Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Japanese import

Options
2»

Comments

What is Ro-Ro transport from Japan to Dublin costing these days per Cubic Metre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What is Ro-Ro transport from Japan to Dublin costing these days per Cubic Metre?

Cheap enough for importers to make a profit.

I was looking at prices at auction and I couldn't see how dealers were making good profit unless they were buying grade 3 or 3.5 higher mileage cars based on the shipping rates I was seeing.
    To be fair a grade 3 or 3.5 7 year old JDM car would be "spotless" compared to the equivalent Irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was looking at prices at auction and I couldn't see how dealers were making good profit unless they were buying grade 3 or 3.5 higher mileage cars based on the shipping rates I was seeing.
    To be fair a grade 3 or 3.5 7 year old JDM car would be "spotless" compared to the equivalent Irish car.

Knock a few thou of her and she's ready for the Paddy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

Shipping from Japan to Ireland is about €1300 - €1700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There are no VW factories in Japan. The Santana was briefly built by Nissan in Japan in the '80s but that's it. And the Mk.5 Polo was never built in Germany either. So it's probably either from Spain just like ours, or possibly Malaysia but I can't confirm that.

If someone wants to check the VIN on their imported Polo we'd have a better idea ;)

There is a VW factory in China do.
    Could they come from there?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I priced a Landcruiser recently and it came in at just under 2k.

Oops! wrote: »
    I priced a Landcruiser recently and it came in at just under 2k.
    Is that a quote in US dollars?
    Landcruiser is a big machine. They'd calculate that at 18 cubed metres I think so that is just a bit over 100 dollars per metre cubed.

No euros... It was all part of the deal.

I don't know how the Jap importers are making money with freight charges like them for the lower priced cars like Polos and Yaris.
    Duty gets applied to the freight cost too.

• Advertisement

I don't know how the Jap importers are making money with freight charges like them for the lower priced cars like Polos and Yaris.
    Duty gets applied to the freight cost too.

There's money in the clean stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Just bought a Japanese import Polo, it’s extremely highly specced for the money, not a mark on it. And auto, which I’d been looking for.

Here’s the reply from VW re App-Connect:

Your vehicle has been produced specifically for the Asian market and complies with the applicable specifications for that continent. Furthermore, this refers also to the vehicle-related telematics unit, which cannot communicate with the German servers, thus does not support the We Connect services offered in the European continent.

Shame. I’d hate to have to replace the head unit. Still, I can see maps on my phone and hear guidance through the car speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

just important that they have an immobiliser ?

New head unit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto is circa €300 and you could sell the old one for a few quid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Get F all for the old one

Ref head unit,I'd advise forget these Chinese ones ( especially cheapies)

Slow,and smaller ram etc than advertised.

I have one and it's shite.

Waiting to get a pioneer SPH 250 dab in( expensive but worth it- had this model in my old car)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anything VW group JDM will have an immobiliser.

App-Connect fixed! Just needed the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Put up the info here.

It might help the next guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I have a VW Passat Jap import and a great buy. Huge spec and couldn’t be happier!

• Advertisement

jester_tcr on Instagram. Very knowledgeable guy. Louth/Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 palmtrees01

Do you mind saying where you bought it from? Looking to buy a polo/golf myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 civilathanasiou

Did you find any solution I have the same problem now with my car. He had inside a clarion screen and the maps are japanese

Replace it. You can’t even change the language or get many Irish radio stations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Good advice- replace

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Felmo

Hi guys, resurrecting this post, I bought a 2015 Polo imported from Japan with the Japanese head unit, I was thinking in replacing it for one of the ones in the picture, would anyone have contact information of someone in Dublin who has these units? I know it’s simple but I would also like if the person could install the unit, thanks

Search ‘Carplay’ on instagram and a few pages will show up that can supply & fit them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I.C.E. On Sandford Road in Ranelagh are very good & been in business there over 40 years. They’ll be able to advise you on your options, supply & install a head unit for you.

Check them out 👍🏼

Advertisement