Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing to External Wall Insulation

Options
  • 12-11-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm considering installing EWI for my home. Something that I can't seem to find information on is the issue of fixing hanging baskets, hose reels or even a new light to the external walls after it has been installed. I understand grounding can be installed now at the planning stage before the render is applied but if I decide to add something in 5 years, is it possible to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, with the use of special fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

erooney wrote:
    I'm considering installing EWI for my home. Something that I can't seem to find information on is the issue of fixing hanging baskets, hose reels or even a new light to the external walls after it has been installed. I understand grounding can be installed now at the planning stage before the render is applied but if I decide to add something in 5 years, is it possible to do so?

there are special screw in fixings very similar to the plasterboard ones but bigger.these are used for downpipes after ewi is done.I have hung external lights using them with no problems but I think hanging baskets might be a bit heavy and pull out of the insulation.there are 150mm frame fixings that may suit better

• Registered Users Posts: 13 erooney

mick121 wrote: »
    there are special screw in fixings very similar to the plasterboard ones but bigger.these are used for downpipes after ewi is done.I have hung external lights using them with no problems but I think hanging baskets might be a bit heavy and pull out of the insulation.there are 150mm frame fixings that may suit better

Ok, thank you, I wanted the ins and outs before I get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

can i hijack the thread to ask how tough is EWI? is it easily damaged? i've heard stories that it can easily be compressed and pushed in like polystyrene boards. I've yet to examie a house up close but am considering it...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

brianiac wrote: »
    can i hijack the thread to ask how tough is EWI? is it easily damaged? i've heard stories that it can easily be compressed and pushed in like polystyrene boards. I've yet to examie a house up close but am considering it...

In areas of expected impact a mesh should be installed, once specified and installed correctly there is no issue. Also check manufacturers & installers guarentee and ask them what they will do if it's damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 erooney

I will be getting ewi installed over the summer. I'm not an expert. I can't tell you exactly how tough it is, but most installers air on the side of caution and will tell you that you will have to be careful with ladders, kids playing against it, wheelie bins banging off it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

cool beans. ta

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wideboyy

In regard to the 150mm fixings referred to by mick121

"150mm frame fixings that may suit better"

Can you point to where I could get those to see what they look like?

I need to attach an eye bolt for broadband. Need to bolt through the insulation and into the blockwork without putting any lateral pressure on the insulation render. Needs to take weight of cable strung from nearby pole.

Also need to mount small box, but can use the plasterboard screw type for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

M10 Anchor Bolt, untread the bolt and use some M10 threaded bar cut to length and put something on it.

You will want a deep drill to the blockwork to prevent lateral movement. not full proof though there will still be movement id imagine if your cable moves at all.

Another option is to use a 7.5 X 180mm concrete screw.These can be got in Screwfix bit it means buying a box of 100.Some large builder's providers may sell individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

I had it done. For existing stuff such as satellite dish and side gate - they bolted some small blocks of wood to the house wall and the stuff was screwed on to that (it is plastered over so you have to know it is there). They put everything back as it was for me. Smaller items were just mounted to the insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

paddyb wrote: »
    I had it done. For existing stuff such as satellite dish and side gate - they bolted some small blocks of wood to the house wall and the stuff was screwed on to that (it is plastered over so you have to know it is there). They put everything back as it was for me. Smaller items were just mounted to the insulation

He's past that point though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

if you don't want any movement, then rethink it because you will need a very big fixing not to flex somewhat

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if you don't want any movement, then rethink it because you will need a very big fixing not to flex somewhat

You'd probably need to open a hole wider than the fixing, attach it to house structure and then fill the gap with something flexible and not prone to cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

wideboyy wrote: »
    In regard to the 150mm fixings referred to by mick121

"150mm frame fixings that may suit better"

Can you point to where I could get those to see what they look like?

I need to attach an eye bolt for broadband. Need to bolt through the insulation and into the blockwork without putting any lateral pressure on the insulation render. Needs to take weight of cable strung from nearby pole.

Also need to mount small box, but can use the plasterboard screw type for that.

Can you mount a pole close to where the eyebolt is needed or perhaps fix the cable first to something solid close by like a facia board. This will take a lot of pressure off the wall fixing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

To resurrect this thread. I've just had ewi applied and for the small stuff fixing to the walls - external lights, house number and mail box special fixings like plaster board fixings, but with a much larger lip around the top were used. For larger stuff like the car charger and gates I'm using pedestals & posts into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

To ressurect this thread again can anyone recommend some kind of ladder pad that spreads the load against the wall when using a ladder?

My house is 2 storey and gutters need cleaning and unblocking and I'm worried about the pressure a normal ladder would have against it.

Was thinking about some kind of rubber foam type material but unsure if a ready made product exists specifically for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Shoog

My sons house was externally insulated and they cannot get Fibre Broadband because they refuse to penetrate the insulation. They also claim that they do not have the correct ladders to work against it.

I would imagine this could be quite common for many contractors.

Yep NBI were the same with me. Something to do with being sued by homeowners for breaching the external fabric. I got them to put it in through a ventilation duct above the kitchen cabinets and mounted the ONT there and fed the CAT5 through the wall to the router.

But anyway, back to ladder pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A ladder standoff is normally used to spread the load of the ladder on the wall as well as stabilise the ladder. I'd presume that it would provide the required level of support for an EWI, but I'd expect that the finish be solid enough to take a ladder in some way!

Example:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would try splitting some pipe lagging and duct taping it to the ladder stays.

I know you asked for ready made products but (a) this is the DIY forum, and (b) pipe lagging and duct tape are both ready-made 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Had my fibre cable installed last week, Actavo installers had no problems fixing the anchor hook for the cable and had rubber ends on the ladder.

These work. Smaller one for the likes of downpipes and lights, the bigger one you could hang the 5 lamps on it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That question you're answering was asked 9 years ago.

I have ewi 13 years now and I've been using my standard ladder several times a year against it to clean gutters, access roof etc without any issues regarding dents or damage.

My neighbour also has it and he taped lots of bubble wrap around the top of the ladder.

Id use a standoff with some timber across the bottom of it (as any standoffs I have seen are not "flat" on the part that touches the wall)

I was thinking of using the rubber that cow mats are made from. Grippy yet strong enough to be able to bolt to the ladder or plank on a standoff as suggested without ripping.

Its not just grippy you need though, you need to spread the weight. If your standoff has "legs" that typically rest against the wall then you need something to turn these legs into a wider base to spread the load.

e.g. in the below, the two rubber feet are not spreading the load across a large area, they are just there for grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Advertisement