Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I couldn't be bothered going through all of that. I think your the type of guy that always has to have the last word. I've seen it on other threads too. I'll leave ye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is code for you have no answer and as I am responding back now you can call it a 'win'.

You need stop your carry on putting yourself on a pedestal the dublin supporter man of 'faith' act, does not ring through when you dig down into into it. Full of contractions and caveats.

Posters are not negative because they they their own team will lose (as you do for the final) you seem to like talking down to posters constantly if they do not share your wild optimistic blind faith.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

You have won nothing against me gorm. I just don't like going around in circles with you. My point stands you are a very negative Dublin poster. Now off with ya and enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jayus lads give it a rest. You are going to win handy on Sunday. Yee have added 4-5 pluses to your panel and are playing well

Kerry are back 4-5 players compared to the championship team last year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My issue with Dessie has always been I don't really have confidence in him and that he knows how to get the best from the lads and motivate them enough. I think we have underachieved since winning 6 in a row but it was always going to happen with players leaving and maybe a lack of drive to keep going at such a high level but its unfortunate especially for some of the younger fellas. There's just something about him as a manager I could never warm to.

Con Kilkenny and Fenton for example are not themselves at all lately there's flash's of there best but not enough for what there capable of. There's a few others but there still the main ones at an age / level where they should be the best in there positions. Cluxton and Gilroy coming back in this year has made a difference there both huge influences on that squad of players in different ways. I imagine Gilroy has a lot to do with lads coming back in and keeping everyone together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Gorm is just playing games with the Kerry lads! Sure we're terrible, nothing to see here, then bang, McCarthy is walking up the steps of the Hogan stand.

FWIW (don't know if you think i'm the other negative bastard) I agree that Farrell isn't up to much. I don't see innovation, I don't see in game astuteness, I don't see the great rebuild he's been talking about for ages now. Lee Gannon is the only new face in the team. I see players who've made a career out of doing the impossible coming together for one last push though. The players. It might be enough.

Dessie did very well against Mayo though, Couldn't fault that win - really surprised me. Keeping all those lads on the bench especially Kilkenny.

The bit that annoys me is the media narrative that Dublin have strength in depth now. But you have to say the it is not fresh blood. It is lads that have been around the block for a while/good while.

Basquel - used as an example of strength in depth by the media- great against Mayo probably his best game for Dublin ever, did nothing v Monaghan - no consistency with him

Mannion - again no spring chicken 1 score v Mayo, 1 mark v Monaghan

McCaffery - probably the best of the 'new' faces IMO still has a place as a sub - one score v Monaghan - none v Mayo

Cluxton - he has done alright except for one occasion when he fumbled the ball - I suppose by his presence alone he is worth his place - more often than not a calming influence

Rock - can't start games now - but can come on for crucial frees - 1 point v Mayo, had a simple finish for the goal Monaghan made by Con

Kilkenny -

Paddy Andrews can't understand why he is benched now (see the OTB final podcast above before all the back and forth meself and @YabaDabaDooley had)

And again here -

But I think Kilkenny slows the game too much - if Dessie wants a fast pacey direct game I can understand why he benches him makes sense - he got one score v Mayo - none v Monaghan - but from what I remember he settled things a bit when he came on

--

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JimmyApollo

Mannion got 0-2 v Mayo and 0-3 against Monaghan though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

I have great respect for Dessie and hope he can win us an All-Ireland on Sunday. either way, win or lose I say he will pull the plug on Dublin before next year. who will take the job?.. I don't know. Maybe one of the Boards users on here as they seem to have an answer for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Darragh O Se in the IT saying Kerry should get at Cluxton with high balls and the odd bit of physical contact. He said he hasn't been tested much this year. He mentioned his age (nearly 42) and that Monaghan fumble. He recommends an "Oppenheimer" approach. Does he have a point and might it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ultimately Cluxton has a full back and others too so… I don’t know, if I’m a Kerry player and I can put him under pressure, ok, but why not kick it over the bar and take the score unless a goal is needed ? Could get OTT with targeting the keeper but maybe take your points and target keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

I don’t know why but I’ve a feeling David Gough might need to be on point from the throw in.

it’s not a fictional argument to make that the overall standard of refereeing in football has nosedived really. An awful lot of ex-pros in the media countrywide are now accepting that and going to the efforts of lambasting the standards we have seen over the last 5 or 6 years. Peter Canavan, Colm Boyle, Ciaran Whelan and the Gooch all not exactly shy about sticking it to the refs in the media the last few years…and that includes very recently……so it’s not just Dublin sour grapes over a few calls. People all ove are annoyed.

hopefully we are not lambasting and instead congratulating Gough regardless of the result… just seems too often we now are seeing referees being the focal point of many a post match discussion…. They’ll make mistakes but the high profile nature of some of them and the daylight robbery and incompetence of them in some instances now….

I agree with O'Se that Dublin are suspect to the high ball, but is more the FB line rather than Cluxton IMO. Mayo were having great joy with the high ball in the first half of the QF. O'Donoghue was having a field day and there was a few times the high ball caused Dublin panic.

But I expect that given high ball David Clifford will just claim a handy mark and slot it over the bar. I don't think Kerry will launch it into the Dublin FB line unless they are in panic mode towards the end of the game. As long as they have David Clifford they don't really need to take the risk of losing possession.

From a Dublin supporter point of view the hope would be that Kerry look for David Clifford too much, and it becomes predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was at the semi-final last year. Dublin repeatedly worked the ball into the Kerry corners and mostly got dispossessed or kicked wides from stupid angles. It looked incredibly easy to defend for Kerry. It was obviously some pre-game tactical decision but I couldn't understand why they kept doing it when it clearly wasn't working, so many wasted Dublin possessions. I feel like as long we don't do that again and keep the Kerry goals to a minimum then we'll be in with a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Regarding Ciaran killkenny he had a mighty game last year but he will do well to repeat that really hope others step up .

Here is the RTE GAA Podcast with the Gooch, Mossy Quinn discussing the final. Rory Jennings the neutral. And Evanne the ref.

Bit of a disagreement over whether it will be a cagey match or not.

Surprised it took them 18 minutes to mention Con O'Callaghan to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Really strong looking team posted today by Dessie. Hope its a humdinger of a match and Dublin to win it by 3 or 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

It's AI final weekend 🏆️ I really hope it's a super game. Let D Clifford have his few points but don't kill ourselves trying to manage him when there are other dangers around. And I hope after the quiet semi final that Basquel has a good game, because he's been great for us this season. Not entirely delighted with Scully starting, but we have a strong bench. Can't wait for Sunday - COYBIB!!

Do people have a lucky Dublin jersey for finals?

I am torn between the 1995 retro or the 1983 retro I have. It could be a crucial decision on the day.

Ger Brennan's take on the final-

Ger tipped Dublin by three (but qualified it with a 'in saying that') - to be known in Kerry you have to do back to back AI's.

Also Cluxton is going to be booted out of the retired Dublin players whatapp group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I did have lucky championship underpants that I wore since the start of the 2015 championship and I only suffered the 1st loss in them in the semi final last year. I wasn't at the Mayo semi the year before because I couldn't get a ticket due to the reduced attendance because of covid.

I retired them last year. They had taken some abuse over the years after all the celebrations.

I still keep them in the drawer much to the other half's annoyance

I keep telling her I'm going to put them in a frame and hang it on the wall.

• Advertisement

Dublin Team

Kerry Team

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

O'Gara Seems to have gone off the scene completely. Was looking good in a couple of the early games. If I remember he had a bit of a face on him when subbed early on, may not have helped his cause. I wonder if Scully will play from the start. anyway looking forward to Sunday. Hopefully stays dry for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Just watched last year's semi, I can't believe we lost, some terrible misses in first half. With our stronger squad now, I'm fairly confident we'll win. Rain is forecast for Sunday.

Post edited by Tomaldo on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no idea why Scully features so much for Dublin, just can't see what he brings to the side. He is no Flynn thats for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

He must be performing well in training. Bugler plays far better then him.

Scully is versatile I suppose, can end up anywhere. He is no Paul Flynn alright but then again who was/is? A very high bar to judge a fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

He just walks around and looks uninterested and sloppy at times. Like his yellow card in the semifinal. Loses an easy ball it seemed and then trips the player. Stupid. On the other side he has scored a good amount of goals for us.

Hopefully the lads coming off the bench came make the difference tomorrow if named 15 start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Out of pocket for a ticket this year. You reckon there's any point in looking around the stadium? Never had to scout around before.

Advertisement