontroversial that if you're going to do it on race day then you should practice/experiment in training.

Personal opinion: I prefer exercising without gels and dealing with the fatigue afterwards. To me, it feels like the empty-refill cycle is a positive thing for my confidence and wellbeing, rather than trying to stay constantly topped up, but I almost never do more than 8 hours of training a week for a sustained period, which is absolutely no where near the limit of what's possible. I know that there are people (particularly some cyclists and multi-sport athletes) who do absolutely monstrous training loads (like many hours a week of high aerobic) which would not be sustainable without rigorous and constant "fuelling" as they say, and there is a load of sports science to back this up. I don't want to live like that, but a couple of gels on a long run (and one before, if fasted) is sensible. I wouldn't not use caffeine gels for all of them though, at most the first one and the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

100% try gels more than once during this block, on 20ks is a good start. There are many reasons, not least how they sit in your stomach but the simple things like opening it up and getting it into you. Try some different gels, different flavors. Some gels are runnier and leave your hand sticky if you are not careful, some caffeine gels are heavier on your stomach. One thing I discovered over time is the best way to take a gel is slowly, open it, take a bit, have a little drink, wait a while then take another bit , another drink, I usually take about 500 meters for a gel. Although hydro gels don't require as much water,

at 5, 10 and 15 is fine, I know I'm repeating what the mentors have said a 1000 times but its important to try the routine, everything from the breakfast you intend to eat, the time between breakfast and running, when you take gels. Does a cup of coffee help the bodily functions pre run?. I find anything fatty is not conducive to a good run, simple carbs, brown bread and jam is perfect. For me I also like to take a Maurten 320 drink between breakfast and the marathon(which is usually 2.5 hours between breakfast and race) and a gel 10 minutes before the Marathon. Everyone is different so practice, practice, practice.

Try to leave as little as possible to the run gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I take gels on my long run of the week to practise with them as much as anything. I did 20k at the weekend and took two gels. I did 3 at a recent half marathon and felt it was a little much for me, but maybe it will work for you

One issue I have with gels, is it's kind of impossible to know in some ways how good, bad or indifferent of a benifit they are having to you on that run, because there are other factors that impact how you feel too. Like if I run 20k this week and same next week and I do the same thing with gels, I could feel completely different in terms of it being easier or harder (maybe your more tired/stressed sore whatever) So if I changed my gel strategy between the two weeks, it's not necessarily the gels that's making the difference, so it's quite difficult to figure out what strategy to go with.

You'd nearly need to clone yourself on one run and see how it feels!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Week 5 (24th - 30th):

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 5 runs in this week (Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat LSR, short recovery Sunday) totalling out at 50km.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? Yeah happy with all the runs midweek pace wise; the LSR 24km on Sat morning was completed at 6.40/km avg pace so bit too quick but felt relatively finefor the most of it. Plenty of sunshine and wind! Didn't take any water/gel during it but def noticed after 18/19Km I could have done with water at the very least.. just bad planning my side!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

One of the entertaining aspects of following you lot on Strava is seeing the difference in reactions to the long runs.

Normal friends: OMG you're amazing! Or going to die! This is brilliant or terrible!

Fellow travellers: thumbs up for doing the thing on the spreadsheet I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got out for three runs (3, 6, & 12 km) for a total of 21 km and no hip issues so I think we're back in business 🤞

Obviously don't know for sure as I don't know what caused the issue exactly but will keep up the exercises and stretches I found most useful over the last 2 weeks.

Plan for this week is to get mostly back on plan but with a slightly reduced long run. Days will be a bit missed up as I'll be travelling but will still aim to get 5 days of running in.

• Advertisement

WEEK 6😀

After this week we will be 1/3 of the way through the plans - the time really is racing by. Well done on getting this far - week 5 saw many of you running distances you've never ran before - super stuff! I'm pleased to see that most of our advice regarding pacing and training is sinking in - you are training for a marathon and yes it is hard work and requires sacrifice, but it will be worth it.

Great to see the recaps coming in, I'm away at the moment but will try to get back to you if you've posted any questions!

So onto week 6:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|5m easy|3m easy|rest|7m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec

This week is a step-back week for the HH followers, with the LSR a paltry 7 miles 

Weeks like this are dotted throughout the plans, usually every third week. These weeks are a very important part of a training block, as they allow us to refresh before the next increase in mileage.

For the Boards crew there is a slight increase in mileage this week, with the LSR out to 16 miles. Note that the midweek run is 5 miles at PMP, plus a mile each of warm-up and cooldown. Please keep PMP (and all training paces) realistic and in line with current fitness.

Well done to everyone so far with some great training being done, you should be very proud of the hard work & commitment you have put in so far!! Very best of luck with this weeks training and fingers crossed the weather improves a bit.

Advertisement