Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone play Resident Evil 2 Remake yet?

Options
  • 21-07-2023 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Released in 2019 so I assume so?

I used to hang out at my neighbours house for HOURS playing this as a kid.

The remake is like the ultimate in nostalgia.

What. A. Game.

It did not disappoint (like Final Fantasy 7 did, Jebus so much went wrong there).

Gameplay, slightly modified story line, interaction. Both scenarios being their own version of unique and the add on short games - zero disappointment.

I love horror films, and I like submersive video games = win win.

Curious whether any of the other remakes, or even any of the other games from the entire series live up to this?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I am going to be playing this next after Final Fantasy 16 with the hope it leads me into Resident 3 and 4 remakes. I played the original RE2 and loved it but bizarrely never bothered with another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I absolutely adored RE2 Remake. I thought they absolutely nailed the feel and nostalgia of the original while still letting it be its own thing and not be burdened by trying to be a faithful replica. It was slightly disappointing that there weren't more differences between Leon and Claire's paths, but I still think the game achieved everything it needed to.

RE3 Remake was very good, but didn't quite hit the same heights for me. There's only one campaign, it's a lot more action-focused, fewer puzzles, and Nemesis is a lot more based around scripted set-pieces compared to the danger of hearing Mr.X's thundering footsteps following you around. It's still a really fun game though if you enjoyed RE2.

RE4 Remake is also excellent. Like the original, it's pretty much pure action from the get-go, but throws mountains of quick, nimble enemies at you. The game is balanced pretty well though in terms of ammo, resources etc; always outnumbered never outgunned. Apparently pretty faithful to the original though with some of the more outlandish bits from the original removed.

All the games just have terrific design, in terms of graphics, audio and gameplay. They're all an absolute joy to play. For me, RE2 Remake would be my pick of the three, I think it just absolutely nailed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought the Resi 2 remake was close to perfection to be honest. The only criticism is that felt a little bit stripped down in the latter stages of the game compared to the original. That minor detail aside, it's perfection.

Resi 3 remake was appalling. I'd recommend avoiding it unless it's very cheap. They gutted content, filled it with irritating setpieces, removed a lot of player agency and made Jill completely unlikable.

4 remake is pretty good. I didn't like it at first. There are a few irritances but on the whole it's excellent. Highly recommended.

Make sure you play Resi 7, the game that made all of this possible and Resi Village at some point. They're both fantastic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone is forgetting the real best Resident Evil game, the Resident Evil 1 Remake. As much as I love the Resident Evil 2 remake, the Resi 1 remake is stellar. Improves upon the base game so much but makes it a different experience so it's still worth going back to play the original.

So I’m a bit into this and for the life of me I can’t remember the Mr X fella in the original but I suppose with the limitations of PS1 it would have been more scripted while this one stalks me around like that film ‘It Follows’

Thankfully I had most of the Station cleared and familiar with all the routes but the dread of his footsteps is just brilliant horror

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He only showed up in the second playthrough when you picked the second character. The main antagonist of the first campaign was Berkin. Mr X was pretty much scripted in the original.

Is this the remastered HD version from about 2015? Going to try it if so since I enjoyed RE2 so much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It came out much sooner for Gamecube originally. You must be referring to the Steam version which would have come out about then. I remember being gutted when my laptop couldn't handle it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Was just searching on the PlayStation store and had a release date January 2015 for PS4 but yeah looks to be a HD remastered version of the GameCube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The RE 1 remake.

Jill was remastered so damn well.

Another excellent game though RE2 remake is even better again.

The original RE series were the golden age of horror gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Resident Evil 2 is still my favourite remake so far. They did a wonderful job with to the point where it seems almost perfect. I played through all the remakes only a short while ago so it's all still fresh in my mind.

What other title from that series would you recommend after RE 2 remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Resident Evil 4 remake was very good too. I didn't mind Resident Evil 3 but it's probably the weakest of the remakes.

I’m on the 4th one now. Hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Currently playing 3make after playing 2 earlier this year both on steam deck. 2 is probably the best game I’ve played in 10 years imo. And really enjoying 3 too though not nearly as atmospheric

I wasn't feeling the 3 original, really at all.

2 was a work of art back when, I've iced the remake, and the extra modes are genius (which I've also iced).

Just trying to figure out what's next, I think "village" comes recommended?

Village is excellent but you should play 7 first.

Does the first person perspective take away from the "horror story" feel conventional RE series games had?

I've read good things and recommendations about RE 7 but, in contrast to all the games up to 4 in the series, it based on the 1st person view - which seems like a shift into "shoot the bad guys" versus the conventional "horror film in a game".

Also back when playing first person games like "Quake", they'd make me dizzy for some reason.

Hated that.

Not remotely. 7 has a few rough edges such as unskippable cutscenes but it's very much a horror game. Village is more action oriented but they're both good games which is remarkable given that they followed Resi 6.

• Advertisement

It honestly feels more like a resident evil game than 5 or 6. It's surprising how much of that classic feel it retains while adding that first person twist.

Advertisement