Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s it in a nutshell.

I see it on the contracting side too. The most demanding lads and the lads with the biggest opinion of their own self importance are the lads that never worked a day in their lives outside their own farm.

It’s the worst thing any parent can do to their child. A half decent parent would make sure their child does something else first before coming back home. It’ll stand to them for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

@GrasstoMilk the onus is on you to make sure the tax is paid. If someone comes to your farm to work and brings machinery or equivalent they are a contractor. If someone comes and works on a regular basis, say milking, cleaning out sheds, using your machinery, they have to be treated as an employee and the onus is 100% on you to pay the tax. You can't say "Oh they're a contractor they'll pay their own tax", you are completely liable for the tax in the case of an audit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree totally what you’re saying, the guy I was talking about earlier with the father milking the cows at 74 is one of these fella’s. All about what he has and what his buying and just split from the second wife and how lucky the lads that have worked for him are, when he comes into the local pub lads drink up and go home or move to the bar,. Never worked a day outside the farm. In France all young farmers have to go to a different type of farm from the home farm and out of the country if at all possible before installation. Now every young person Should get out of country before going home to farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Does anyone ever stand up to these people. Often wonder how they treat their spouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

If he has paid the tax on his own money isn't it up to himself how it's spent. No one is responsible for how I pay my tax only myself

• Advertisement

About 5 family holiday a year with a local engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was sent to a serious pig of a man on dairy placement was verbally abusing us on a daily basis, he had gotten in a contractor with a saw head to do ditches cutting down good 12 inch thick bows along the fences which he sent us to pull from ditches, tidy up with loader obviously the fence was destroyed from falling bows, cattle got out of a field in adjoining block, was my fault of course for "wrecking fence" was no power getting to it was a digger man their at the time and I'd seen my chance he started roaring at us for the above I walked towards him faced him down and asked him what kind of a stupid c**t he was that he even thought the fence would still be intact after your man dropping trees on it, was going to kill the f**ker and with your man their I had a witness if he went to get physical, he turned heel and walked off muttering to himself once I faced him down, he never opened his mouth again after that.....

Digger man who done his sheds for him aswell was saying this was what he was doing to all his students through the years, he was that bad even with your man's employees, he was warned off going near them when they where concreting his tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Going through a few of them in my head and one man in his 60’s now and he’s living a lonely life. Parents dead a few years and no spouse because when he was younger he’d have been afraid she’d have taken half the farm on him if he did get married. He has lately offered a field to a couple of different local women if they would come and live with him! I believe guards had to get involved on a few occasions.

There’s another man and his attitude on the farm was being discussed by a few neighbours one day and one of the made the comment “when you’re not the boss at home you have to be the boss somewhere!”

A few more I can think of and I’d imagine it wouldn’t be simple lives for the spouse’s. Breakfast, dinner and tea would be expected to be on the table at the right time every day with no excuses.

Post edited by DBK1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That's not the case, if they deem that person to be an employee rather than a contractor then you are responsible for the tax

Their getting very nervous by the questions asked in the survey I reckon, the writing is on the wall that planned future milk volumes they had put into future financial projections re new processing capacity are now only works of fiction, you'd be worried with the debt that tirlain is in will they be able to service it, its a given now their will have to be another huge sell off of shares to balance the books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If your in a company, drawing out cash is only costing 12.5% tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And the thing is the teagasc inspectors or whoever go into that farm and it's probably spotless with all financials impressive and the inspectors say this is a farm where the students can learn a thing or two. But it's being run that way on student labour.

My own farm placement kind of led to me farming the way I do now.

My own father worked on an estate farm with a pig of an owner manager too. One of the workers was an alcoholic stealing stuff every day. But none of the rest of the workers cared since your man was pig to work for. Owner manager was ahead of his time in farming practices and had to have the best of everything and farming. But it didn't stop him being a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I reckon the gloves will be off soon enough as regards coops going outside there area into other coops catchement looking for milk…..def in tirlan case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If I get paid in cheques and cash them in a shop. How does that work Is that completely untraceable ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I think it depends on what the payer writes on the cheque stub. If they write 'cash', that's one thing but if they write 'charolais0153' then it's traceable to you. The question then is whether Revenue have the resources or interest in checking your tax return and seeing if you included that cheque.

That's my understanding of how it works but I'm open to correction.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

They're already traveling half the country to collect milk since 2015 so it wouldn't be a big stretch for them to collect more milk on the same roads.

What's not helping them is that I know of 4 suppliers within 5 miles of me (in Tirlan's heartland of Waterford) who have left them in the last few years. 1 new entrant and 3 whose fathers would have been supplying them since oul god's time. Not sure of exact numbers, but that's probably 500 cows gone plus the feed/fertiliser those 4 farmers would have traded.

Management can't blame nitrates or Eamon Ryan for that.

I'll be gone from them here first chance I can get another supplier to take us on, their the most heavily indebted processor by a country mile too, I reckon they'll have money issues down the track too

How did they manage to get out of msa, our did they just give the 2 years notice and leave, tipperary co-op will be desperate for milk when glanbia take back the excess they had going into them for the new cheese plant, arrabawn aswell where getting a good bit of milk via them during peak months would be nice to see co-ops having to fight for milk will help keep them honest

Drawing cash for personal spending would be taxed as income. What ever rate your on.

Every business or profession will take cash. How can you know what they do with their tax affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

I never got into the specifics with them of how they left but I’m assuming they just gave 2 year’s notice.

Called for nitrates /derogation inspection next week …..what dose one of these entail ….all I’ve been told is all tanks will be measured .check I’ve a river fenced and no stock drinking from it ,they want one feed docket …any lime docket for lime spread this year and your advisor can gather 2023 fertiliser records and submit them after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

It involves a nice cushy 9 - 5 for someone to pass the day making small talk with you while trying to find faults around your place.

I'd say the biggest fear in these inspections is when lads tell lies about the storage they have verses what they actually have in place.

I’m ok on storage ….more the unknown is the worry ….in fairness guy that rang seemed sound enough

Ya, sure I guess they'll be checking you water troughs maybe and all that rubbish. No roadways going into watercourses which is a fair enough one. I'd say it'll be fine lad seeing as your telling the truth about your storage. Truth is always easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

We had dero inspection 3 weeks ago.

All they looked at was troughs, roadways, bales stored 2 high not on concrete base, slurry storage and dykes.

Got on fine have another tank being done at the moment and he was to be back before year end to inspect if this was complete.

Our inspector was fairly agreeable but all might not be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Heard that if you even have one trough less than the required distance (25m I think) from a watercourse you lose your derogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lorne Armstrong

You're lucky to get a phone call. They usually just land on unannounced.

They are only out to catch you. Its near impossible to be 100% complaint. They want to find a fault so they can claw back % of your SFP so they can justify their wage to the department. Just remember they are not on your side.

All you can do is have all paperwork to hand. Help them measure the tanks to make sure they do it correctly.

Had what seemed to me not long in the job inspector call for full a cross compliance last year. When I asked what measurements she got for the tanks lengths it turned out she only measured from inside the walls of the sheds and not to the agitation points on the outside. Also had me down for having more tons of urea in the yard than I had. She was counting a pallet of urea as 2 tons. I got a penalty for not having "adequate effeulent tank" what ever that means. I had the council out 12 months before this they raised no issue about it. I think she just wanted to find something.

• Advertisement

That water trough rule is just stupid and makes no sense. I spent over 15k putting in a water system here just before that rule came in and I'm not moving any trough. I put them all in the right place at the time. I don't mind the rules that make sense but I think that is the worst of all

Advertisement