Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What if they are only gearing up to the world cup? What if they don't give a shite about this shortened tournament.

Your claim was that they might just not care, which there is zero evidence at all to back up - from the team they picked to their early travel to how frustrated and shook the team looked during the match.

Stating 'we'll see' simply makes zero sense, as all the evidence already happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whether or not SA do well in the world cup, the performance in NZ was just objectively bad. It would not be beneficial for any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

It was a defensive disaster but NZ had a brilliant start which is one of those things that happens against them sometimes (and against Ireland), yet SA came back into the game very well. Rassie's substitutions and moving around the backline really did the damage in the second half. That was self inflicted.

Sure, its incredibly frustrating when you play them.

But it was not good preparation for a tournament where they may well have to play the same team. It just highlighted that they aren't at the same level - and they were clearly targeting the game given the selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

I agree, not ideal prep this close to the competition to figure out what you shouldn't be doing. I think it's also the case that the shortened championship before a WC always has an Asterix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't need evidence. Why would I need evidence for a supposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

You're basically saying SA lost on purpose. I dont really see how it could benefit them in anyway and if they lost because they didnt care about beating one of their RWC rivals then I would find that even more alarming. It means they are going into a RWC having lost to Ireland, France & NZL in their last outing against all 3...idk about you but I am struggling to see the logic for this...

I'm not saying that. I'm speculating. I think they are more likely attempting to get their squad ready for the important challenge, rather than the lesser tournament.

I assume this is the "evidence". Where does it say they purposely lost. I offer a viewpoint based on the rugby being played in France.

By gearing up for the RWC you mean just keep doing what they've been doing this WC cycle? Again not giving a **** about this tournament is a bad sign, how with that attitude can they have any aspirations of winning a big QF never mind the WC? Its great if they are loaded man for man, what they need to do is actually show it on the pitch and no they aren't finding balance its literally the same team that played in the RWC 4 years ago bar the players injured etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I expect a bit of a backlash from australia today, and then a 15 point loss as NZ expand on their newly acquired confidence and tactical approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You can tell by selection whether SA were going all out to win that game. Rested players v Australia to try prep for NZ.

In contrast, Australia using this match coming up now to try get a squad capable of winning a world cup QF match then its game on....there can't be realistic expectations that this Aus team will win this match.

Sad to see Australia so poor, I always liked them some of my favourite players wear green and gold in my 30 years of watching rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some amount of pre-match stuff here, is it ever gonna kick off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Wow. That try happened in the blink of an eye.

NZ kicking game has been impressive the last couple of matches.

Scott Barrett won the 50/50 on the ground earlier in the play then kills the 9 to create the try

Australia have finally discovered their culture the last few years. They need to learn to abbreviate it a bit. At least they've added a bit of a dance now to combat the NZ dance.

I'm sorry, but that is not reaching to place the ball. That's a clear second movement. His entire body moved forward, not just his arm.

That Barrett hit was about as perfect a thumping hit as you'll get!

Early days but I actually really like the look of the new Australian 10, if he keeps going at this rate I'd keep at 10 going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This has been a lively start. 7-5, 8mins

And Koroibete equals Barrett with a perfectly legal crunching hit! And Australia get the turn over.

• Advertisement

The tackler never released on the tackle with Telea and went straight at the ball. Come on Wayne Barnes....sort it out.

Aussies getting the better of the breakdown especially after they force NZ into 5/6 phases.

The amount of lads getting taken out off the ball is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Skelton playing very well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

NZ getting away with a lot at the breakdown! Good few times they’ve been off feet/sealing off etc and Barnes does nothing! Also a high ball a few mins ago an Aussie player competing for the ball was just swatted away by a runner!

Dunno what game you're watching. There's been a tonne of poor calls in favour of Aussie 🤷‍♂️

That's not a try for me

Joke. He clearly kicked the ball, touched it with his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Hopefully it’s the same one lol! It’s only the NZ ones I’ve noticed so far, I’ll keep an even sharper eye out 😉

• Advertisement

looked more like a GAA pick up really to me. It wasn't a kick even if it touched his foot.

Though it very much seemed like the yellow wasn't coming until after the botched quick tap.

Advertisement