Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All very well till your audited ….small one offs I’d get over giving cash but if work any way half regular better register properly and put it thru books the proper way 2 lads here during spring and regular relief Milker all thru books all legit and all happy …..

It is and more fool whoever is paying it ….leaving yourself wide open

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's all about supply and demand. If a lad wants 20+ euro an hour net to milk cows outside his normal job there is a couple of way to pay him. Pay 40-50 though the books or pay him 20 an hour cash.

I have had this debate with my in-laws over the cost of a plumber to fix a leak or replace a tap. As I pointed out the time on site is only part of the consideration as he has to get to the next job and also collect equipment and pay for tools

I do not like paying cash either. But I understand I have to pay a premium for to put some jobs through the books.

I make the decision as to which makes the most sense. Mostly it's to put it through the books but I understand about having to sometimes I have to pay a premium

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Everything is put down exactly as it’s used here, read my post again

its not my job to make sure they pay there tax

my accountant has made sure it’s correct. His accounts are as good as a set of audited accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Like I said have family and friends building, without exception the labour content of the builds is almost entirely cash. All of them would be getting self build mortgages, a rated homes fully certified by engineers, who by the way are looking for cash aswell, architects cash.. how revenue are letting it go is beyond me it's absolutely rife with one off house builds..like gtm says they can't get cash off the big sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

When solicitors regularly ask for cash you know there is no law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have you got invoices etc of the lads doing the work with their registered vat number etc and cash paid accounted for and wrote on invoice, if your using mortgage money drawn down their probably is zero issue, but if trying to expense it to farm accounts without the above your accountant is horsing

It’s a very grey area tho in an audit ….if just paying a guy direct he is treated as a contractor and u need a receipt to show same ….most won’t give any receipt in case there caught ….I even asked if I could just pay employers Prsi and leave whoever did job pay his own tax ….u can but can u be Sure he will pay the tax ….I know of one case like this and landed both sides in bother with revenue when he was audited …..revenue not someone u want looking for gaps in accounts

just agree a gross wage both sides happy with and it’s clean …gets messy if it’s net figure as guy working for you may have very little credits if any to allocate to you as he has them given elsewhere …..20 euro an hour rate could end up costing you 40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Had the same experience here with tradesmen. Gave me two prices. If I have to pay tax your paying it they said.

None of it was used as an expense to offset tax. Building materials, block layer, plumber, electrician all that money is down in the bank account and accounts as to where it went

• Advertisement

With trades people it's a double whammy add 13.5% vat into the equation

For a lot of handy men that the risk as well. There fear is they end up vat registered.

For lads doing a few milking of they were cute they would register as a sole trader write off the part of the phone and car costs, charge a bit extra an hour self access and work the system.

Biggest issue issue is many are not too computer savvy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Grand how many cows. how long in total does it take you .... Will it be cash ....

Revenue play waiting game. There is no point in catching a lad for 3-5k or even a bit more it would seldom cover a revenue audit costs.

They normally target a sector and hit it hard so the word gets out. An electrician who got audited told me they looked for all his electrical compliance certificates and a payment for them all. It would be similar with solicitors and engineers.

The real sting is if you not vat registered and are over the vat registeration limits

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

My teagasc man tells there is alot of his dairy customers hanging up their clusters. Good operators and not that old but just sick of all the regs and the whole thing. They wouldn't like to see their children doing what they do. I'd say he seemed concerned for his own job.

If this dairy exit scheme happens I reckon there will be serious interest ….im farming since I was a young lad ….in my own right since 2010 and the changes even since 2010 are huge ….the changes happening now and what’s proposed will be bigger again and will drastically change the landscape for anyone milking cows expansion as we’ve become accustomed to since quota abolition won’t be possible and a lot of heavily borrowed new entrants especially are in for very rocky ride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

The land of milk and honey .........let ye keep working on the promise of 💰. Was a saying an old timer who did bits and pieces with farmers and contractors use 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A mechanic from Wicklow happened to be in the yard here recently.

He sold haylage delivered locally for €55. What he's doing for the last number of years and he said there's more farmers around going the route. Is buy a few cattle when grass comes in Spring. Make silage or haylage in summer and sell. Then sell the cattle in the autumn. He has no cattle for the winter. So no work. Solves lots on nitrates too.

If a farmer or stud owner bought 250 bales off him that's €13,750.

You'd be cracked giving that amount of money for 250 bales. But you'd be cracked not to be selling 250 bales if you got that money.

There's lots looking at easier options.

If it good haylage and he is replacing the nutrients he probably had 15/ bale out of it last year after delivery costs. So about 3-4k of a net margin.

Lads have a mortal fear of keeping cattle over the winter. I find they are the only ones that pay. Last couple of years serious money made summer grazing. This year will be break even at best for many.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Just supposing I get in a few young lads in college to milk at weekends, holidays etc. and pay by bank transfer, do they have to go on my books or is there on onus on them to look after their own tax? Is there some exempt threshold or anything to cover occasional workers like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

What difference does it make paying a builder for a house. It's the builder that's in the wrong

• Advertisement

Glanbia cenus out this week, asking would you be interested in the dairy reduction or exit scheme

how many cows you would reduce by etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

My vet said the same to me recently re his business going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

My vets 5 kids all got north of 600 points in the leaving cert. 1 doctor, 1 solicitor, 1 dentist and 2 actuaries. None even contemplated being a vet.

Legally they have to be registered and revenue notified before there paid …..unless there treated (and they trade as a contractor )and invoice u for work …..there is a threshold I think up to what u can pay wages unvouched …not 💯 but in audit scenario if it was regular enough and up to limit could set alarms off …..wage slips and all have to be given now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Where do they spend all the cash? Whatever about a few grand here or there, or working around the edges with expenses to reduce tax. But large amounts of cash aren't very useful unless building a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

No wonder they didn’t go vetting, when they.seen all the father had to do to keep a business going. Most young vets want 8 to 5.30 work or into the Department to answer phones or small animals, our vet practice was started by main man who now is 74 years old and still doing as he calls it light work testing and vet work for all the old clients, there is 6 vets working and 3 shops in the practice now. The main man is still the go to man for everything, the knowledge up to date, the work at the weekend for the part time farmer, what dose/ vaccine to give to animals. As a neighbour says his headstone will carry the words ring me at any time and no rush we have plenty of time, this type vet is a thing of the past and farmers are going to struggle into the future, this practice has being sold to a UK company recently by the partners that bought out the old vet.

There is a lot of older dairy men with no family interested in milking cow’s going forward and labour hard to get, one neighbour has two sons and a daughter and the only one interested is a 16 year old grandson who helps at the weekend. The day always comes on dairy farms where lads get fed up milking, another neighbour is giving up doing the milking at drying off and he is 74 years old the son does all the other work and hates milking and looking for a milker for next spring and if doesn’t find one he say he will get out. Dairy is a 7 day job and new entrants are finding this hard to get relief milkers.

Reality is far easier money and better hours elsewhere …better option for successor could be contract rearing or beef cattle if they want to stay farming and work off farm

lads with high staff turnover usually pigs to work for …pay buttons and expect the world from lads …..heard more bad stories from lads on placement and how they were treated and what was expected of them

Agree what your saying about easier money, the guy that doesn’t like milking is talking about contract rearing or going into incalf heifer job of buying calves and bringing then to point, as for the pigs expecting lads to work for nothing they are everywhere, and the days of treating lads like dirt is gone, back in the day of the old farm apprentice that was some hardship if you drew one the important dairy farms you were a slave and turned so many lad’s away from farming. Like the lads complaining about relief milkers looking for too much money, what would they want for to go and do milking for someone else, milked cows for a good number of years outside the day job in all types of parlours and had lads ask why won’t you milk for me and the quick answer always was would you milk for you in your parlour end of conversation.

• Advertisement

Big problem with lot of farmers is they know nothing only working for themselves and no idea what it’s like to be an employee …..no young farmer should go straight home out of school without working in other sectors

even still you hear of lads on work experience from college and some of the dogs there sent to …what they expect of them …how there treated and give them nothing only the pittance in a wage they can get away with and it’s not confined to the older farmers lots of younger new entrants are as bad

Advertisement