Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Shocking news just in - Man who makes his living by creating overblown crises out of thin air announces he plans to continue to hype up his over-blown manufactured crisis to keep his face in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the very obvious one some people have lost bank accounted related to their beliefs. I think you indicated that this never happens, so it will be interesting to see how this story in general develops over the next few months

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

They also have a woke problem as well from the sound of it. Systemic it is, this is what needs stamping out.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Except Ronald Reagan wasn't "great" - He was a spiteful hateful bigoted racist whose policies and actions set the US on the path to become the utterly divided disaster-zone it is today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there it is. You're happy when it's people you disagree with under the boot but when it's your favourite pound shop Lord Haw Haw, you're sputtering outrage and linkdumps. You've openly admitted it here.

He also set the precedent for idiot celebrities becoming president.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That Gina Miller story, going on the details in the BBC piece, is not the gotcha some might think.

It seems that Monzo have a rule that they don't give bank accounts to political parties and it suggests that Gina Miller's party misrepresented themselves when applying for the account. When Monzo became aware of the organisation's true nature, they decided to close the account as it was against their rules.

But I also doubt that piece contains the full details.

Miller says other banks refused her accounts but she doesn't name them.

The piece states that the BBC contacted Monzo with Miller's permission but it is unclear as to whether Monzo told the reason directly to the BBC or to Miller who then relayed the information to the BBC.

If the former, surely this should lead to Monzo's CEO resigning as they are sharing private account information with a third party (as the Natwest CEO did)?

Not at all - Given the story about Jeremy Hunt yesterday with the same Bank I would say that as an online only bank Monzo simply have a standing corporate policy of not opening accounts for PEP's because they don't have the infrastructure required to manage those accounts.

All the additional monitoring/reporting etc.

Nothing nefarious , just a simple business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

He also committed Treason so that he could beat Jimmy Carter and get elected in the 1st place by doing a back-room deal with the Iranians to keep the US Hostages held captive until after the Election so he could use Carters failure to get them released to win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Interesting. My reasoning for despising him is the racist war on drugs which continues to do horrendous damage to vast amounts of people to this day. I suspect you alluded to this in your original post.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Reading the reasons, they're entirely acceptable. She misrepresented a business account when creating it. This is a gotcha? And it was pretty clearly against their terms and conditions when she signed up...

Is it just me or when people start going on about "They are too woke" or "They have a woke problem" does everyone else think what they really mean is :-

"People don't seem to like it when I'm an arsehole and they refuse to do business with me , I should be allowed to be an arsehole without any consequences whatsoever."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lot's of labour MPs have been affected as well, that Moyles Mp, was on about charities he was a patron of being refused bank accounts because he was the patron, he had several stories like that that his name was enough to close an account.

Reality must be looked at as well, not just the rarified world of the activists.

The reasons for not liking Ronald Reagan are legion.

Like choosing to do his campaign launch speech, where he talked about "States Rights" which is a dog-whistle for segregation and racism at the site of the famous "Mississippi Burning" murders of civil rights workers

Or that when Governor of California he was all for Gun rights etc. until the Black Panthers started turning up outside public buildings excerising their 2nd amendment rights then he passed laws preventing "open carry" almost instantly - The "Mulford Act".

White people with guns - Fine , Black people with Gun - Cant be having that.

She must be a far right grifter, whatever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In post #1737 you tell us that the account was closed "without satisfactory reason". Now you're claiming to know what the reason was. Can you tell me how you know what the reason was? How am I to know that you're not just assuming that the reason must be the one that would confirm your preconceptions?

No, you're 100% right. This is exactly what the anti-woke ideology is all about.

Every religion gets pushback, especially nowadays, especially one so concentrated among the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's a bate and switch campaign of the right, make people poor and angry and then divert that anger onto some minority. Meanwhile the people who made you angry get praised for identifying the false cause.

It's really sad that people are stupid enough to fall for it every time.

ping me in 3 months and see what the situation if the story has developed. There is the example of the vicar below, I dont want to live in a country where I have to delete posts on Boards saying women dont have penises to get cash out of a machine ha! ha! but seriously in that case with the vicar assuming the facts are as stated, are you ok with that and does it nullify your view that this doesnt happen?

An Anglican vicar says his bank account was closed after he accused it of pushing transgender ideology. 

The Rev Richard Fothergill said he politely complained to the Yorkshire Building Society (YBS) that it was promoting trans ideology during Pride month. 

The Times reports that he received a written response four days later from YBS stating that his internet savings account was to be closed after 17 years.

The letter stated that YBS had a "zero tolerance approach to discrimination" and that his feedback was "not tolerable". 

It also claimed that its relationship with Rev Fothergill had "irrevocably broken down".

"I wasn't even aware that our relationship had a problem. They are a financial house – they are not there to do social engineering. I think they should concentrate their efforts on managing money, instead of promoting LGBT ideology," the vicar told The Times.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh he’s going to ride this one for all it’s worth. Never look a Gift “Woke Lefty Loonie Conspiracy” in the mouth, after all. He can continue to “fight against this” when we all know what he really means is to winge continuously about it on Social media and on that collective screaming box masquerading as a “News” channel. Heaven forbid he’d try to do something potentially useful like actually bringing the bank to court, or even try to run as an MP…(8th try is the charm maybe? With what….the 4th Party he’s been with so far?)

Nah, that kind of affirmative action is for losers. Real winners dox themselves spectacularly by showing that they’re losing money and had been banking with a organisation that his typical supporters would likely never be allowed within eyeshot of the building, let alone give an account to.

Coutts were of course idiots for leaking the data that they did. We now know that Farage is losing money. We shouldn’t, but we do. They deserve all of the headaches that they get because of this. But at the same time, Farage himself was likely a massive headache for them too. He is a headache for the collective world of anyone weary of the nonsense he encourages, but for anyone who have to personally deal with him it must be worse. They had to do weekly risk assessments on him near the end; which is time, money and resources tied up on a client who was on the threshold of not meeting their criteria. In other words, he was no longer worth the effort or cost.

NatWest is just a high street bank, where all and sundry bank with them so long as they can maintain a modest balance. Ditto for their Business Banking. But what Farage wanted was his Financial Butlers. Someone to babysit his investments for him (essentially to do the actual investment work) while doing house calls for things like his annual statement. Trick is, Coutts give a damn about their standing, and with Farage being so very public they had to asses potential damage to their standing versus his monetary worth to them. It wasn’t worth it anymore, so they wanted to kick him over to NatWest where they don’t really care *as much* about how they appear.

They likely gave him his warning months ago, but rather than weigh his options officially Farage possibly went for the “Don’t you know who I am?!” route, had a strop and then hoped that he’d be let stay on for the sake of keeping him sweet…he is after all *Nigel Farage, Brexiteer Extraordinaire, Slayer of the Woke, Spotter of Immigrant Boats, GB presenter of News*…the First of his Name,. But no, they didn’t care, and so we get him having a hissy fit while his bosses read the room and short the stocks of his old bank.

Since Farage failed to get into any of the other Boutique banks in the UK (about 7 of them apparently?), I’m going to assume that he quietly went into a high street bank. Probably into the NatWest account that was offered since that transfer would probably have been more automatic. Of course he’s never going to admit that. He’ll run this crusade for as long as it is useful for him and will eventually be swapped out for some other “woke” outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And strangely enough he hasn't released the polite letter which would reinforce his argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

The usual projection. I don’t like it when someone I like has a bank account closed so the opposite must be true.

I don’t particularly care that someone who is Anti Brexit got their account closed, indeed, the article gives a perfectly satisfactory explanation.

Its quite a jump though, because now that Nigel has had an account closed, you seem to find the very act of closing an account inherently political, which of course, it isn’t. There are loads of valid reasons a bank will choose to terminate a relationship.

In both Miller and Farages cases, the bank acted well within their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

It's all wrong of course, now it is more public and a big voice has started his crusade it should benefit everyone. That is what people fail to grasp, Farage is actually doing a good thing and should be praised for bringing this out into the open. If a few nutjobs can't accept that, who cares.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I cant read his mind but the issue in general ought to be investigated to keep these institution honest. I work on the assumption that individuals are generally innocent til proven guilty but institutions/government need to prove their innocence.

The "polite letter" that the bank describe as "Rude, Offensive and Abusive".

Surely he could stop the banks in their tracks simply by sharing this apparently perfectly innocent and polite expression of his religious views?

Religious views that unlike Political views are absolutely a "protected category" and for which the bank would be 100% in breach of current legislation if they closed his account simply for expressing his religious views.

What possible reason could there be for him not sharing this lovely little letter he sent??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is not what happened here and if you go back a few pages you will see the reason he was asked to leave. It's already been discussed. If you are happy sharing a space with such a pastor it reflects badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They never do.

All the accusations being made can be made entirely public with all evidence by the person making them, but they don't do that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When I ask for evidence of your claims about Konstantin whatsisname you just tell me to wait and see and then head off into a screed about someone else entirely.

You can see, can't you, how this make it difficult to take your claims and arguments seriously?

Be a man and say openly that you don't know why whatsisname's account was closed and you were wrong to suggest that you did. I'd have a bit of respect for you then.

As for the Reverend Richard Fothergill, the honours students will have noted that, while he has clearly given the Press the text of the letter from the Yorkshire Building, he doesn't seem to have shown them the "polite complaint" he made to the YBS that they regarded as intolerable and that, in their view, caused the irrevocable breakdown of the relationship. I wonder why he didn't? I also wonder why it doesn't seem to have occurred to you to wonder why he didn't?

I'll reserve judgment on this one until I've seen both sides of the correspondence. You would too, if you had a titter of wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The accuser always needs to provide evidence.

The institution/government are not legally allowed to provide evidence against individual claims.

Do you want that legal right to privacy dropped in these cases so the accused can provide the evidence?

Advertisement