Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about HAP - does tenant need those details from landlord

Options
  • 23-07-2023 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Renting out a house to someone. They informed us they will be applying for hap. No problem. They asked us to reduce rent. We did.

Then they requested we put a lesser amount of rent on contract, and they would pay the rest in cash. Declined this as we would prefer to do everything by the book. They reluctantly agreed.

They are now asking for details such has landlords PPS number and proof of ownership of house etc. Beginning to feel uneasy as there have been a few other issues too. Is this information needed by the tenant? I can't find anything online to suggest it is. From what I gather, the landlord fills a section of HAP form and sends directly to the county council? So they don't need this info for the application?

New to this, in case it's not obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

The council will look for these details for the landlord, your tenant should have an application form from the council. If you are uncomfortable giving it directly to the tenant (although they would need your PPS number for other things) you can always ask them to complete their part of the form and give it to you to send directly on to the council with your parts completed.

I don't know why this posted twice?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Questionsquestionsquestions

Thanks. From what I read in HAP booklet online, the landlord completes part B and sends directly to council.

What other things would they need landlords PPS number for?

I just wondered as I rented for years, and never needed a landlords PPS number for anything. Pretty sure I only ever had name, address and phone number of landlord.

Does landlord need to sign HAP form?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

PPS number needed to check for Landlords tax clearance cert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just curious as to why you agreed to reduce rent?

And what benefit would lying on the form be to you? What if you agreed to this and they refused to pay the balance?

• Advertisement

So County Council need it but not the tenant as far as I can see.

Reduced rent as they asked us to and I don't want to see anyone struggling.

Lying on the form would be of zero benefit to us, and not something we have any intention of doing anyway. As I said, we want everything done by the book.

The issue has now been sorted, many thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No good deed goes unpunished, if you are in a RPZ, you will now be locked in at that rent rate going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

You're not yet. The list of RPZs is updated from time to time, so just be aware that your area could become an RPZ in the future, likely with little or no warning, and you won't be given the option to make a final adjustment to your tenant's current rent up to current market value when it does, so you'll be locked into a rate based on whatever you're currently charging your tenant when the government decide to expand the restrictions to your area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Completely normal.

You can put the full rent on the HAP forms and the tenant is liable for the balance above the hap approved figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement