Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusla

Options
  • 25-07-2023 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Tusla a complete failure, missing children from care, cases not investigated, staff shortages etc., does O' Gorman even care about any of this

The head of Tusla has admitted the agency is now at "crisis point" after an outgoing judge wrote to numerous government ministers and other State agencies expressing his "utmost concern" over the welfare of some children in care and the likelihood of future legal challenges as a result of current "systemic" shortcomings.

Judge Dermot Simms, who has since retired from the Dublin Metropolitan District Court, sent the detailed letter accompanied by related documents after he had been told in court by the Child and Family Agency of an "unprecedented crisis" faced by Tusla.

Judge Simms said the issue is primarily due to a lack of properly regulated suitable placements for foster care, residential placements and special (secure) care, and unfilled posts in Tusla, alongside a shortage of qualified personnel and staff retention issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Tusla and the opw are the two biggest wasters of money an manpower in the state ,

tusla particularly are over staffed if anything but the standards and protocols that they use are so poorly though out and enforced that it is often nearly laughable.

Its always some one else's job or the person your need to speak to or need to make the call on something is away for weeks or months

they spend most of their time tryin to drop their responsibilities on other state agency's and heading off for a conference some where .

of course this is just my professional experience with them since they were established

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The OPW?

Tusla can't get the staff and its nothing to do with money social work with children and families is a very complex thankless job plus it's a highly ideological sector trow in an increase in the population and children with very complex needs. There are changes in society that make it very difficult to recruit foster families and offering extra money and resources is not the answer. The emergence of for-profit providers is also an issue not that they are all bad but it just showed how complex it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

As a social worker I can tell you that front line staff in Tusla are becoming burnt out with the work load and lack of support from higher management and that is part of the problem. It doesn't help that the public have a negative view of the job too, we are either cnuts who take kids from their parents or cnuts who don't intervene enough. My own issue is seeing a family and having concerns about the welfare of the children only to have that file signed off by a line manager who says all is ok and nothing to see here. It's also frustrating to have families who are struggling but who want to do better being left struggling by lack of support services and the fact that things often have to escalate before any intervention is offered. It's the reason I'm retraining to leave the sector, its really starting to impact on my own health. Anyway rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Yes the opw ,

tusla and the opw are both organizations where it is possible to make a great living for yourself if you dont actually want to work for a living.

Its a difficult job i agree but tusla DO NOT DO IT . thy just offload anything that seems difficult or to bothersome on other agency's

companys like positive care Ireland etc try to fill gaps with substandard staff often in above standard accommodation all at state expense

40 to 65 grand a year for a job that they aren't doing ? 935 Million budget ? ya its not about money

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I have a lot of respect for TUSLA, they have a thankless job and are overloaded due to Childrens First referrals. I was reported by someone because I said a 15 year old who was acting the bollix needed "a kick in the hole and needed to cop on". That is a threat to a child.

The investigation lasted 90 seconds and was by telephone. They have a massive work load and their numbers are dropping due to this. They are under staffed and struggling. Until the system is revamped (again), it will not improve.

It is the same with the Gardai. A sergeant friend of mine mentioned that policy is "call the guards", they have no way of getting to incidents in a reasonable time frame and get crap because of it.

I was at a BBQ at the weekend with another garda and he is one of 2 drivers trained in a station. He cannot come off the road as he is trained, but his paperwork is just mounting.

• Advertisement

I think the OPW are one of the stars of the state services along with library's and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They lost huge credibility when they were involved in the smear campaign against Sgt Maurice McCabe. Very dodgy antics and we never really got accountability.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't think the media is giving a fair account of the situation, it seems like 5 and six year olds are going missing but it's much more like children that are 15, 16, 17. These 'kids' are placed in normal residential homes with care workers and a lot of the time these 'kids' are bigger, stronger and not afraid to use violence against the social worker/assistant. If these kids want to leave the house they can and there's nothing the worker can do but report it to the Gardai.

Management expects the workers to be able to control these 'kids' but the worker is overworked and not trained in the very delicate and complex needs of these 'kids' who have suffered some sort of abuse all their lives.

There's no easy fix, these issues need to be dealt with at the time of birth, not when the 'child' is nearly an adult and bound to end up in prison a few years later.

I'm curious how are they to do there job better while kepping every steakholder happy and also who should be paying for it. I'm not saying there are not issues but when an individual starts in the civil service they don't know what department they will be sent to, some departments are much easier to do your job in than others no one starts out saying I can't be bothered. Therefore something else is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My wife works as a psychiatric nurse with CAMHS and hates any time she has to deal with Tusla as they're so incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Friends of mine recently had the opposite experience. Their kid told a teacher in passing that his dad slapped him on the hand when he was hitting his brother. The teacher reported it to TUSLA. Weeks of harassment by TUSLA followed. Repeated phone calls, meetings with social workers, being made go to parenting classes, being made take anger management courses, having to deal with a pr!ck of a social worker smirking at them and asking them when their started beating their child and did they beat their other children........and then having to deal with the Garda as TUSLA passed on the complaint of assault to them. It got to the stage where the Dad became suicidal. If only they put that much effort into following up on genuine cases of child neglect and abuse.

How do social workers know a case is genuine without investigating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You have a friend who hits his kid, and you think it's not genuine child abuse?

I could have predicted you’d be the first in with that comment.

Thank you - I'm taking that as a compliment.

Beating kids is not OK, and there are far too few people in this country willing to say so.

• I’m as opposed to child abuse as anyone can be but I find it pretty abhorrent you would describe a slap on the hand as beating the child. You’re just trying to provoke a reaction imo.

One single slap on the hand doesn't get someone reported to Tulsa. The teacher will have had suspicions based on the child's behaviour or development, and the comment about the slap (sic) will have been a moment that tipped the balance towards a report.

Tusla staff don't have time to waste on families that don't need intervention.

As a Tusla social worker I can assure you that level of investigation does not happen over one slap on the hand. The story is either fabricated, exaggerated or your friend had other issues that flagged concerns. Tusla don't just investigate abuse, one of the main reasons I get referrals is down to neglect or welfare concerns so there would have been more to this than just a slap.

• Maybe, I’m thinking as well actually

A neighbour of mine was a fan of breaking up his Mrs and kids, I wasn’t as big of a fan and herself rang them before I did something myself.

They were out within a few hours and left within minutes.

• Point being was they might be quick to investigate but they do not seem to be much useful ringing.

like the wife and kids would be battered blue and they left them there? Boggles the mind

that said, I’ve heard before that people have been reported for rather minor issues and have had Tusla be a pain in their arse for months

im sure there’s as many who get forgotten as those who are hounded needlessly. I doubt they are only investigating the most serious cases I’m sure there’s the odd slap in the hand or whatever type case they will chase up for a bit because it’s handy.

• Advertisement

• I’m sorry but would physical abuse of a child not literally be the definition of neglect & a welfare concern?

Neglect would be things like non attendance in school, children not having enough sleep, being dirty etc

And it would need to be ongoing and persistent.

An isolated slap is not going to be investigated, the person who made the report would have needed to justify why it needs social work involvement. There are also huge backlogs of referrals so the original log was probably made months and months ago.

We have a job to do and that job is protecting children not persecuting parents but sometimes our very presence feels like a heavy handed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

With respect, would it not have to be investigated at some level to determine if it is ongoing and persistent.

I work in a job where I need 'children first' training. So if, under those guidelines, I report that a child was slapped as I'm required to do, would you tell me to come back when I know it's ongoing and persistent?

No, I wouldn't. I don't make the call as to what reports to escalate. The concerned individual makes the report based on his or her concerns, we respond to them but they are allocated based on severity. Most cases I work with will have had multiple referrals from people who know the family and have a lot of detail that lead me to believe there is a reason to investigate. One report of one slapped hand with no other information to support it will not be top of my priorities, it won't even make to my desk. So if someone has been harassed as that previous poster claimed then there is clearly more to it than just a slap on the hand.

Ah the old no smoke without fire argument. Wasn't that what TUSLA used to try and destroy Maurice McCabe?

In the case I am referring to I can tell you there were categorically no other incidents or issues. This came completely out of the blue for a family with 4 kids who had never had any issues before. The social worker involved was very green and this seems to have been used as a training exercise for her. I am told there was a more senior social worker on the telephone calls coaching her on what to say, how to respond to the parents and in particular how to goad the Dad (the tell me when you started to beat your children type questions). The level of excessive pressure placed on the family was unbelievable, as I mentioned in my earlier post the Dad became suicidal and was off work for three months. TUSLA nearly destroyed this family. It was obvious that they were seen as an easier target / training case for the junior staff member, nice middle class respectable people who wouldn't fight back and who could be labelled as a successful intervention and closed case making the numbers look good. When you look at what some kids in this country have to endure without any intervention bu TUSLA it does make you wonder about them as an organisation.

How would you know what issues there are in that home? In my experience people tend not to be completely honest about what is going on even to very close family and friends. Something happened to make someone concerned enough to report it and you might say its nothing but that level of investigation has to be justified. It is not in the interest of social workers like myself to target an innocent family and really insulting to staff to suggest we would do something like that. I've no doubt there are bad apples in most jobs but in general all the staff I have met are decent people with a desire to help people who struggle but who are doing a thankless job due to people like you who think we are out to make people's lives hell.

There are huge issues with Tusla like any state run organisation, huge waste, not enough frontline staff, poor conditions etc. That makes it a really difficult job to be in at times and its the reason we are losing good people to other careers. And, as your post shows, we can't win. We investigate a case and we are bullies but we don't investigate enough. So which is it?? And who do you think should make the call on when something needs to be fully investigated? And do you even know what that looks like cause I can assure you talking to mum and dad on the phone or popping around for a cuppa and a chat won't work.

You can't possibly know every detail of what goes on behind closed doors but your "friend", if he is so inclined can request his case notes to see what justification was given to elicit such a response.

Tusla is overstaffed?

What bloody universe are you living in?

• well, they seem to have enough staff whereby holidays and annual leave happen amongst themselves often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Like every single state run body in this country.

• Advertisement

They're so burned out and you want them to not take their holiday entitlement?

Advertisement