Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Is this an exaggeration? Did you literally bring Tesla to a courtroom where a judge ruled in your favor four times? Or is this just a case of legal action taken where both parties settled out of court? Because there is a difference- Any rational car owner would say "its easier to just drive around in another brand" after being stung with the time and money on the first court case, let alone four. I don't think this story makes the point you think it does.

This post isn't true. If you read the article you would see that the Kona, for example, reached the advertised range. In fact, it underestimated the distance the car could travel.

Recurrent tested other automakers’ in-dash range meters – including the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the Chevrolet Bolt and the Hyundai Kona – and found them to be more accurate. The Kona’s range meter generally underestimated the distance the car could travel, the tests showed.

Secondly, its not comparable to include diesel, petrol or otherwise in this whataboutery. With these vehicles, the issue of overestimated range is not as big a concern as you can just refill your car. It takes longer to charge an EV.

One of the main issues is that Tesla appear to be the worst manufacture compared to other EV manufacturers for overestimating their ranges.

Pannone told Reuters that three Tesla models posted the worst performance, falling short of their advertised ranges by an average of 26%.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Their isn't a standard for the operation of in-car remaining range display. We do have standards for advertised range (WLTP for UNECE countries, and EPA range from the US).

If I had booked my '17 Ioniq into the Hyundai dealers to complain it wasn't getting the advertised 280km (NEDC range, replaced with WLTP) range they would of rightly told me that it wasn't worth investigating as the NEDC range was notoriously completely off from real world experiences.

Perhaps if you are so worried about the problem instead of using it to have a moan about Tesla you should start a campaign to get the regulatory authorities to implement a standard, here's the body responsible https://unece.org/transport, I'm sure they'd be delighted to work with you.

I'm curious as to what EV you drive, I find that most EV drivers rely on the battery remaining percentage instead of the guess-o-meter (GOM). Even battery percentages are a bit flaky with 1% at the start of the battery not necessarily matching 1% at the bottom of the battery.

Secondly, its not comparable to include diesel, petrol or otherwise in this whataboutery. With these vehicles, the issue of overestimated range is not as big a concern as you can just refill your car. It takes longer to charge an EV.

An inaccurate GOM is less of a concern than you think it is, what I find to be important is that the car has an accurate trip planning system that calculates the range for your route. I don't really car if the car thinks it has 200km of range left based on a random sampling of my recent drives. I do however care that when I set a destination will the car reach that destination with a suitable amount of battery remaining.

Here's a test of multiple cars by WhatCar UK, they tested them against their advertised rated range.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If this was any other brand, it would not have made the news. My bmw does not achieve the manufactures claims of ev range either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and neither did any of my ICE cars achieve their mpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe I read a different article to everyone else? The problem wasn’t that cars weren’t hitting their WLTP figures, it was that the GoM was being deliberately overly optimistic about the remaining range (in km) when fully charged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You've experienced a number of EVs, do you think their would be any value from a service appointment where the customer brings the car in, a tech runs a diagnostic and responds with yep that's working as expected. It's a waste of the customers time and a waste of the service centres time.

Tesla's GOM is programmed a particular way, other manufacturers do it differently, there's no common standard. The impact of a bad GOM above 50% when paired with the on-board trip planner is so minor that I don't see what the fuss is about.

You'd need to particularly pig-headed to ignore the trip planner on a journey and go off the range said X when I started my trip, therefore I'll ignore the decreasing GOM and battery percentage for the rest of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Core6

As an example of an ICE car manufacturer's figures Vs. real world figures, for my previous ICE engined car, the manufacturer's official figures were 58.9 to 68.9 mpg achieved and I average almost 45 mpg over 31,000 miles / 50,000 kms.

My mpg figures were absolutely accurate used on a fill-to-fill calculations and it was the most economical (ICE) car that I ever owned.

So my MPG figures are about 24% down on the lower official MPG figure.

My Tesla achieved between 295kms (winter) to 450kms (summer) - I didn't run the battery down to 0% but extrapolated the 100% range based on the kms covered and the % remaining.

That is between 40% and 8% down on the 491km advertised range. The winter range is lower than I expected but the summer range is good.

For both cars the usage would have a similar profile -- mostly suburban use with occasional long runs.

Separately, my ICE car fuel cost €4,100 over the 50,000kms or €82 per 1,000km. (for info, it would have cost €4,700 at today's fuel prices or €94 per 1,000km).

The Tesla has cost €225 over 10,000kms or €22 per 1,000km (that is mostly charging at home with just a few public charging stops).

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

You originally posted it in this thread, @ModelWhy posted it in another thread and it was moved here instead of one of the model specific threads after @unkel had replied to you on this thread, but as your post came after @ModelWhy's it appears 2nd.

In this case I think it's fair to say you are the original poster in this conversation, seems odd that your trying to hide that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

I only shared the link, I didn't write it.

In my experience, ALL car manufacturers tend to err on the side of exaggeration as they are in the business of selling cars.

I find it interesting (though not too surprising) that Tesla didn't say how bad the range is affected in the very cold weather (cold wet don't really get here, think a constant <-5C). All EVs will take a hit but none of them say it.

They should advertise a range of.. Well... Range for their cars, like "range: 250-450km" depending on the time of year and by country. But I don't think that'd help sales or EV adoption rates in a lot of countries.

Tesla are the target because they are the biggest EV maker these days... Not to mention the most "clickbait-y" one for various reasons.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

The Cork store and service centre now reported as open (J3 N25)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Anybody on here interested in the BYD seal(or han) at all i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

I'll be getting my first EV in the next 6 months. Most likely a M3 LR as I have a long round trip once a week for work (400 km on motorway with no option to charge it where it's parked during the day). In summer It should do it. I'll need to stop on way back in winter....

I've looked into other options and really waiting to see details on the Seal. Expecting similar price so real world range Will be the big thing. I like the look of it inside and out.

Waiting on news on the M3 refresh too of course, hoping for an extra bit of range 😄

100%. Some owners have had their service appointments changed from Dublin to cork, so great news.

Not particularly. The Atto3 is a great car IMO. It’s a pity MSL have priced it relatively high compared to other brands and other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah the updated M3 will be interesting alright especially pricewise, maybe BYD and TESLA will have a little price war?🤔💶

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Until other manufacturers have no issues with long distance travel, no. It has to be as simple as in a Tesla for me to switch brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

Any you read about this is just pure speculation until the official announcement. Nobody except the top Tesla execs know what's going to happen. The refreshed M3 may lead to reduced prices because of increased production efficiency so they can keep current margins while lowering prices. They may also maintain current prices and boost margins. One can only hope the former is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

I wish the government would tender national network development and award it to the likes of Tesla who have a proven track record. The ESB execs frankly haven't a clue how to properly develop and maintain a national charging network. A caveat for awarding the tender would be to open the network for all brands to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of claimed range my better half's diesel always shows a range of 860km when refilled, summer or winter, no matter the previous driving style.

It sounds like Tesla shows the wltp or whatever range at 100% no matter the temperature nor driving style. This may be done to prevent owners complaining about "range at 100% not being the same as when I collected the car" which seems to be a common complaint with new drivers. Often they contact the dealer.

In the above diesel case it's unlikely to ever achieve the claimed range in winter at high speed, and the range is quite accurate near an empty tank, so it does some funky calculations to get from 860km starting, to actual range before the tank is empty. It never jumps suddenly or goes back up. So similar happens with ICE and yes it can be misleading as we regularly travel 600km without refilling with diesel but are unlikely to get 8/900km on long high speed trips. If you lived in Australia and assumed you could travel 800km to the next city you might end up miles from any petrol stations. In Australia they recommend filling up when the tank reaches 50% when outside cities as petrol stations can be hours apart even on main roads between cities.

It's definitely confusing. I know some ICE cars show min/max ranges in the cars computers or mpg trip, mpg average, and it seems Teslas sat nav knows the real range and uses that figure. I have heard of people mid Tesla European trip getting rerouted to nearer or further away chargers due to range estimate getting better or worse than predicted earlier and car mid trip re-decides on the best stops to minimize stopped charging time.

I like to use EV database website for independent range estimates and a better route planner has good features to adjust for temperature, head wind and safety % to arrive with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

That's the most important thing to me. But then I obviously won't pay more money for a slower, less efficient, crap software, no (or very small) frunk car.

And a screen behind the steering wheel is not a priority, once you get used to the high res big single display, anything else feels like a step backwards. And a snappy interface please, it's not 2013 anymore 🤌

So for me to change from Teslas, the other manufacturers would need to really step up their game...

All five Tesla models tested by Edmunds failed to achieve their advertised range, the website reported in February 2021. All but one of 10 other models from other manufacturers exceeded their advertised range.

Again, its posters arguing against the article without having read it, because if they did, they would have found their arguments already discussed.

Posters have addressed the articles claims multiple times, you are choosing to ignore them in an effort to maintain your anti Tesla outrage.

Other manufacturers display a range prediction based on recent driving style and weather conditions, Tesla display a nominal rated range instead and only take into account recent driving on the energy app. They also include road conditions in the trip planner. There is no industry standard for how the GOM works.

The range remaining on the GOM is unreliable on all cars, experienced EV drivers usually rely on the battery percentage instead.

Do you think Tesla service centres should of gone ahead with service appointments to waste customers time when they reported that the GOM was working as expected. The article is framed in a way to attack Tesla's customer service, personally I think it was a good thing that they were able to run a remote battery diagnostic and not waste the customers time on a frivolous service centre trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As an Australian, I have never heard that 50% thing, probably because no one ever says it because it's so blindingly obvious to anyone who's ever ventured ouside a city. It's not very worthwhile as advice as there in all liklihood may not be anywhere to fill up when you get down to 50%.

My sister is in Australia her whole life. Never lets the car go below half full. She gave out to my wife while she was home last year as her tank was 1/4 full 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Does your sister live in a City? ;-)

I well remember setting out early one morning and looking very nervously at the low fuel warning light several tens of km out from Mt Magnet north of Perth - in a car with a 4L petrol engine. :-)

Made it on fumes I reckon. Yep, fill up when you can, but it's not always possible to keep it above 50%.

currently north of Sydney, Erina, Gosford, Terrigal area.

But had moved around a bit with work.

She probably heard it from someone years ago and just stick with it.

We all have our own traits. I used to fill up on payday. Irrespective of what the tank had, I’d fill it up on that day ⛽️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Although I disagree with cnocbui on a lot of things, I'd have to agree that there are many parts of Townsville-Darwin-Perth-Port Augusta/Uluru where you don't really have an option but to fill. In part due to the poorer fuel economy from the big engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just to go back on manufacturers driving ranges, mpg's etc.

Today's Sunday Times are reviewing the Peugeot 408 GT225.

Manufacturers mpg claim is up to 269.5 mpg. He got mid 40's.

Manufacturers pure electric range claim is 42 miles. He got 20 miles.

Mod Note: I've split the discussion on unkels court cases with Tesla to its own thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058307138/tesla-ireland-court-cases

• Advertisement

For anybody who want's to spend 30m seeing why the reuters article has a few holes. Bjorn has done an in depth video on it's points.

Of all the EV YouTubers he probably has the most experience with extended drives in varied weather conditions across many different EVs.

Advertisement