Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That’s the cue cards. Even when he gets an answer from a guest that opens a door for further probing Tubs slams it shut because there’s no cue card question for him to ask. There’s no spontaneity to him at all.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He would be faster if the interview was prepared. But thats the whole potin of the show

It was always a "RTE chat show"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I know.

In relation to "RTÉ Chat Show" I mean it at times lost its sense of humour because of the typical "Tragic RTÉ Chat Show Guest".

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

From the little I have ever watched or listened to him, he doesn't come across at all as well read, to me. All part of a persona he cultivated, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If a change in RTE is going to take years, RTE is fooked.

• Advertisement

Didn’t Peter kaye whip the cue cards off him one time 😂😂😂

That war film Cuba was selling was shite anyway, especially Cuba 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

😂

Do a practice shoot on the counter?

Get yer ‘eye’ in like?

• Advertisement

anyone remember the interview with terry prachett, poor man was on the way out and opted to sign up to dignitas and die peacefully, tubs went full Uber Christian judgemental on him , thing is though these guests are clever and you can see clearly they know the interviewer is not an intellect

same with Dawkins , tubs asked if there’s a god and obviously Dawkins said no “now mr Dawkins you’re in Ireland “ as if he’s the self appointed moral guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That's the most cynical assessment of a very innocuous situation

At that stage, Sinead was knocking 50 and Gay was knocking 80. Neither of them were in the slightest bit mortified or embarrassed.

Do you leave the house much!?

Tubridys main flaw is he interviews people on the assumption the viewers are stupid and won’t understand complexity, so he asks really stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

IMO The LLS lost its sense of edginess (and I mean in a positive way) when Pat Kenny took over to present the show. In my view it became Kenny Live on a Friday night.

I thought the LLS worked best when it devoted certain parts of its program format to engage in debate. When it did that, it had that certain feel (for me anyway ) of being in a small pub lock in and the people present are all engaged discussing some topic that made headlines either nationally or internationally. It didn't feel like some regular run of the mill RTE current affairs audience participation program, it carried a certain credibility especially when the show would run over time. Under Kenny and Tubridy it's just became another light entertainment chat show that other networks abroad can do better as they have access to more A Listers etc.

What I would like to point out though is that we just simply don't have home grown talent in the form of what graced the LLS studio during the 70's and 80's and some of that talent gave it some of that edgieness. What I've seen Tubridy "interviewing" on numerous episodes of the LLS is all eye candy and no substance and I just switched off and of course the standard of the interviewing I have always questioned. I can't remember the last time I actually looked at the LLS from start to finish.

Will things change with or improve with Patrick Kielty? Will it remain as just another "also ran" light entertainment show with a bit of comedy thrown in from the presenter as in another Jimmy Fallon/Jimmy Kimmel type wannabe? The one thing positive that I can take away is that Tubridy is no longer involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s not cynical. He was squirming, as anybody would be. She told the story in a clearly sexualised way. And why would she be embarrassed? It was her telling the story of Gaybo having a feel!!

It was very deliberate. She shouldn’t have told it, as the only logical reason for her telling it, and telling it like she did was to embarrass or humiliate him. It’s hardly not going to. Married man old enough to be her father..

btw, I couldn’t give a toss for it. I simply recall watching it and seeing it as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Most companies deal with agents, they just arent called agents. In IT, your vendor will have an account manager whose job is basically the same as an agent in showbiz. I have een first hand the woo-ing of clients, Practically every sporting venue in Ireland have corporate boxes for this very purpose. One place I worked used to bring the top spenders to the 6 nations in the Aviva and many a deal was made over smoked salmon and pinot grigio.

In the same way that its the job of an agent to get as much money for their client - and for themselves as possible, an account managers job is to sell as many licenses or servers or firewalls as possible to the company.

Its the job of the procurement manager in the company to get the best deal for the company. Not go with the first vendor that rings them up. This is a problem, not just for RTE and Manchester United, but practically every company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Tubridy's main purpose when interviewing is to get attention for HIMSELF. He always angles interviews to make him look good or to do some fake self deprecation. He will often try and impress the interviewee so that he looks good. It's always all about Tubs. He does not care about any of the answers or whether the viewer gets entertainment or insights. He will also try the Joe Duffy misery line of questioning where possible because he knows people love Duffy for that misery stuff.

Tubs is all about attention seeking. He is not real. He reminds me of one or two of the posters here. You know them, we all do.

The 1 hour radio slot is his daily attention seeking fix. He doesn't care about the content, just the sound of his own voice.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I didn't know that but he should have been fired as soon as he recused himself from the Marty car debacle. He should have been ready to tackle any internal affair.

The Toyman is dead to me now but I bought some new toys with the barter account.

I'll be coming for all ye dirtbirds on this very board.

Get your TV Licence in order.

I think you might be mixing Bakhurst up with Adrian "Mole" Lynch.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

As mentioned above, the days of the panel arguing their points of view, were great.

Tubridy would be petrified whereas Gay Byrne thrived on that. Tubridy locked into sad stories and tbh it's the last thing most people want to watch on a Friday night.

It's extraordinary when you see clips of the people who featured on the LLS in the Gay Byrne era. Genuinely world famous musicians, singers, actors and actresses. I don't think that RTE would get them now anyway, regardless of who was hosting.

It will be interesting to see how Patrick Kielty gets on and what approach he will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Not really, he picks people off the street who do random stuff and has interview with them,

People the mighty Tubs would cross the road so he doesn’t have to walk past them.

It is very clear to me now once the external auditor rang the bell on the barter account that it could not be unrung.

The feather could not be put back into the pillow.

Every pig at the Montrose trough stopped gorging themselves that very day and knew it was squeaky bum time.

All of them. Dee immediately knew she was gone. Ryan knew it was a good run and he had to resign.

They all knew immediately the only problem was how are we going to go about this and recover.

Whats the official story and script we all stick to?

Those hours and days affter the iceberg hit would make fascinating reading of texts and email.

• Having attended his medical bro, I can attest that the ego is RT’s alone, I even heard from a friend who is very much in the know, the bro spends many extra hours behind the scenes, not on his wages sheet, so to speak, trying to do the very best to get patients fast tracked on treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

What did Ryan resign from as a result of the external auditor?

Oddly The Currency ran that interview, I wonder if Ian Keogh was party to that decision. Strange case for Tubs and NK on the currency. ... Sam Smyth that might be why!

______

Yesterday

• You are so right Hilda, even as a young child I loooved the panels in spite of not quite knowing what the arguments were about, I loved the drama and theatre of it all, the unpredictability, hearing my parents’ reactions, it was so entertaining and it was the background to my childhood, teens, adulthood. Gaybo WAS the old Internet.

We had Fred Astaire, Ella Fitzgerald, Peter Ustinov, etc. I had a friend, helped ghost write his memoir of undergoing a successful lung transplant when so many died undergoing this surgery or not to long afterwards. I and a friend tried to get him onto Gaybo’s LLS, not a hope in hell. Gaybo only took on A class celebs.

RT immediately hung up his boots on the LLS. Quick as you like, surprise to us all!

He wanted the invisible. Very vulnerable up there on the LLS once his mask slipped.

RT cancelled the visual side in the audio/visual and wanted hold on to the aural.

Keep a foot in the door while the storm blew off into the digital ether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

He doesn't do bland...

He does do scary though

Remember that Cadbury's Dairy Milk commercial? That still gives me nightmares.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement