Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Alan Partridge did a series on BBC called This Time. It was a spoof of a standard BBC talk show. Watching that is like watching Tubs on the LLS, except in This Time, the cringe is intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I wonder did Steve Coogan interview Tubridy for research purposes. Ryan would have been flattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭RoTelly

On her arrival into her position at RTÉ Dee Forbes decorated her office to the tune of €16k, she also got a moving expense of €50k.

No corporation has to deal with 3rd parties, when it comes to employment. You might say if you need your lawyer to review your contract you should speak with them before signing.

Next 5K is more difficult but in a marathon you don't stop, so lets move forward what's next on the list? And we are assume that in the last 2 months the first 5K is complete, so that means RTÉ are now into their next 5K. What do they do?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Bakhurst has to go as part of the clean up. That's obvious now. He is part of the old wasteful ask-no-questions elite culture. He needs to identify a new governance model and bring in new leadership with no baggage. Then he needs to leave. Siun also needs to go.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I am going to give Siun the benefit of the doubt, she's battling this as a new Chair to the board. IMO most of the board need to be removed at this point think most of them bar the Chair have been on the board for 3+ years. The staff at RTÉ should be pissed off with Robert Shortt.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

RTE were certainly way too flaithiúlach with the money for sure. That can be certainly knocked on the head.

RTE will hit difficulty if they decide to never negotiate with agents. It's a part of life that in certain industries that people are represented by agents, e.g. the football industry and more applicable to RTE, the showbiz industry. The BBC deal with their 'stars' agents all the time as do many other TV/Radio stations.

I'm not suggesting that RTE stop after the first 5k. I'm just saying it gets more difficult. I'm not claiming to know what the next step is either. I recommended in a previous post that they need stronger finace arrangements, I don't think that is in place yet. Maybe try that.

All I'm saying is that if there's going to be cultural change in RTE, it won't happen overnight. It'll take years.

Ah so now we are into years. Not months not a year.

I put forward a plan of action to the dept and the BAI, I got to speak to the chair of the BAI, and I was not expecting that he would have even known what I was talking about, I though it had fallen on deaf ears but he turned to me and said simply "You have to remember what you are asking for is a revolution and a certain amount of inertia happens in a revolution when it first starts".

I agree with you and the chair of the BAI inertia does set in, but that was 10 years ago and all I have seen from RTÉ is inertia so that plan could have been implemented 10 years ago and we would have now a foundation for (what I feel and may not be the case) a better public service broadcasters.

Instead 10 years on we are at a stage of complete total inertia.

Simple steps to making RTÉ a stronger broadcaster for the audience will be devoured by people protecting their nest.

For example examining the cost of the Daytime show Today, the cost of actors on Fair City (to make it more equitably for all actors on the show, examine the number of writers v the number of producers and so on), saying "you know this summer RTÉ News probably shouldn't take that August break" and what about those podcast how are they really doing with the audience perhaps we could better utilize them across our platforms.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, she didn’t tell the story like that. Running his hand up and down her back was her telling. Fook all to do with “protective.” He was mortified as well. And her telling it was to “expose” him. Why else would she embarrass him like that in public..

anyway, regardless of that, he was clearly superior an interviewer to Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This is my real issue with Tubs; he just doesn't have the chops for the gigs he's been doing yet he's still doing it (until recently at least) and paid stupid money for it. He's just no good at it and seeing him being promoted like he has been since childhood, despite clearly lacking the ability that's required, makes no sense. The guy needing cue cards at this stage of his career illustrates how out of his depth he is.

Yet, he'll be back despite all the skullduggery. No changes, and the toxic culture at RTE seems to have survived unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

huh didn't take Ryan long to use poor Sinead's death (RIP) as a way to try and reclaim some lost ground... wanker.. again - making it all about him! "look at Sinead, my Mum and I at Vicar St".. blah blah.. ie: people - look at how much I care - bet RTE paid for their tickets for the gig..

I bet Sinead wasn't a fan of his after the scandal broke.. (RIP our darling Sinead)..

I really dislike him more and more... mates think I am too hard on him... but I don't think I am...

Also - I went to see the Barbie movie (which is hillllarious btw) - and there's a scene where one of the guys says how they could make a killing on some sort of Barbie - can't rem the type - twas something inappropriate anyway.. but Mr Mattel said no, that its not about the bottom line but about seeing little girls happy... I thought of Tubs... if he lovvvvved the "children of Ireland" as much as he claims to, he would not be ripping off their parents by looking for increases in TV licences' and salary etc.. wanker - not an ounce of integrity in him

Even they way he goes on about kids is v condescending imo...

I think he loved the kids as they make him look big - huh....

Sounds harsh but there ya go... thats how I feel

• Advertisement

You must be mixing me up with another poster. I never said anything about months or a year. I replied to you in previous posts saying it was an ultra marathon and could take years and years. And yes, you can start to reform RTE now, but it's unrealistic to think it will be totally reformed in a timeframe shorter than years and years.

I don't totally follow the point you are making with the rest of your post. Here's what I think you are saying.

1. That nothing has been done in the last 10 years and that it's a missed opportunity.
    2. All costs should be examined.
    3. People will resist because they are protecting their nest.

Have I missed anything?

There's loads of changes that can be made, and I'm saying go ahead and make them, but don't expect everything can be done overnight.

Decades really?

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

I am not expect everything to change over night, but even some of the things that I have mentioned.

For example lets pretend for a moment you are the new DG, and you say to your Leadership team, lets take an over view of what we do. You say to Adrian and Niamh as leaders in TV and Radio come back to me in a week with an overview of our programmes and their costs.

So you examine the document they have delivered and you consider what RTÉ are providing. It's detailed because Adrian and Niamh are leaders. And on Adrian's list of programmes you see Today.

It details the number of episode, presenters and production costs and its audience level.

Now the above is all part of the marathon your running.

Two things come from the document: Repeats during the summer are no different in audience number for the daily live show and the costs seem excessive

What's your next move: -

1. Cancel Today until such time as you can consider the amount of money being spend on the show.
    2. Continue with the show until Dec when you will make a bigger decision in January about Daytime TV on RTÉ.
    3. Cancel the show completely and say money is better spend on expanding the nationwide programme and supporting the news channel.

Or do you think the DG has even considered asking Adrian and Niamh to provide such a report.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

If he did, and it is debatable that he was not frustrated by Tubs interviewing, then a good presenter or interviewer should have been able to reign him in. Not only was Tubs unable to do that, he fueled Goodings behaviour. That is if you are assuming he was not the cause of it.

Tubridy is a terrible presenter, there is no denying it, as much as people try to defend him, there comes a time when presented with so much evidence, they must concede.

I would love to see what his name is like in Hollywood for those that have heard of him, and those that have been asked to go on his show and refused.

Would anyone know if there is a list of hollywood celebrities that have appeared on TLLS, and the dates? I would love to see when it started to fizzle out and how bad it became under his time at the show.

I don't know why you are arguing with me. We are on the same side here. We both know that change is needed and that it should start immediately. I'm not saying do nothing for another 10 years.

The general wisdom is that it can take 3 - 5 years to enact real cultural change in a large organisation. Now add in the fact that it's a strongly unionised semi-state organisation in Ireland, you can add on at least another 3 - 5 years onto that to enact real cultural change. That's not to say that nothing will change in the meantime. Far from it. A cultrual change is a gradual process of improvement.

Certainly immediate actions can be taken that can have an immediate effect. What you've said above in 1, 2, 3 makes sense. If something can be actioned, then go for it.

The problem is I know Kevin has not asked Adrian or Niamh to create such a document. I know they are just waiting. I know Kevin has looked at PR. He's saying what can we say to the public right now, no action, nothing. Because none of them really know what to do, they are running around like headless chickens, promoting documentaries from BBC NI and the Oireachtas / CnaM for their summer months, programmes VMTV or TG4 could have aired.

Sadly he does not have 3 to 5 years. Because they are f*cked.

______

Yesterday

Tubridy is a terrible presenter. And Cuba was a sh1tebag that night. Those two can exist together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I do think the public façade Tubridy/Noel Kelly carefully constructed has been ripped away and there is no going back for Tubridy. Cynicism will follow him for the rest of his life. Its hard to see how RTE can ever have any credibility in terms of holding people to account if the likes of Tubridy go back there.

And its not just cynicism towards Tubridy, its RTE in general. Never a Prime Time Investigates about RTE before this all broke and the latest coverage was purely a reaction to the story. The idea that those in news and current affairs in RTE didn't know about dodgy goings-on in RTE defies belief or that they didn't know about the free cars, and extremely dodgy tax situations going on doesn't hold water. RTE was always great for pointing fingers at others, but never at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Which is why Bakhurst was given the job in the first place ie to get the golden boy back. Bakhurst is a company man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why was he a shitebag walshb? It seemed to me he was frustrated and bored by the inane questions he was being asked. Ryan said in that interview he was a huge fan of McGyver but did not know even know the name of the character Cuba played. If he had done 10 minutes of research he could have found that out. Just think of how Gay would have handled that interview. You can be sure if he asked a question he would make sure he had done his own research on the topic beforehand.

A good presenter finds a way to reign them in or just goes with the flow. As someone astutely observed earlier a good presenter essentially plays a character. Ryan can't do that, you just see him and it's makes for poor entertainment.

Ryan flounders, often ignores what is being said and is desperate to return to the cue cards. It would not surprise me if other well known actors avoided the show after hearing what he is like as a presenter.

Yet Kevin wants to bring him back. It's just baffling. There must be something I am missing. Go on then Kevin since Ryan is such a great talent put him on the graveyard shift then let's see if he brings in the same revenue as a presenter on at 10 am in the morning.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That must be it. What other conclusion can be reached. As I said a while back it's meet the new boss,meet the old Boss with him. Kevin is just there to sweep it all under the rug. A temporary safe pair of hands before someone else takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I used to listen to him on radio. He has a habit of switching topics, like a random stream of consciousness. Is he suffering from ADHD ?

Its odd but Tommy Tiernan, who had no experience at being a talkshow host, or years of experience at presenting shows on radio or television on a daily basis, is a far far more naturally talented talkshow presenter than Tubridy. Tiernan can make the most mundane of guest sound interesting and the interviews are compelling, and I'm saying that as someone who was never a big fan of Tiernan.

Tiernan knows how to master silence, has the comic timing, knows when to let the guest go down a certain route and let them stay on that route. Gaybo had all that too.

I thought Tubridy improved in recent years and thankfully threw away the cue cards for the most part, but when he started fidgeting with his jacket during the start of his final show, I thought, wow you're back to being a rank amateur at this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He threw away the cue cards because he was using a promoter on a screen. The guy is a cardboard cut out in an interview, when it doesn't go his way he throws a strop live. Complete clown

Can you image RTE pitching to him what Tommy does and he doesn't know the guest? people have arrived on Tommy show and he has no idea who or what they do. Then can manage to make a decent interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

like a random stream of consciousness

Ryan probably thinks he's an Irish literary version of Virginia Woolf, what with him being so well read. Actually, he appears to inhabit a parallel universe, markedly different to the one the rest of us poor buggers live in. In his, you only get sycophantic feedback rather than the truth. He'll never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And wasn't that dropped a few years ago - I wonder why...well not really

The beauty of the old LLS under Gaybo was you never knew what was going to happen or who was going to be on. Byrne deliberately cultivated this as he wanted the whole country talking about what happened the next day.

Once Pat Kenny got involved all that disappeared and it continued under Tubridy. Predictable and structured.

• Advertisement

The Tommy Tiernan Show is still going, IMO he's too slow at asking a question, and its slowly become another RTÉ chat show.

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement