Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda traffic

Options
  • 29-07-2023 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I just came back from a few months living in Berlin and I dont know if its just me because ive been away but has Drogheda traffic always been this bad? It took me 50 minutes to get from my house to Tesco, the other side of town but I live in town. I got stuck in a 20 minute traffic jam in the middle of town going to tesco, on the way up past the bus depot got caught in another traffic jam behind a cyclist on a very dangerous road with no bike lanes.

On the way back, it took me another 45 - 50 minutes to make it home & got stuck in another traffic jam on Dominic street going onto west street. Ended up turning the car off and sitting there on the hill waiting a good 10/15 minutes for the traffic to move and it took another 10 minutes to get through west street. Ive never experience anything like it and ive drove in cities & towns all over the country. Im a good driver but I was so stressed from the traffic leaving town that I nearly caused an accident on a roundabout heading home, something ive never experienced before. The traffic situation in Drogheda is an accident waiting to happen, im surprised there arent more accidents caused. It shouldnt take nearly 2 hours to drive to and from one side of town to the other, I dread to think what its going to be like in a few years when the population has increased, theres no proper infrastructure for the amount of traffic on the roads, whats the point in building new houses without roads to support the traffic flow. Is anyone raising this issue with louth county council?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where do you live? Much quicker to turn over trinity Street than drive up north road if you're heading that way home. Go the toll to go to tesco rather then sit in the traffic .

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

That just makes no sense for me to drive trinity street or go the toll to get to tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Welcome home!

If you think the traffic is bad now (during school holidays), wait till September!

In addition, the Obelisk Bridge closes on 1st August for about 9 or 10 months, so the only option for people in Tullyallen to cross town (apart from the toll) is Trinity St/Bridge of Peace. I foresee chaos once the schools reopen.

I find crossing town faster by going down the Cord Rd and onto the north quays instead of using George's St/Bridge of Peace. Doesn't always work (depends on what's happening at the port), but generally it saves me time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i dont think it has worsened in a few months or even the last year or so ,its always been terrible as long as i can remember.

When a river divides a town i always think they are worse off then those that dont have one, Crossings are limited to get to and fro.

But the traffic light system is something that can be addressed. 15 sets between north road and southgate is a joke.

As the biggest town in ireland and growing, new infarstucture ,bridges, roads, schools all need to be addressed before more planning for Houses is approved.

The new apartments( bus station and trinity street) just add to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's brutal on a wet school evening.

Don't see how lot of traffic makes you crash though. Stay away from Dublin in the mornings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement