Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well, using a genny is still "off grid" but you still burn stuff and you would still rely on a supply of fossil fuel. Going without a genny is near impossible unless you are either prepared to go totally spartan for a day or two at times - run that by herself - good luck with that 😀 or have a massive wind setup too and batteries far bigger than you planned to install. Maybe a €150-€200k investment in 10-15kW wind or so and a 200kWh battery would do it with an annual maintenance budget of around €10-20k. Figures plugged out of the air, but we are talking serious money and I suspect you won't be able to do all maintenance yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think if I had 200k to invest in this project (I'm currently about 50k all in including everything I listed and the original install and all my little hacked together projects and UPS) I wouldnt put in any wind and would just have masses of solar and masses of storage, perhaps build an off grid DC charger linked to a used massive IFLA bank which I could get for very cheap from a local forklift company (problem is I have no experience with them or how they work), they run to 1000+ AH at 48V quite easily and cheaply, and I have a large garage to put them in.

I have no appetite for maintaining wind turbines. I investigated them to great depths and decided against them, the attraction of solar PV is that there minimal maintenance and minimal ongoing cost beyond adding more. The drawback is the inconsistent energy.

To your point about spartan use on consecutive winter days, that's what the storage and massive array would be for. 50kWh storage would cover at least 2 days use, as well as the intermittent generation of 4-12kWh depending on array size, so even if there was one or two days of zero, we'd still be covered. if I had my way I'd have hundreds of kWp of array, 500kWh of storage and many inverters so we would never be on grid or need a generator even in winter but of course I couldnt afford that - even in a vanity project!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's no surprise that you have to go big. In fact as I recall (and it must be some 12 even 18 months ago now) one of the first chats that we had was me saying that I worked out that I'd need 40Kwp in panels to cover winter. I've 8.8Kwp and I'm pretty much maxed out now. Originally 5.3Kwp and then added 2.3Kwp on the shed and finally added another 1.2Kwp (3 panels) to the main roof. Barring some potentially vertical panels or smaller 200w panels which could "fit in" amongst the velux windows that's me done now at 8.8Kwp.

There is however a bit of a trade off on Kwp and storage. You can get away with lower panels than (in my case) 40Kwp if you have enough storage to ride out the bad days. The hard question insofar how much is enough? That's the trick.

If you play a "thought experiment" if you had 100Kwhr in storage, then you could get away with 20Kwp as you've plenty to ride through the bad days. Even on those bad days, 20Kwp will still be generating "something" so while you might be using 15-20Kwhr, your panels will be giving a percentage of what you need. Then one decent day in winter might get your 100Kwhr battery back up from (say) 30% to 60-70% and you are good for a bit more. You'd have to model it. I know 100Kwhr sounds "a lot", but it might be cheaper to have an extra 50Kwhr in storage than to have extra 20Kwp in panels (and a lot less space) :-)

@ELM327 - " if I had 200k to invest in this project (I'm currently about 50k all in including everything I listed and the original install and all my little hacked together projects and UPS) I wouldnt put in any wind and would just have masses of solar and masses of storage,"

And what would you do in December and January? Even with 100kwp and 200kWh you would have nowhere near enough to run and heat a large family house and a few EVs. I guess you could emigrate to Spain for a few months 😉

That's the thing though, @bullit_dodger I know there's a lot more than 20-30 needed, but, like I said at the time, that 8.2kWp I installed then was step 1. Of many steps, and this next (big) step is only step 2 of many steps. I would prefer to have more panels and less storage, if there was a choice to be made, but I want both. And I have room for more after this install too, even at 20kWp I reckon I could put another 4kWp on my SSE roof and then some western panels and some on my garage that would also be SSE facing. I reckon I could indeed get to 30-40kWp. And that's without considering putting some more ground mounts - which I've gotten the ok from the boss to do. We have a great deal agreed between us, I manage the outside, the garage, the gardening etc and she does the interior and all the boring stuff like decor and furniture etc. I just want room for my cars and my solar!

@unkel this will be tested in the winter of course but going off prorated numbers from this december, and also adding in a bit more (as the new panels wont be shaded and will be optimally placed for winter generation) I should be getting an average of 12-15kWh a day which covers our daily usage. But as you say, not much excess and no car charging. Hence why I need MOAAAR! (If I didnt I'd already be scheduling networks to remove their plug). For that MOARR there will be step 3,4,5 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You wouldn't need €200K - would you? Could be a fun game to ballpark it :-)

€1K per 2.5Kwhr (lets go off the shelf battery) so that would mean €50K would get you 125kwhr of storage. I think that would be a "bit insane" so you go DIY on that and you'd easily get to 200+ Kwhr for probably €30K. Is that reasonable? (I don't know) If you did have 200Kwh you could run your house for a ~fortnight off that at 15kwhr/day. Losses not withstanding of course with zero input from solar.

Looking at some telemetry before I upgraded it my (somewhat insignificant) 5.3Kwp in E/W config did ~80Kwhr in jan last. So if you had 5x times that (25Kwp) and south facing, you'd be getting 400-500kwhr. Not going to sort out your heating requirements of course, but that should see most household right for electricity I'd say.

So probably €50-60K would see you right? Sure not an insignificant amount of money, but substantially cheaper than €200.

So yeah, 25Kwp in panels and 150-200Kwhr in storage and I'd say you'd have a good shot at getting you there or there abouts with solar alone. I think if I had the land/space though, I'd add probably 2 wind turbines, one optimized for lower speed wind and another for mid/higher speeds - assuming you've got land/location which was "daycent" :-)

@ELM327 - " this will be tested in the winter of course but going off prorated numbers from this december, and also adding in a bit more (as the new panels wont be shaded and will be optimally placed for winter generation) I should be getting an average of 12-15kWh a day"

There is not a hope of you averaging 12kWh a day over December / January. And even if you did, you could easily have 3-4 days in a row that you only average 2kWh, with barely any more either side. And do you really reckon you only use 12kWh a day for your house in winter? That's the average Irish use over the year for a small house (and use is a lot more than average in winter and a lot less than average in summer). So you don't take into account car charging, you doing that on the genny? That would cost twice as much as diesel and be even dirtier. How about DHW and home heating? Oil, or solid fuel?

So currently we have oil and wood stove for heating and DHW, in addition to whatever excess solar is used for DHW only (currently).

Future state would of course be heat pump, have already gotten a few quotes but didnt have the cash to move when I had a good deal on an ex demo unit, not paying 8-10k for a brand new one.

I know what you're getting at btw, I am aware that even step 3, 4, 5 etc of this project will not cover mid december to mid january. But the aim of each step is to close the window of on grid time during the year. For instance, now sometimes I still have to charge cars overnight on the grid, and we're in July, because the weather is worse than last month.

There's plenty of folks in the US doing this , and the UK too, so there's no reason it's not possible. I have already spent a lot of time and money chasing this ogoal but I've seen progress along the way. Even if it takes me till I'm 50 (will be 37 this year), I will get there.

Never mind the relatively small home electricity use (3MWh per year), but if you have 3 EVs (10MWh per year) and if you're going heat pump for DHW and home heating (maybe 30MWh per year with a COP of 4 and geothermal or air to water), there is simply not a hope you could ever do all that off grid without a huge wind turbine

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

July is currently worse than April nevermind June/may.

I'm currently 15% behind April, with 3 days left, and looking at the forecast it will be touch and go to even break April's numbers

Although in 2021, April beat July too. Always plenty of rain in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think I worked out that if I used every available space for PV I could in theory cover almost 90% of my usage. Of course the two difficult months were December and January with the combination of little sunlight and high demand and probably lower CoP from the heat pump

I figure if I can squeeze some more efficiency from the system I might make it over the line

One (insane) idea I had was to get a small wood pellet stove to supplement the heat pump in winter. I was thinking I could make my own biomass pellets from grass cuttings and plant waste

From what I've found, you can get feed pellet machines and a waste shredder for a couple of thousand. My theory is I'd use the machines in summer to make pellets and maybe keep them in a dry store for a few months until winter so they're dried and ready to go

Actually making biomass pellets seems tricky, there isn't a set recipe or ratio, it's more that you need to tune it for what you have. It needs the right ratio of green to brown plant waste, so some wood like waste is needed. I suspect bamboo plus tree trimmings might do the job

This is like 3 or 4 projects down the list though, so could be 10 years before I get to it 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Slightly unusual, normally in Ireland for south facing May is best with June very close second. Then after a gap July, then after a big gap April, then August, September, March, October, the other months very poor

August starts Tuesday. Winter is coming 😂

(says I with huge battery full of charge, one EV full of charge, 360l of water at over 60C, a mining rig running and the other EV empty-ish now but hopefully mostly charged by the end of tomorrow)

First Day of Autumn!

only difference of July/Aug vs April/March is the heating demand of the house is much much lower.

Buffer Tank over the winter (on night rate immersions) worked v well, With a flow temperature of about 45-50c. Starting to look into heatpumps to heat it now.

I do think the radiator in the living room needs a flush, Not hard to do just the faff of draining the system and taking it out to flush.

Yeah I was kind of thinking of doing something similar, have the pellet stove heating a buffer tank which also has immersion heaters to heat from solar when available, or from a generator if the sh!t is hitting the fan

I was watching a video on draining and refilling the system and it certainly seems a lot of work. Biggest pain seems to be when there's one radiator on its own leg and you end up with water in that loop (and a shock if you try to remove it 😱)

That's actually one handy thing about the heat pump and other external heating systems, the drain valves are outside already at the lowest point in the system and when a surface drain close by. There's also a drain valve in the hot press which I think is for the tank

If I ever get into home automation I was thinking of a system where you'd have automated valves on the drainage points as well as the mains water feed.

That way if you're on holiday and the system detected a flood (maybe water being drained when it shouldn't be) you could trigger the valves to isolate the mains and also drain out as much if the system as possible before it completely flooded the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I'm not sure about the house @ELM327 has but you couldn't use 30MWh in a domestic situation with a heat pump I think. I assume you mean output.

My input is only about 2500kWh for the HP yearly and plenty of people would be lower. Still hard to run any of that off solar and batteries in winter.

I'm making the figures up but he has a big rural detached property that I'm getting the idea isn't particularly well insulated. A median Irish house uses 2000m3 of gas, in his case probably 4000-5000m3 of gas, which is say 50000kWh, ok with a COP of 3 that is about 17MWh per year, not quite what I said, but a lot closer than the 2.5MWh you mention 😁 I'd love to have a newly built A rated house myself, but on the other hand I would have a lot less space for panels than I have now and I wouldn't have a drive way or a large shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I didn't know anyone was using 50,000kWh a year, I'm less than a fifth or sixth of that. That's a huge amount.

My own goal is to produce enough kWh per year to match what the house and car use. I will end up exporting and importing but I'll at least feel I generated enough renewables for all my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

25Kwp would generate an insane amount of electricity in the summer. So what happens to the excess after the battery is charged, the house needs are met and you've exported the max allowed? An earth rod? Would the ESB allow it?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Solar isnt like wind, If its not being used/battery/exported it just isnt generated.

And if you have more than you can export you could to stuff like crypto mining which is rather profitable if you have zero electricity costs. Could automate for a rig to come on when there is excess electricity. I'm a novice in Home Assistant / Node Red and even I would have a go of that myself.

Or just heat an outdoor jacuzzi. Or something 😁

• Advertisement

If there's nothing to use the electricity then the charge controllers will just throttle the output of the panels

Or as unkel said, you use some automation to find some creative uses for your extra power. In the case of the Victron system ELM is using, you could use Node Red running on the controller to trigger some relays or maybe send a wake on LAN signal

Could even just start/stop the process if delving that deep into automation.

Immersions are easier 😂

facinating. i have 8 acres up the back. round bale silage is cut off it once a year, idle the rest of the year...ye have got me thinking 🤣

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

You have 100 times as much space as me and I have 45 full size panels. Your aim so: deploy 4500 panels 😁😎

Oof, Once a year.. would be rough enough stuff 😂.

Although... Lease out for grazing? (And this an ad on agriland)

a great idea unfortunately there's only single phase running to the house. nearest 3 phase is at least half a mile away.

I heard there were solar power companies looking to lease land for commercial solar farms

You could rent most of the land out for this and seperate out a small area for 50 or so panels for your own house?

Certainly an option. My 7.8kW array will be going live in September. After that I need batteries and then I'll assess the situation in the spring when I have a winter's worth of data.

• Advertisement

Not me selling and I don't need another me3000 😂

going cheap right now, but it's bidding.

Advertisement