Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

Testing the fence....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

This is uncomfortable to watch.

Has anyone got the Tubs highlights reel? Or is it just that kid he spoke to on the LLTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Ryan was disgraceful in that interview

He was directly asked in those committee meetings 2 weeks ago about about how much time preparation it takes before interviewing a big star on the late late show

His answer was and I quote "days and weeks". Clearly work he does not do

Ryan didn't have a clue what binoches next movie might have been. Didn't bother to take 10 minutes to look up IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. It's clear he doesn't do research and relies heavily on his researchers to ask questions he can read from a cue card. It's very unprofessional

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just on the €900 taxi from Drogheda back to Dublin which Tubs said was for him at the Oireachtas committee meeting(but elsewhere it was for Niamh from NKM).

Tubs said “I love your county very much” regarding Louth. He loved it so much he couldn’t get out of it fast enough after the Renault gig, and wouldn’t stay the night in a hotel there…..one assumes none were good enough for his refined tastes. 🙄 Would have been a lot cheaper than a €900 taxi, but when you’re not paying you don’t care about the costs I guess….

• Advertisement

Double post

If you think his tv prep is bad his radio prep is immeasurably worse. Lots of examples in the radio thread of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Watching that makes you think just how annoyed was he getting but has to keep the persona of a nice guy and then not even having a clip of his new movie lol

Yes,I have heard segments of his show to know all I need to know. Researchers finding stories in papers that interest his tastes like books , board games, kindness, anti trump etc. It's poor public broadcasting at a public interest level

• Advertisement

Jonah hill absolutely destroyed tubridy when he was on 😂😂😂

Here’s a good one 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I didn't get that, must have missed it. A taxi at night from Dublin City Centre to Dundalk (another 40 km) costs about €160. I know this from experience.

Tubridy was either in a taxi that he took from Dublin-Drogheda-Dublin and had the meter running while he was at the gig, or else he took a standard limo hire for the evening.

Would have been cheaper to take a taxi both ways (or god forbid, use public transport), but he would run the risk of getting a Drogheda special Skoda Octavia with a cheap nylon seat cover for the trip home. Probably wouldn't suit him if the driver spent the whole time having a shouting conversation over his airpods with his mate back in Lagos or Karachi or wherever.

Tubs don't move like the rest of us do.

Even though Ryan Tubridy is the least culpable in this scandal in My opinion, every person with knowledge of this scandal needs to be let go because they are all complicit in this scandal and abuse of public funds

It would be a bizarre decision to bring back Tubridy when millions of license fees have been lost since this dibacle

Unless bahkurst felt RTE had no legal alternative but to reinstate Tubridy..

He’s as culpable as the young fella up in court today, that allowed his account be used for laundering money for criminals

He's a contractor - what legal alternative, any legal liability would be just a case of paying off the rest of his contract which is in dispute anyway

Oh you edited your comment

RTE are broke - time to start cutting the chaff

That is what puzzles me. The new DG has many reasons why he should cut Ryan Tubridy including deception and aggressively attacking the establishment of RTE in the committee

But he has had "open discussions" with Ryan regarding his return, in the last week, and has publically stated two weeks ago, that he would like Ryan to "return the 150k".

Bathurst has the door open for Tubridy if he follows simple orders

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That was the interview that gave Waterford Whispers one of it's funniest, and cutting edge, articles.

Of course, none of RTE read the damn article, but his NK cohort Dave Fanning ALSO condemned that, similar to the Fanning calling the PAC committee a 'Nuremberg Trial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I interviewed an American lady for my latest podcast. She is based in Donegal with her Irish husband and kids and I never did the typical Tubridy question asking about her Irish roots. I always ask the same first question in all of my interviews. I ask my guest/guests to tell me a bit about their background so the listeners have more of an idea who they are.

A Tubs interview always involves asking about their Irish roots, how are they finding Ireland and some misery in their life such as cancer or a death in the family. Tubs has no natural conversational ability that draws out the guest in a positive way. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he chats with Conor McGregor.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

You have peaked my interest. What's your podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In fairness, Cuba acted an ass in thar interview.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

RT has had Noel G on a few times..evrrytime his first question is "How's the mammy"..wtf.

he's trying to copy Gsy Byrne . Taking Noel G as an example, he can be an interesting person to listen too, funny stories and direct but any interview with RT ends up about stuff about his mam and growing up Irish root's, heard it thousand times .

he had Ronnie o Sullivan on also, pure awkward interview..

he just doesn't have it, his guests ate uncomfortable, the audience is uncomfortable, he's obvious to it all.

You've described it perfectly there - not only does he not make guests feel comfortable, but he actively makes them feel uncomfortable and awkward. At times the radio show is pure Alan Partridge. He just can't relate to people in a natural manner. Everything is scripted to within an inch of its life and there's no flow or spontaneity from the man.

I didn't hear the Ronnie O'Sullivan interview but as soon as you mentioned his name I knew it had car crash potential. O'Sullivan has had his demons, and even on good days for him he can be a tough interview. I actually don't so much blame RT on this one as getting Tubridy to interview him was a bad editorial decision; but here's another problem with RTE - there seems to be no-one in the editorial teams across the station strong enough to say anything it seems to any of the NKM crew. You see it with Joe Duffy all the time - the man does whatever he wants on his show from pushing his own biases and agenda, plugging his death bukes, losing the rag at callers etc. etc. Anyone familiar with RT and RO'S would know it's not exactly a match made in heaven as they couldn't be more different. But they're either afraid to tell the self-anointed Toyman "we don't think this would be a good interview for you to do" (i.e. you don't have the skillset to handle this) or they actually think he's the second coming of Johnny Carson and actually a brilliant and skilled interviewer - neither of which reflects well on them.

The list of disastrous interviews is not limited to difficult characters. Look at the Jonah Hill interview for example. You could literally just say "Hi Jonah, tell us about your new movie" and Hill would go for 20minutes and make it funny and engaging. Instead Tubs' lack of human interaction skills betrayed him to the point where Hill asked him 'are you nervous?". Hill couldn't believe that Tubridy was hosting the show.

There's so many examples of bad and terrible interviews with him it's amazing he's still in a job at all tbh. In fact, it's hard to think of a really good Tubs interview with anyone. Even the not so bad ones are just meh, colour by numbers standard interview questions we've heard a thousand times.

He's 38 years in RTE and 25+ in. front of mics and cameras full time and still bangs on the radio and TV desk nervously and still is reading verbatim from cue cards. You'd think at this stage he'd at least have developed enough in his role to stop doing both of those?

Tubs is fine with old dears on the morning radio slot asking them about plain cake and trips to various parts of Ireland reminiscing about "jimmy" Stewart* and good old black and white movies. I personally don't think he's good with children but some of you seem to, so maybe some kids TV too. Anything trickier than that is beyond his skillset.

Dunphy called him "a young fogey" about 20 years ago on radio once and I thought it summed RT up perfectly at the time. He's just older now. And richer.

*edit - apologies, I meant to say Stewart but typed Dean for some reason when I posted this firstly. I was of course referring to Stewart as Tubs thinks we are all living a real-life version of "It's a Wonderful Life".

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

maybe so...still think it would be a good idea...ok youd need a few tech people to keep transmitters running and servers/computers going,a few people who can read the news etc both on tv/radio...keep that going for a couple or three months with regular announcements saying whats going on,start hiring new imaginitive people to start making new programs...new managers who wont take crap(or waste money) to my mind its certainly do-able...and nobody on megaeuro contracts,in fact no more 'contractors'...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement