Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doping megathread - I can't even think of a witty tagline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, I forgot about the bike change. That's another thing that went against him on the day. All ignoring of course the natural drop off in effort that must occur in the final km of a TT like that where a rider knows that he has nothing left to race for and the dejection must be overwhelming.

It's just a bit mad how far ahead of the rest of the field those two were.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

While everyone talks about the TT, it’s really the stage after that separates Vingegaard and Pogacar.

Pog clearly went too deep in the TT to put in such a good performance. Anyone arguing that it was a bad performance needs their head examined. The day after he was toast, he couldn’t recover.

Vingegaard beat him by 90s and looked fresh as a daisy the next day

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Who said it was a bad performance? Let's just knock that on the head before everyone is dragged down a rabbit hole arguing a point that hasn't been raised.

Plenty of people have said it was a bad performance, that he had an “off day” etc. z

they/them/theirs

Do you remember Indurain or Lemond winning tours? They did exactly what Vingegaard did. Wait out their opponents attacks and destroy them in the TT.

It was only weird because no one has done it for a long time IMO

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I wouldn't say Pog had a bad performance. But I don't think he had a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But yet he was well ahead of third place!!!

There is something new out there in sport in general, performances are improving alot, I know nutrition, equipment and science has helped, but not by such a margin that others can't do it

There's a difference between saying he had an off day - i.e. not at his best - and put in a bad performance. I don't think I've seen any sane person suggest his performance was bad. Plenty - me included - think it was below his optimum. Vingo on the other hand had one of those performances which athletes can produce every now and then where they smash/ narrowly exceed their optimum.

I just think people are putting too much emphasis on one TT stage in the third week of a GT to insinuate dodgy dealings in JV.

But there was no other rider there besides Jonas who could hope to match Tadej on such a climby TT. If Remco/Geraint/Roglic were there we would have a better comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Just listened to Escape Collective podcast on the TT with Ronan McLaughlin with an aero nerd as his guest. Assuming that JV had one of or the lowest CDA in the Tour, they estimated his power at 390 on flat and 430 on climbs. If he’s 60kg that’s over 7w/kg mid-TT, in the third week of GT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

There seems to be an absolute raft of new records being set by irish amateur athletes in recent weeks .Any ideas ?Genuinely curious .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Honestly, we have under invested and under supported in many sports for years and people now have the ability to mimic top class support on their own shoe string thanks to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Raymzor

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

The questions apply to Pog also but Pog has done TTs of that level before whereas this is a new high for Jonas.

As linked above, Vinga’s projected power was calculated to be well above 7w/kg for a considerable part of the TT. From what I’ve read/heard, 7.4 is the figure that’s generally accepted. That’s taking performance to another level and there’s genuine interest to see how’s Jumbo/Vinga have managed it.

When asked, the Jumbo boss Plugge went into defensive mode, deflecting the questions and pointing to the sloppiness of other teams, even remarking that he spotted FDJ on beer beer in their hotel 🤣🤣

Vinga’s Power data from the TT would be helpful but fat chance of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

There is no generally accepted level; you don't know the mass accurately and are completely guessing the power.

Even Ross Tucker who isn't slow to talk about doping calls it guess work.

If we assume he's doping

1. What's he taking?

2. How is he beating testing regime?

I'm not defending him but without the power data and system mass it's guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

It is guess work, but educated guess work.

I read that Escape Collective article that Ronan McLaughlin wrote. Very good article. One thing that struck me though, that didn't sit well, was the pacing based on RPE. I call nonsense on this. I just can't imagine a pro cyclist, aiming to win the TdF, not having the wattage he aims to ride at already pre determined for a TT. Jumbo Visma seemingly left nothing to chance so why on earth would he then set off and pace his ride off RPE?

But let's just say they just did that in training and he used power to control his effort in the actual TT. This doesn't sit right either. There is no way a pro rider maintains a pace of 20 watts above his intended target. Vingo said he had a figure of 360 watts in his head for the flat but averaged 380. Surely he must have thought that any prolonged period of effort that's 20 watts above what he thought he was capable of would not be sustainable and he'd have to back off before he tanked?

If athletes have a firm understanding of RPE it is probably a better metric as your FTP is static and does not take into account good days / bad days / fatigue etc.

You often see it with powerlifters and what weight they lift on a day to day basis is usually based on RPE as lifting say 80% of your max does not take into account any variabilities.

Jonas was obviously on a great day, if he was a slave to the numbers and backed off to 360 he would be leaving time out on the course.

20 watts is a huge amount though once above threshold, but yes, he was obviously on a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

was thinking about this too. not just TT performances, but general racing seems to be on another level recently. average speeds way up.

Is it the equipment (faster bikes and wheels)? plus riders all having access to better training tools and techniques (everyone coached, power meters, nutrition plans).

21 minutes used to win a 10 mile time trial. now its 18 mins. in fairness, the 21 minute wins are probably 20 years ago. the bikes, gear and positions are definitely way faster. And there's riders who focus specifically on time trials.

Road racing seems to be a couple of Km/hr faster in each category too though. Even club league stuff is off the chart. I know scratch groups averaging 45-48 km/hr regularly for an hours racing.

pretty much zero testing at local races, aside from championship events? I know of a couple of cases in recent times where lads have bought 'supplements' online, and have been tested at events and fallen foul. but is it more widespread?

or am I just getting slower in my old age and everyone else is staying the same speed??

There's no accepted level but there's a known level that has been achieved in the past, for sure. It would be interesting to compare Vinga's TT effort to that.

1) I've no idea. No background in pharma/medicine. Historically, teams have been one step ahead in terms of treatments/methods of administration, though.

2) The testing regime is flawed. Always has been. Riders have a biological passport so their blood levels are tracked over time but at no time are required to provide power data. That doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement

What are average speeds like for 3hr races though? I think the increase in speed in the league races is easily explainable. In a nutshell, Zwift racing. People have gone nuts for Zwift. Aren't those races about an hour long. People can generally last an hour at v high intensity. They don't need to put in 4 and 5 hour rides on a Saturday and Sunday to get to a good level for an hour long race. I think take a huge percentage of those who perform well in a local league race and put them into a 130km race and they're gone out the back after an hour and a quarter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

On the "why didn't he test positive" question. Is testing that infallible that you can simply dismiss any raised eyebrows with twas negative mate move on? Wasn't there some discussion in the past that the whole passport system just meant you start doping younger so your mega levels remain consistent?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

one example is a race from the opening weekend of the season. flatish circuit.

2016 a1/2 podium 40.9km/h (I appear to have been dropped that day! def wasn't me on the podium)

2017 a1/2 race - 40.4 km/h (my own average - pretty sure I finished in the bunch).

missing a few years then, because I didn't ride it or covid or the race wasn't held.

2023 a3 race. 40.9 km/h (looking at a team mate who was in the top 20 in a1/2, with a 43.3 km/h average!)

I recall pre-2015 as an a3 I would have been impressed with a 40 average. more likely the avg speed would have been in the late 30s.

granted, this race is around 2 hours, or a bit less for a3, so not anywhere near 3 hours. but its the trend I've felt for a few years now, def since racing re-started after covid. speeds up a couple of km/h in all categories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I don't believe that capturing power data as part of a passport scheme is ever going to be a practical option. There are far too many variables including proper, frequent calibration. And even if you were to implement some form of tamper-proof, auto-calibrated power-meter, what's to stop the rider in question from riding slightly under their actual maximum when using that meter and doing their "proper" training on a different bike altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'm not sure many would defend the testing as in any way infallible - we've all seen that it's not. The issue is more that the performance in question is so far off the curve that if it was doping, you'd expect to see some massive change in key biological parameters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Look at the Newbridge GP this year, I'd say 10+kmph faster than usual but that was the weather rather than the racers being better, as well as huge crowds leaving loads of riders to burn up and discarded. Comparing local races between years without looking at starting lists, weather and so on means nothing. Even with the pros, loads of courses change slightly, some really slow days and so on. This said doping is present at an amateur level as well, how much so, I don't know but there is a reason I suspect one league has riders doing better now than 40 years ago and its not the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In fairness, how many riders in the peloton would be considered excellent time-trialists who could compete for a stage?

Pog and Jonas are excellent time trialists, but add in an uphill stage, and huge motivation and they were always going to be head and shoulders over everyone else, even Van Aart.

Of course... No one would argue that, although Skjelmoze at odds of 200/1 pre-stage caught my eye and he did a great ride as well.

It's the gap between the top 2 that's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Ciccone went faster than vingegoord over the steepest section to take the KOM points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭flatty

I cycle with a lovely man who is chief scientist at a biotech company. He informed me that they were aware of an athlete testing positive for an as yet unbanned epo precursor which is only in phase one clinical trials. These are men trying to make a living in a brutal sport. There is wealth only at the very very top. It is surprising really that more don’t dope. I have little doubt that there’s still doping in lots of sports. It is far far far far easier to buy the stuff, easier to reduce the risk of getting caught, and human nature hasn’t changed.

Advertisement