Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's hardly genius though, it was obvious from the get go it was going to be a big scandal for Nat West.

Some people actively chose to look at it in a bizarre way once they saw the name Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its called insider trading and its illegal.

I would imagine that if Farage was foolish enough to sue Coutts he might get an unexpected surprise when a few quiet words were whispered in the serious freud offices ear. He's messing in the land of the funny handshakes.

Yes, and making money is not illegal. Coutts inflicted upon themselves a preventable wound; they can't now complain if some financially savvy people exploited their stupidity.

In other news, Farage is doubling down on his war against the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow, so it sounds very unlike the experience I had walking into AIB as a middling teenager and opened up a youths account.

If they don't cater to these types of accounts, how could anyone call a Coutts account a 'bank account' and try to conflate it with chequing etc. and then deign to call others stupid or accusing them of acting the bollocks for pointing out this misrepresentation is beyond me.

Andrew Neil continues to take quite a lot of heat and hate for defending Farage during this scandal.

Neil isn't even a fan of Farage but he understands perfectly well the importance that banks should not determine eligibility based on a client's personal and political opinions.

Lately, he tackled exactly the same myth that has been spread around many a page on this thread -- the inane idea that it was due to Farage being "insufficiently wealthy" and that it had next to nothing to do with his political views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That would mean that the 2 CEOs were involved with Farage, that they set out to damage their business by denying him an account.

They are arrogant, aloof and it cost them their jobs but they are not that stupid.

That would mean that the 2 CEOs were involved with Farage, that they set out to damage their business by denying him an account.

Mmm no. The two events could be unrelated or correlated. eg. if Nigel/they tipped off the media, who pressed the CEOs, using credible facts provided by Farage/themselves, which made them more disposed to try and share that information as a means of response.

Suggesting it has to be a conspiracy between those parties is missing the mark. It remains very peculiar that they shorted it, and this has all been known for months, and it's now all blown up basically on Nigel's terms beginning with his 'woe is my I need to flee the country' spiel on June 29. Claiming he needs to flee the country maybe... but he still hasn't gotten lawyers involved. In 8 months?

I am certain Farage could see how this would pan out fairly early on - enough ,time to let his boss short Coutts and NatWest.

I think Farage may come to regret all of this. He has made some very powerful enemies, and not the obvious ones, people who don't work out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's bizarre and quite surreal that this has been turned into some sort of right vs left issue by the English right wing media, with bankers and capitalists being portrayed as "leftie" and "woke". Farage is a millionaire, so is Boris Johnson, so is Andrew Neil. Sunak is the richest MP in the House of Commons.

One could ask what the hell is going on here and just what Farage, GB News, the Telegraph, Sunak etc are actually up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

farage seems to want to remove the earning restrictions that being a PEP places on someone and is looking for less regulation overall.

They also seem to be using the entirely non-existant example of a left wing politician losing access to exclusive banking services in a reaching whataboutery.

They keep on talking about being "de-banked" when this hasn't happened (I mean, anyone using that phrase now has to be a certifiable idiot, farage still has access, by law, to bank accounts).

I imagine some think that clucking "woke banks" is a vote getter when all the woke-y politicians have been absolute failures over the past few years.

Some may take it as an opportunity to move to swiss style secretive banking (no more panama papers exposure).

The banks themselves may just further abandon the UK and it's gang of loons after the brexit disaster.

Accuse banking and regs of being 'woke' -> strip down protections against money laundering (he's said as much he wants to attack money laundering regulations) -> proceed to money launder, 'legally.'

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

To quote the great Ronald Reagan “There you go again” labelling people who happen to disagree with your viewpoint.

17.4 million people voted for Brexit, are you saying that that the majority of them are racists, bigots and xenophobes?

This is the problem with your lot, you think that you can silence people who happen to have different viewpoints to yours by slapping one of your labels on them. The problem is by doing this repeatedly in situations where it is neither valid or merited you devalue your position to the point where people stop listening to you and get motivated to set the record straight. It’s already happening in the UK where what I would classify as the silent majority are finally saying “we’ve had enough of this bs” and are fighting back to set the record straight.

As someone said the demand for racism far exceeds the supply in the UK and Ireland so you have all these organisations making money off the back of the supposed racism problem. Before the usual suspects start getting their knickers in a twist, nobody is claiming that there is not racism in either of these countries, but it is a tiny percentage of the population.

The modern world is now full of people who have nothing better to do than engage in what Bill Maher calls “presentism” ie making moral/ethical judgements about the conduct of people in the past based on current norms, we even have one poster on this thread happily announcing that his parents are racists FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It speaks to the sheer venal redundancy of current internet right wing "thinking" doesn't it. Completely oblivious and nebulous spouting, all without a shred of tangible logic. Merely useful idiots parroting a line and absolutely bereft of any scintilla of understanding of what it is they are even saying. But they're still saying it, nonetheless, because it's what they've been told to say.

The idea that a rich person's, exclusive, wealth management institution (their words, not mine) are somehow, magically, a "leftie" thing is the fever dream of a topsy turvy world that, quite literally, beggars belief. Orwellianism doesn't even encompass half the scope. It's mind blowing how this whole ridiculous farce is trying to be portrayed by certain quarters. Quarters that are either A. Too slow to pick up the details of what's going on or B. just simply too disingenuous to be worth engaging with.

The phrase "flood the zone with shit" comes to mind.

17.4 million people voted for Brexit, are you saying that that the majority of them are racists, bigots and xenophobes?

What is so shocking about that claim?

The UK is 67 million people, 25% of the population, you're saying 1 in 4, 1 in 5, 1 in 8 brits cannot possibly be racist, xenophobic, or bigoted? Haaaaave you met 10 of them?

Calling a spade a spade isn't silencing them. Unless they happen to become speechless with introspection?

This is the problem with your lot

This phrase can come off as bigoted.

The modern world is now full of people who have nothing better to do than engage in what Bill Maher calls “presentism” ie making moral/ethical judgements about the conduct of people in the past based on current norms, we even have one poster on this thread happily announcing that his parents are racists FFS.

What does their statement have to do with the past? It sounds as though their parents are presently racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Incredibly, people are actually buying into this nonsense and think Farage, GB News, the Telegraph and the Tory UKIP govt are waging war on some sort of 'leftie woke elite', namely banks and other capitalist entities (this despite the fact that the Tories and the right wing media are running the country).

It's like Moscovites who think the Russians are fighting Nazis in the Ukraine in a way. They just need a reason to go after the banks that their base would otherwise have too many questions about. But oh, woke banking, I understand now partner, gut those money laundering laws.

Fortunately it's not relevant what you believe about my relationship with my parents. Stating a fact about them is not hating them and if you can't understand that nuance it is you who needs to grow up. It's a bizarre and quite immature idea that the simple accident of been your parent makes them somehow immune from critism and analysis.

I am English by birth and I have a good handle on my fellow citizens and I can say it's totally unremarkable to say that 14 million of them can be geratric racists.

Fortunately my in-laws are the complete opposite to my parents, and the majority of English citizens are tolerant and inclusive. The sad fact is that the bigots were far more motivated to vote in the Brexit referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Konstatine Kisin from the Triggernometry Podcast also lost their Bank account without satisfactory reason

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the goal is to lay political groundwork to water down or remove anti-money laundering legislation for Farage's paymasters and friends of the Conservative party. Sadly, there's no shortage of useful idiots on the British right.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What was the unsatisfactory reason? The banks are required by law to provide the reasons and data (in most circumstances).

Did they lose their current account? Or banking services?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Anti Brexit campaigner Gina miller calls on government to intervene after losing her bank account. All the tree huggers will be out in force now the shoe is on the other foot, setting fire to the banks and glueing themselves to the roads and all sorts.

It is obviously systemic and people of all kinds are caught up in the net. It's not just about Nigel Farage, ironically he has given his voice for everyone. Funny as **** honestly.

Got to be odds on for knighthood now surely.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not sure why you're amused. Does this not tend to undermine Farage's (absurd) claim that the whole thing is a campaign by a woke elite to victimise people on the right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, it's fine when Miller loses her account? Exactly what I expected.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I’m sure many Farage fans will be delighted that he’s given screentime to how Muslims have been treated by banks as well. (And these are not posh boy boutique services neither)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Anybody that is caught up in it is just as bad, this is what you can't get your head around. You are attacking the man because you don't like his political beliefs, most normal people don't care. If it happened a bloke who likes to dress up in suspenders, it does not concern me, it's just as bad.

Time everyone got behind Nigel's crusade for justice for everyone, just a matter of time before he get's back into politics now i reckon.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Bollox. The glee in your post is plain for all to see. It's more of this "own the libs" crap the disaster capitalists such as Farage peddle.

• Advertisement

Advertisement