Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I actually don't accept any of those arguments as small men would be at the same level as average women. Bigger then average women would be at the same level as average men.

I shoot regularly, with men and women and there is literally no advantage in being male.

There are sports where males and females should not compete against each other, but there are plenty, including the ones I listed where there is no advantage either way.

Making excuses for women isn't required

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Do you think the pub is the only place that these can be practised in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I disagree with your statement that there's literally no advantage in being male when it comes to shooting. It all depends on the type of shooting you are doing. Your statement may be true for certain events but it's not true across the entire range of shooting disciplines. In the Olympics, the only shooting event that women typically score higher than the men in is in the 10m air rifle category. Open to correction on that though. Men are well ahead in all of the pistol disciplines.

I've competed in both National and International Gallery Rifle and Pistol shooting competitions where I've shot side by side with women and I can tell you that in the disciplines that I compete in, the men consistently outshoot the women. That's not to say I've never been beaten by a woman. I have. But I can't ever remember a woman winning a middling to big competition.

In the interests of fairness, you'd expect more men to win because more men compete than women, but certainly strenght and fitness comes into it. And once you have strength and fitness as a key component when it comes to winning, it's more likely that the winner will be a man because of biology.

Regarding you accepting the arguments, there are valid points made in those arguments. Men have an advantage over women when it comes to snooker. Here's a simple instance. Men are, in general, taller than women so they typically have longer reach. This means that the average man can reach more shots than the average woman without having to resort to using the rest. That's an advantage right there.

Same for darts. The average man has a longer reach than the average woman.

The bowling example that was given is also valid.

You don't have to agree, but whether or not you agree, there are advantages in most sports to being male.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Competitions in e-sports (gaming) or card games like poker are about as close to being a level playing field as you could get between men and women but everything else I can think of requires some form of physical exertion which favours men due to the physical advantages the average man has over the average woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did I say that, lol? I talked about barriers to entry. Yes of course a young woman can fork out of pocket to have a snooker table in her home or go to the pool hall and be just as harassed by men. These are not things a man has to worry about, he can learn the game for a few goins and no sexual harassment.

• Advertisement

You are making rather large assumptions here, again. Have you ever been to a snooker hall? Something tells me you haven't.

Have you been to every snooker hall? Something tells me you haven't. How long do you want to keep doing this. Are you really so unwilling to merely accept that women have more barriers to entry into Snooker than men?

Is this the latest thing you will hold onto to avoid the original topic of the thread?

I have been to plenty of snooker halls, so please tell me what barriers there are?

I just told you one of them, sexual harassment. Feel free to disagree, but you cannot possibly speak for all men and all snooker halls. Pray that all snooker halls find themselves so virtuous and stay so virtuous and inclusive as you implicate them of being and in a generation maybe we will see a woman champion yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Advertisement

I have, that's how I know they lean toward being misogynistic places. You can just ask me directly.

You seems to be speak on behalf of all men in snooker halls from the looks of things there.

I am sincerely puzzled how you could contort to such a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I would think that at very long distance event like ultra running/cycling and swimming women may be very close to men.

I talking of multi day events like RAAM, TCR in cycling etc.

The trouble is that you are dealing with a tiny number of people and it is difficult to be certain that having open groups would be fair. Even a woman wins RAAM is she just an extreme outlier or is there no gap. In a sport like sprinting/high jump/even marathon it is trivial to scientifically prove the male advantage but not so simple where you have tiny fields and a wide range in event length/difficulty for the really long events.

@Enduro opinion would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've covered off this before in the thread with a long enough post. But basically no... Males appear to have the same physical advantage over females in ultra distance events. Look at world records for ultra distance events. The percentag differences between the sexes braodly fir the same pattern as with shorter distances.

The biggest difference with long events is that generally males and females compete together in the same event at the same time on the same course. One big race. Results are categorised rather than the competition itself. If you did the same with shorter distances you'd start to see instances where females of more ability beat males with less, with occasional occurances of females winning outright, just like with ultra distance events. This happens because the opportunity is there for it to happen. There is no opportunity in sports with category-segregated participation.

My example the last time would be to look at any big numbers city marathon, such as Dublin. The top females will beat the vast majority of men (thousands of them). But they'll still usually be behind the top males. If the top males happened not to participate for some reason, ten you'd have a female overall winner, beating thousands of men. (Which is why anyone who brings up the fact that a transwoman does not beat every female they compete against as some kind of evidence that its fair ro allow transwomen to compete in the female category has clealy got no understanding of either sports or extremely basic statistics).

The small numbers participating is a factor for sure, as if those small number happen to include one top class female then you get the scanrio as descibed above. And since these a far from mainstream sports its likely that there a huge numbers of natually talented people who never particpate. Sprinting in contrast is probably the top sport in the world for the likelyhood of the most naturally talented discovering their skill. So that definiely increases the chances of an outlier or two resulting in outcomes that mak it look much more unusal.

Where things even right up in multi day events is in the non speed/strenght aspects. Mental skills of many kinds play an enourmous role. And there is no obvious difference between males and females that I can see on that front. Indeed some people theorise that females may have some natural advantages there. But I think they're just trying to find reasons as to why females beat males in some races and haven't figured out the significance of what I've outlined above.

The most interesting events I've been involved with as regards Male/Female comparison are expedition adventure races. From 3 days up to two weeks in some cases of non-stop multi-sport raceing, generally done in teams of 4 which have to be mixed. I won't start on that, as I could be wrtiing for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are making a great argument for female only pool spaces.

I guess one of the risks of taking the devils advocate approach on internet discussion forums is that sometimes you forget what if is you're pretending to be arguing in favour of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

On your first point, that's absolute baloney and you know it well.

Believing that transgender women who transitioned post puberty shouldn't compete with biological women on safety grounds isn't negated by not, at every passing moment, expressing grave concern for women who are injured in the course of sport with other biological women.

You seem to be using that example of some sort of "gotcha" when it's nothing of the sort whatsoever and frankly it has zero relevance to the core discussion. No sport is 100% safe, not even the most passive ones, and no-one believes otherwise.

People get injured. Sometimes badly. It happens. It's unavoidable.

Also, that biological women would keep playing sport if transgender women were freely allowed to compete is also an incredibly poor rebuttal of any points made about the principle of the matter. Of course people who love sport will play regardless - it's not the faintest scrap of proof that permitting post-puberty transwomen to compete is perfectly fine and fair.

If you want to make that argument, don't let me stop you; my argument is that men and women do not have equal barriers to entry into the sport.

That is a common occurrence here to be honest. The simplest post confuses you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So you thinks it's unfair that women suffer harassment in pool halls, but you believe men that say they are women should be allowed in women's toilets and changing rooms.

Do you not think they could suffer harassment in those safe spaces?

Or do you only care for women's fairness when it suits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Interesting from Dawkins, his use of Science will obviously be ignored by the ideologues.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Trans men are biological women.

When people use the term "female", we're using it in the conventional biological sense.

The self-ID stuff is totally irrelevant to that, in the same way sexuality or music interests are just as irrelevant.

There seems to be more of these crimes against women's sport by the week, and it's infuriating to read about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That's a legitimate way to present it if we adopt the ideological language of gender, yes.

It's not language I would use.

Another way of re-writing your sentence with exactly the same meaning is that I "want women in women only spaces".

So yes, you're right -- but that's because I was right to begin with.

Why people have to use “cis” to segregate biological females even more is beyond me.

It's ideological language I refuse to use, as it suggests biological women are merely a subset of women -- with the other subset is biological males.

Everyone should run 100 miles from that language or the temptation to "go along with" it.

It's the language that justifies discrimination and harm.

No chance I’ll use it. They can call it bigotry all they want.

• Advertisement

It's psychological bullying to force people to adopt language that they do not subscribe to, and then gaslight them by calling them bigots. Effectively the tactic is to guilt trip people into absorbing the ideological language (i.e. you are a bad person if you don't etc.).

It's quite frankly disgusting behaviour.

Advertisement